Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] More than 100 firefighters tackle Croydon blaze

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
More than 100 firefighters are tackling a blaze at a self-storage warehouse in south London, the*London*fire brigade has said.

Twenty fire engines and about 120 firefighters have been called to the scene on Purley Way, Croydon, after the first calls to the emergency services at 7.47pm on New Year’s Eve.

Burning down your town again?

Steve_PPP

Oct 24, 2017
Burgess Hill
https://www.mylondon.news/news/south-london-news/live-updates-purley-way-fire-15615278?a

That'll be keeping the emergency services busy tonight :(

0_burntoutbuilding2.jpg

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Lovely shot there of a LFB Mercedes-Benz Atego with all 4 deliveries at work. :love:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I thought there a smell of burning in the air earlier on. I put it down to fireworks.

Hope no-one is hurt.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
My late grandmother’s belongings are in that storage unit.

So sorry to hear that as the things are irreplaceable. A sad loss to anyone who has items stored there. Really pleased that no one appears to have been hurt.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
So sorry to hear that as the things are irreplaceable. A sad loss to anyone who has items stored there. Really pleased that no one appears to have been hurt.

There will of course be exceptions but I would imagine a large percentage will just be "stuff" that doesn't fit in the spare room or loft anymore. I would also imagine those boxes of old newspapers turned into expensive paintings when making an insurance claim.

black & white seagull

Aug 29, 2003
Brighton

Thank you. We've got off lightly compared with others. All my grandfather's paintings are gone (they weren't valuable, but they were wonderful and a part of our family's history), as well as many family photographs. I've seen on Twitter that several people have lost every possession, as they had their stuff in storage while waiting to move house.

Steve_PPP

Oct 24, 2017
Burgess Hill
Looks like a total loss, feel sorry for those with their possessions now gone.

Dv0oCBUX0AA0oXJ.jpg

Having had a lot of stuff in a similar place in Crawley during my last house move, it makes me wonder how you even deal with making a claim on this. I didn't even think about it at the time, as my mind was on other things (legal aspects of the house move!). Would the storage companies insurers just pay out to all customers based on them writing a list of items (which could be exploited easily) with some upper limit, or would they just pay a flat rate of compensation per unit??

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Thank you. We've got off lightly compared with others. All my grandfather's paintings are gone (they weren't valuable, but they were wonderful and a part of our family's history), as well as many family photographs. I've seen on Twitter that several people have lost every possession, as they had their stuff in storage while waiting to move house.

Just wondering, how would you stand on you ur contents insurance if possessions are stored like this. Would you be expected to insure them or would the business renting the facilities have cover as part of their business liabilities?

black & white seagull

Aug 29, 2003
Brighton
Just wondering, how would you stand on you ur contents insurance if possessions are stored like this. Would you be expected to insure them or would the business renting the facilities have cover as part of their business liabilities?

You have to take out the storage company’s own insurance when you take on the unit. We took out the minimum cover, as there wasn’t really anything of material value in our unit. Hopefully those who had business stock and more valuable possessions had a higher level of cover.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Tempting, as it is, to score cheap points here I feel massively sorry for the folk who have just watched nans house contents to up the chimney.

Hopefully there's no giant palace flags, drums or other such treasures in there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here