Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Andy Madley today’s ref

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Only a handful of games in the premier league but I thought he was one of the better refs I’ve seen at the Amex (and not just because we won)

What think you

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
In thought so to, not sure what Warnock was going on about the other week

Stephen Seagull

Oct 6, 2015
Barcelona
Luckily I have been to the last two home games and thought the ref today was very good overall. They got the most important decision right, let play continue for Solly when the Everton player was feigning injury and wasn’t overtly card happy

Acker79

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
He was already heading toward his lino before our players started remonstrating with him about the goal. He knew it was a good goal, and got that spot on.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
Oct 17, 2008
I watch a LOT of football and have seen a LOT of Andy Madley via matches on Sky throughout his ascent through the football leagues.

Had a good game today, I thought. No major criticisms. Managed the game well, always up with play and physically fit. Didn’t make a drama out of anything.
One question though - I thought the linesman gave the offside, not the ref? I haven’t seen a lot of angles. So when he went over for his Russian linesman decision - the Lino was definitive it was a goal. So why did his flag shoot straight up?

I actually think it was the other way around and the ref overruled Lino although this seems to be dissenting.

While we’re on refs, I like when we have have Michael Oliver and in particular Chris Kavanagh who I recognise as the best ref in the league.

Mini rant - not safe for knuckle-draggers: Kavanagh has called off a game here, sent off at least one player of ours, we don’t always win when he’s on etc. Despite this he’s still my preferred ref. This is because I don’t, short of a disasterpiece, attribute our result/performance alongside the referee.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
One question though - I thought the linesman gave the offside, not the ref? I haven’t seen a lot of angles. So when he went over for his Russian linesman decision - the Lino was definitive it was a goal. So why did his flag shoot straight up?

I actually think it was the other way around and the ref overruled Lino although this seems to be dissenting.

Actually I think the ref said it hit an Everton player, did you see that and was it part of your decision. Linesman said he saw the offside but not the ball hitting the Everton player and they went with it.

Must have been at least 10 players between the linesman and the ball so actually good positioning from Madley to cover it

Acker79

Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I watch a LOT of football and have seen a LOT of Andy Madley via matches on Sky throughout his ascent through the football leagues.

Had a good game today, I thought. No major criticisms. Managed the game well, always up with play and physically fit. Didn’t make a drama out of anything.

My reading (having watched the MotD highlights) is that the lino saw both players in an offside position and instinctively raised his flag. The ref, seeing the flag go up had to double check because he was in a great position and saw that it was an Everton player who played the ball immediately. By the time the ref got to him, the lino had realised his mistake and quickly confirmed with the ref it was a good goal.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
Oct 17, 2008
Actually I think the ref said it hit an Everton player, did you see that and was it part of your decision. Linesman said he saw the offside but not the ball hitting the Everton player and they went with it.

Must have been at least 10 players between the linesman and the ball so actually good positioning from Madley to cover it

This is as I suspect - pretty much every match report I’ve read has said the other way around. The ref gave offside but reversed after consulting with his linesman

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
Oct 17, 2008
My reading (having watched the MotD highlights) is that the lino saw both players in an offside position and instinctively raised his flag. The ref, seeing the flag go up had to double check because he was in a great position and saw that it was an Everton player who played the ball immediately. By the time the ref got to him, the lino had realised his mistake and quickly confirmed with the ref it was a good goal.

Again, this.

Watching the game and brief replays is what I thought too, but the wording of match reports I spied after the game worded it in such a way to imply the Lino flagged to notify the ref his offside call was wrong - which would make no sense considering sightlines and view etc. Cheers :)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Only a handful of games in the premier league but I thought he was one of the better refs I’ve seen at the Amex (and not just because we won)

What think you
I think he had a decent game, but there were a couple of fouls that didn't go our way (IMO and according to the commentator on TNS, or whatever it's called). The couple of incorrect decisions didn't cost us, so we don't need to moan.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
8/10 didn't get sucked in by any play acting cards were all correct ......could have had a word with mina about keeping his arms down although wrestling seems to be an ever increasing part of the game these days.

One Teddy Maybank

Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Great ref. Only mistake IMO was not booking Richarlison for dissent and sending off Digne after the final whistle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea

This is definitely the case - I saw a slow mo clip which I posted on Twitter - very clear that Lino flagged, and Madley never didn’t give the goal, his instant response was ‘hang on, I’m going to speak to my assistant’ and gave it...

One of the better decisions I’ve seen by a ref - hope he doesn’t get turned by the current dross of refs in the league (Mike Dean etc)

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013

What think you
Agreed

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

While we’re on refs, I like when we have have Michael Oliver and in particular Chris Kavanagh who I recognise as the best ref in the league.

Mini rant - not safe for knuckle-draggers: Kavanagh has called off a game here, sent off at least one player of ours, we don’t always win when he’s on etc. Despite this he’s still my preferred ref. This is because I don’t, short of a disasterpiece, attribute our result/performance alongside the referee.

The lino did give offside, his flag was up.

I can't honestly say I agree with you on referees. I thought Madley today was by far the best referee I've seen probably in all of our Premier League games. He let the game flow, didn't let players get away with feigning injury every two seconds and managed their players' histrionics very well.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
What was he asking the lino. I didnt see deflection until saw highlights and wouldnt think lino saw it. So assume he was just telling lino it came of a defender

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
The 'play on' was spot on. Everton were in possession when Richarlson got shot in the head and as soon as we took it off them they expected us to kick it out of play? Well done Solly and good officiating. Oh and Richarlson suddenly got better some two minutes later. I'd have booked him.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I didn’t feel the need to shout abuse at him once in the whole game, so for me he had an excellent match :smile:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here