PREMIER LEAGUE

Venue: The American Express Community Stadium
Date: Saturday 29th December 2018
Kick-off: 15:00 GMT
Referee: Andy Madley
Assistants: Simon Long, Mick McDonough
Fourth official: Andre Marriner

TEAM NEWS

Brighton have no new injury concerns for the visit of Everton, but goalkeeper Mat Ryan is absent on international duty.

Centre-back Lewis Dunk returns from suspension and is expected to resume his partnership with Shane Duffy for the first time since 4 December.

Everton forward Richarlison is set to return to the starting line-up after scoring as a substitute at Burnley.

Ademola Lookman is in contention after missing two games with an ankle injury.

MOTD COMMENTATOR'S NOTES

Jonathan Pearce: Brighton should have beaten Arsenal after a timid opening. If they repeat their second-half form they can win this and make it a very creditable 33 home points from 2018.

A front three of Anthony Knockaert, Glenn Murray and Florin Andone would really trouble Everton. They rarely fail to score at home. Clean sheets are just as rare. But the first choice centre-backs Lewis Dunk and Shane Duffy will be together again.

With keeper Mat Ryan now away with Australia they could do with a win here to put them probably within 10 points of safety already.

Everton haven't won consecutive away league games in over two years. They'll find this a lot tougher than they did at Burnley. It's also five years since they triumphed in the last game of a calendar year. A draw wouldn't be surprising.

WHAT THE MANAGERS SAY

Chris Hughton on signing players in January: "I don't see us being too busy next month in terms of incomings.

"But we could see a few of our younger players heading out on loan."

Everton manager Marco Silva on the performances of Dominic Calvert-Lewin: "I am happy with him, but I want more because he has the quality to give more to us as a team and to improve more and more and more.

"He has some specific skills I like in a striker and he knows what I expect from him and the work we are doing with him.

"If he has started the last three matches, it is because he deserves it and I believe in him."

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• [*=left]Brighton have won just two of their 14 meetings with Everton, with their last victory coming at home in the First Division in 1982.
    [*=left]Everton have lost on only two of their seven visits to Brighton (W2, D3).
    [*=left]The home side has scored in 13 of the 14 fixtures between these sides, with the only exception a goalless draw at Brighton in the First Division in 1980.
Brighton

• [*=left]Brighton have 22 points after 19 Premier League matches, one more than they had at the halfway stage of last season.
    [*=left]They have lost just two of their last 12 Premier League home games, winning five and drawing five.
    [*=left]The Seagulls ended a run of three consecutive defeats by drawing with Arsenal last time out. However, they have only won two of their last nine league outings (D2, L5).
    [*=left]Brighton have failed to keep a clean sheet for a league-high nine Premier League matches, since a run of three shut-outs in October (all 1-0 wins).
    [*=left]However, they have scored at least once in their last 12 Premier League home games (W5, D5, L2).
Everton

• [*=left]This is Everton's 4,500th top flight fixture. They are the first club to reach this landmark.
    [*=left]Everton's 5-1 win at Burnley was their first in six league matches (D2, L3).
    [*=left]Against Burnley, Everton scored five goals in an away Premier League game for the first time since a 5-2 win at Sheffield Wednesday in April 1996.
    [*=left]Everton are aiming to win consecutive Premier League away games for the first time since September 2016.
    [*=left]The Toffees have not won their final match of a calendar year since 2013, when they recorded a 2-1 home victory over Southampton.
    [*=left]Five of the last eight goals scored by Lucas Digne have come from outside the penalty box, including all three of his goals for the Toffees.
    [*=left]Gylfi Sigurdsson has scored 12 Premier League goals for Everton since the start of last season, more than any other player.
    [*=left]Richarlison has netted nine goals in 17 Premier League appearances this season with Everton, four more than he scored with Watford last season (five in 38 appearances).

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My prediction is both Solly and Big Jurg have disasterous games and In an unprecedented move are both subbed off after 30 minutes.

Sorry chaps, I feel partly responsible.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
My prediction is both Solly and Big Jurg have disasterous games and In an unprecedented move are both subbed off after 30 minutes.

Sorry chaps, I feel partly responsible.

Standard
1adf25a13e0a2006eded907e07da1bc4.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
So excited

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Button or Steele, what was the poll result?

I’ve got a fantasy team to sort out by 11.00.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I was surprised to see that this is Evertons 4500th top flight game and they are the first to reach this figure.

A fact that the OP missed though was that Everton are the only team to score more than two against us in the Premier League this season.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
06:11 back to the early starts #DickHead
No Ryan so going to be goals. Just need to score more than them. We've got the players to do that. Home win.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
A 3-2 cracker!

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
Everton can be a real jekyll and hyde kind of team this season .... they have put some really good team performances but the next game been awful so depends which Everton turn up. They have some very good players but consistency is their biggest downfall much like the Albion so very much a game of who has the right mind set & going by recent times , who has the refs decisions going their way.

Predicted a 2-0 home win and still think thats how its going to go for an early Happy New Year.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Let’s hope today’s the day we see Murray and Andone partnered together!

———————- Button ——————-
Montoya —- Dunk — Duffy — Bernardo
Knockaert - Bissouma - Stephens - March
———— Andone ——- Murray ————

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Hmm. I used to be a fan of the way Andy Madley let the game flow but concerned that today is just his second PL game of the season and just his third overall. Always seems unfair that the Top 6 never get the refs they are trying out at this level.

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Button or Steele, what was the poll result?

I’ve got a fantasy team to sort out by 11.00.

BG says they're both "Championship at best" and he wants Stockdale back on loan, so I wouldn't bother if I was you.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Having a little look on their forum; a fair of arrogance on there and a bit of 'little old no mark Brighton' syndrome. They're a big club but the arrogance seems misplaced considering the last time they achieved anything of note was over 20 years ago..

The odd bit of homophobia too. Wouldn't expect anything less though tbf

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here