Page 12 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2910111213141522 ... LastLast
    Members

0 Not allowed!
    I started reading these self-help books last year, and it's made a massive difference. As mentioned, I read Jason Vale's "Kick the Drink Easily" book and it's definitely changed my relationship with alcohol. Drinking at home is gone completely, unless we have friends over. I will typically drink when out, but tend to hit the tonic water after a few. I don't want to give up drinking completely, but I don't waste drinks now - I only drink when I want to. That's a massive change.

This relatively easy change has also led to a little weight loss too - from 82kgs to 80kgs. Not massive, but I'm not really overweight either. The biggest difference I've noticed is mental health. I have never suffered from any particular mental health issues, but I definitely feel far more positive, don't over-think things, and am generally happier.
    First REMF goalscorer - EVER

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Mon nez est parfait! Knocky's Nose's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I'd disagree with nearly all of that. I think, in the modern day, those who drink 40 a day are very much judged. I also think part of the problem with drink, particularly amongst the middle-aged middle-class, is that it has become quite an acceptable thing to drink what could be considered heavily.
      Conversely, I'd respectfully disagree with nearly all of that.. !!

I think you mean 40 cigarettes a day (or at least I hope you do!) and people who smoke 40 a day may indeed be judged as 'fag ash' or 'old chimney bollocks' - but nowhere near as someone who gets drunk in their own home every night, behind closed doors, almost secretively. That's way 'darker' when judged against a heavy smoker, or persistent over-eater.

As for being acceptable to be a heavy drinker, it depends. If you're the one in the pub or bar who's laughing loud and playing the arse every single night you're a 'funny bloke / hilarious bird'. If you're chugging a bottle of wine or two, plus beer, plus spirits (or whatever you drink, heavily) on your own, in your home, every single night until you pass out on the sofa - that's something you'd want to hide. It's embarrassing, and you wouldn't even want to admit that to yourself, never mind others. If you drink heavily, regularly, you know you have an issue. 100%. Wether you choose to admit it or not, it's there - like a sodding great African Elephant in the corner of the room, perched next to the lampshade, staring at you....

Some people choose not to face it, and they are the people who rail against the people who don't drink - or appear on threads like this. Fair play to them, I don't judge. I've been the same in the past.
      Ce Qui Donne?

0 Not allowed!
      It's all gone quiet. How's everyone doing?

Day 10 for me. I'd have loved a glass of red last night after what was, by my standards, a long day. I didn't though, and this Friday evening is passing without any craving.

I'm sleeping like shit though - something I've found before when abstaining. Science knows nothing.

0 Not allowed!
      Day 6 for me... my normal beer on the train relaxed by...

Go me!!

0 Not allowed!
      Day 11 (or Day 11 AF - alcohol free - as they call it on the experiment). Not struggling but a big weekend coming up. Albion beating Liverpool will be a temptation. Saturday night out. Friends for lunch on Sunday. My plan? Be very aware of what I'm thinking. Be conscious of the triggers. It's working so far.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by FloatLeft View Post
      Day 6 for me... my normal beer on the train relaxed by...

Go me!!
      That was meant to say ‘replaced’ not ‘relaxed’
      Members

2 Not allowed!
      I decided to go with the 2 days per week of not consuming alcohol but found it easier to split those into 4 half days. Not drinking before midday 4 days per week seems to be working out ok for me.
      Living in bandit territory!

0 Not allowed!
      i have fallen off the wagon i'm afraid.....
      FLOUNDERING...!!!
      Members

5 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by sydney View Post
      i have fallen off the wagon i'm afraid.....
      Hop back on if you want to. But whatever you do please be kind to yourself. Falling off the wagon is not the end of the world.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      I'm doing it for Cancer research but since I have started I've had this stupid viral sore throat +cough so has made me feel rubbish. Although today in the supermarket I felt like licking the wine bottles lol!!

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
      I'm a DAFT bint and proud!!!!!!!!