Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

new government on English Channel migrants !!!

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Officials on both sides of the Channel have warned of the dangers of crossing what is the world's busiest shipping lane in a small boat. Police have likened the journey to trying to "cross the M25 at rush-hour on foot".

Pfffffft.
No one bloody moves in M25 rush hour, no comparison!!

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
It doesn't actually say what the policy is though.

Shoot on sight?
Everyone welcome?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
This business about the channel being like a 6 lane motorway must be totally phooey. If 9 Arabs can get across on a lilo then it must be equivalent to a six lane motorway at 3 o'clock in the morning.

Makes me wonder why drug traffickers bother risking the airport.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I love that these folk just bob around off Dover and call the coastguard for a lift in.

Classy. Resourceful chaps like them must be attractive to UK employers. If I fell asleep on an inflatable doughnut off Worthing and came to in Ostend harbour I'd be dining out on the story for years.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
It's funny the BBC is making a big hooha about small boats trying to cross the Channel, when it is coming up to the vote in Parliament. As I understand it, there have been about 12 or so migrants (immigrants) caught recently, so hardly a major crisis and numbers not really up on previous years.

People who move around legally to work are migrants, so come in via airports and ferries.
Subtle language differences.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I am afraid they have taken part in a criminal enterprise and should go straight back to the Continent of Europe.

Knowing there is no future in this enterprise is the only way that the People Traffickers will be dissuaded (mind you catching them and banging them up wouldn't go amiss either).

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
It's funny the BBC is making a big hooha about small boats trying to cross the Channel, when it is coming up to the vote in Parliament. As I understand it, there have been about 12 or so migrants (immigrants) caught recently, so hardly a major crisis and numbers not really up on previous years.

Apparently 51 dinghies since Christmas - seems like a crisis to me! Also if you send boats out to intercept - what do you do with the migrants?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Apparently 51 dinghies since Christmas - seems like a crisis to me! Also if you send boats out to intercept - what do you do with the migrants?

I read 5 groups of boats and 23 people at the beginning of Christmas and then another 12 since so possibly 51 people rather than dinghies?
Anyway they get taken to detention centres, like the one at Gatwick.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
It's funny the BBC is making a big hooha about small boats trying to cross the Channel, when it is coming up to the vote in Parliament. As I understand it, there have been about 12 or so migrants (immigrants) caught recently, so hardly a major crisis and numbers not really up on previous years. People who move around legally to work are migrants, so come in via airports and ferries.
Subtle language differences.

Where have you been these last few months? Mars?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

They should be rescued, of course, that is just plain humanity.

..........and then put ashore back in France; they could be taken on board a ship under armed guard, their inflatable dinghy towed to within a safe distance of the French coast, then the would-be illegal immigrants could be put back on their inflatable dinghy and supervised back to dry land. At which point, hopefully the French police will have been alerted to destroy the inflatable dinghy.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
They should be rescued, of course, that is just plain humanity.

..........and then put ashore back in France; they could be taken on board a ship under armed guard, their inflatable dinghy towed to within a safe distance of the French coast, then the would-be illegal immigrants could be put back on their inflatable dinghy and supervised back to dry land. At which point, hopefully the French police will have been alerted to destroy the inflatable dinghy.

Why would the French agree to that?

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
I wonder why they aren't being stopped by the French !!?? Happy to be rid of them and they become our problem instead. Can't blame people fleeing these godforsaken dumps but we have a chronic housing shortage here, why should refugees who have travelled through several countries be housed ahead of people who have lived here their whole lives ? Take them back to French territorial waters.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here