Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Relegation

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
I saw something on here that got me thinking... at what point do we stop being concerned about any 3 teams out of the bottom 7 losing so they don’t catch us, and then start wanting “bigger” clubs to go down (thus in theory leaving weaker clubs in the Premier League for next season for us to stay above)

For example - would we at some point want Huddersfield/Cardiff/Fulham to start winning to send Southampton/Newcastle/Palace down - this in theory making 2019/20 easier to avoid relegation? (Clearly Palace are an exception to this as lots would want them to go down, and also vice versa so we still play them, but the concept applies)

I am not saying we are safe, far from it... just something to think about... and no matter how “mid-table” we become we will always be starting each season avoiding relegation.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
I think nobody is particularly safe and what could be a fairytale season one year could be a nightmare season the next, just look at Burnley! It doesn’t particularly matter who comes up and who goes down, we should treat every team exactly the same.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I think nobody is particularly safe and what could be a fairytale season one year could be a nightmare season the next, just look at Burnley! It doesn’t particularly matter who comes up and who goes down, we should treat every team exactly the same.

Why worry about next season ? As far as this season goes we are safe. It's all about where we finish now. Just enjoy a relaxed no frills season. Won't happen often.

D

Deleted member 18477

It’s never over until it’s over. It’s highly unlikely but we could still go down.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom

I was putting a slightly different angle on what you were saying - not looking at where we can finish this season, but looking out for other results so that next seasons division is weaker and therefore less likely to be relegated.

I may be alone in looking at other results and hoping they will go “our way” (if only for fun, not because I am worried) - but I think the definition of “our way” is changing...

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
Why worry about next season ? As far as this season goes we are safe. It's all about where we finish now. Just enjoy a relaxed no frills season. Won't happen often.

Don’t get me wrong, I am very confident with our form, I just don’t think it matters who the other 13 are next season.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Looking up rather than down would be lovely to finish in top half around 10th would do very nicely

Aye...not taking things for granted ..but I am taking more of an interest in the teams immediately above us ..of course once we've played West Ham/Liverpool and MU I might have changed my mind

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
It’s never over until it’s over. It’s highly unlikely but we could still go down.

This, really.

The start of every season is a total reset. The previous season's form is to be taken into account but can ultimately mean nothing.. The PL is an unforgiving place, and the strong can become weak frighteningly quickly.

Also bear in mind there'll be three teams popping their heads over the parapet. One or two might take a bullet and bounce back down if we're lucky - which will erase a couple of spots at most.

What we're creating is solid, though. Proper planning, sensible, measured, with great stability. We'll look back on these days in the future and smile.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Never, until we are mathmatically safe.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I saw something on here that got me thinking... at what point do we stop being concerned about any 3 teams out of the bottom 7 losing so they don’t catch us, and then start wanting “bigger” clubs to go down (thus in theory leaving weaker clubs in the Premier League for next season for us to stay above)
Although we're not safe yet, I'm already at that stage in not begrudging Cardiff the odd result.

For example - would we at some point want Huddersfield/Cardiff/Fulham to start winning to send Southampton/Newcastle/Palace down
Palace won't go down. They're not one of the worst sides, and they'll surely bring a striker in now, which will see them comfortably safe.

I am not saying we are safe, far from it... just something to think about... and no matter how “mid-table” we become we will always be starting each season avoiding relegation.
Agreed.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Over the next 18 months some larger clubs (but not colossal, as they would have people believe) such as Leeds and Villa will return, perhaps Sunderland after that. Hopefully not the Owls. Replacing the likes of Hudd, Cardiff and Burnley.

I don’t think we should be daunted by that prospect, as with relatively low spending and know-how, we’ve already beaten ManU, Arsenal and Everton. Plus by then the recruitment quartet, and CH with tactics, will be that much wiser.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Over the next 18 months some larger clubs (but not colossal, as they would have people believe) such as Leeds and Villa will return, perhaps Sunderland after that. Hopefully not the Owls). Replacing the likes of Hudd, Cardiff and Burnley.

I don’t think we should be daunted by that prospect, as with relatively low spending and know-how, we’ve already beaten ManU, Arsenal and Everton. Plus by then the recruitment quartet, and CH with tactics, will be that much wiser.

By the time that happens our key players would have clocked up around 100 appearances which will be key. The more we become established the bigger our wages/budget will be.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
It depends on which albion team plays in the next 18 games the one that played Everton or the one that struggled against Burnley. Personally think that we are safe (though that goes against my inborn worrying) and feel we should be looking at how high we can finish.

What I feel positive about is that in Andone & Bernardo we have got two excellent acquisitions , Locadia looks very good on the last 2 games (and long may that last) and we generally look like we are a team with a plan b and the players to match.

I know people have rated Propper for a long time but I have thought he was a bit too soft , dangerous at the back and not enough at the front. he has been brilliant in last 2 games and a lot more positive things in his game. I think this all lines up with the team playing more positively and allowing him to really show those skills.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here