Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

new government on English Channel migrants !!!

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
As I referred to many posts ago, quite a few are trying to reunite with their families. They may have a relative already here. War torn countries split families as they flee. It's not always convenient to make sure everyone leaves a bombed out town or village at the same time.

But there are procedures for doing that rather than doing it illegally either by the family in the UK making an application for a relative to join them or for the refugee to approach UNHCR, who have posts and officers throughout the region.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Not my definition of civil society, you make it sound like people escaping war and forced labour in places like Eritrea are on a summer vacation.

But think about it most of Europe can be deemed as safe so why choose to travel thousands of miles and be taken advantage of by people traffickers surely you would claim asylum in the first safe country you got to. The fact is they want to come to the UK because our resettlement programmes are better than elsewhere.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
As I referred to many posts ago, quite a few are trying to reunite with their families. They may have a relative already here. War torn countries split families as they flee. It's not always convenient to make sure everyone leaves a bombed out town or village at the same time.

When you make a refugee application in the first country you enter you can apply to have it handled by a different country if you family already residing in it, If you have a legitimate claim there is no need to cross the whole of Europe and then enter the UK illegally if you already have family here.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
But there are procedures for doing that rather than doing it illegally either by the family in the UK making an application for a relative to join them or for the refugee to approach UNHCR, who have posts and officers throughout the region.

When you make a refugee application in the first country you enter you can apply to have it handled by a different country if you family already residing in it, If you have a legitimate claim there is no need to cross the whole of Europe and then enter the UK illegally if you already have family here.

If you had to live in a refugee camp for years, in a tent with shared sanitation, whilst bureaucracy wheels grind slowly, I think you'd have a better idea of why these people pay thousands of pounds to get across seas and Europe.
We are safe, warm & well fed here. We haven't had to flee civil war.
I have a friend who is an Iranian Christian & fled Iran when the Ayoltolah took over in the 70s. She came to Britain, worked here as a teacher, paying taxes, after claiming asylum. Now she has gone to Greece to work in the refugee camps. Please try & look into the human side of their suffering instead of decrying their efforts to find their families & a better place to live.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
But think about it most of Europe can be deemed as safe so why choose to travel thousands of miles and be taken advantage of by people traffickers surely you would claim asylum in the first safe country you got to. The fact is they want to come to the UK because our resettlement programmes are better than elsewhere.

Very simplistic.

On my part our estate we have a Syrian family, an Afgan family and three groups of eastern Europeans. All of them work and pay taxes into the system, all of them pay rent funding landlords, they organise social days where they cook food for everyone, their kids all play with all the other kids. Why does it matter to you if they do that in France, Sweden, Germany or Gibraltar. The former have horrendous stories to tell and just want to return to their former life's, if that is ever possible.

So your term, 'they' is very simplistic. They are human beings that need our compassion, I believe many other European country's 'resettlement packages (sic)' are better and more accommodating than our own.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Very simplistic.

On my part our estate we have a Syrian family, an Afgan family and three groups of eastern Europeans. All of them work and pay taxes into the system, all of them pay rent funding landlords, they organise social days where they cook food for everyone, their kids all play with all the other kids. Why does it matter to you if they do that in France, Sweden, Germany or Gibraltar. The former have horrendous stories to tell and just want to return to their former life's, if that is ever possible.

So your term, 'they' is very simplistic. They are human beings that need our compassion, I believe many other European country's 'resettlement packages (sic)' are better and more accommodating than our own.

Well said. Lumping all illegals and objectifying them makes it so 'easy' to forget their suffering.

I watched a programme about a Syrian widow with two children who arrived in Leeds. She got a job but was struggling. She knew how to make feta, so she started making it & selling it on Leeds market part time calling it Yorkshire Squeaky Cheese.
Now she has a full time business employing 12 people.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
If you had to live in a refugee camp for years, in a tent with shared sanitation, whilst bureaucracy wheels grind slowly, I think you'd have a better idea of why these people pay thousands of pounds to get across seas and Europe.
I have a friend who is an Iranian Christian & fled Iran when the Ayoltolah took over in the 70s. She came to Britain, worked here as a teacher, paying taxes, after claiming asylum. Now she has gone to Greece to work in the refugee camps. Please try & look into the human side of their suffering instead of decrying their efforts to find their families & a better place to live.

I am taking a humanitarian side and have worked with people in UNHCR. All I am saying is that not every person coming here is fleeing persecution - some our economic migrants.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Very simplistic.

You have local personal experience but then have I but on a greater scale. Those families you mention are the successful part of the resettlement programmes. There is validity in both opinions.

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
You have local personal experience but then have I but on a greater scale. Those families you mention are the successful part of the resettlement programmes. There is validity in both opinions.

You don't talk in personal experience, you just say THEY..

I work in London a lot where it says you live on your avatar, I work with youngsters who have had to flee terrible wars and witnessed things possibly only the VET's out in Normandy today may have experienced in our lifetimes. Like the VET's they have great humility and a desire to work to try and give something back.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
You don't talk in personal experience, you just say THEY..

I work in London a lot where it says you live on your avatar, I work with youngsters who have had to flee terrible wars and witnessed things possibly only the VET's out in Normandy today may have experienced in our lifetimes. Like the VET's they have great humility and a desire to work to try and give something back.

You know nothing me or my background but it's obvious it is impossible for anyone else to have more experience and empathy than you so I will you soak in the glory of what a wonderful human being you are. Well done - round of applause - end of discussion.

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
You know nothing me or my background but it's obvious it is impossible for anyone else to have more experience and empathy than you so I will you soak in the glory of what a wonderful human being you are. Well done - round of applause - end of discussion.

Far dos, I do not know anything about you bar what is quoted on your avatar. I have never claimed to have any more experience or empathy than you. But glad you have responded to me highlighting of your term 'they' when branding refugees and immigrants with it.

At least we have our beloved Albion in common, take care.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

I am thinking of the human side of the suffering, that is why, unlike you, I do not support large numbers crossing multiple safe countries to reach another safe country and unlike you do not support the enabling of people traffickers to peddle their filth and drown people. I do support aid and help going to the most vulnerable who by and large are in refugee camps adjacent to their problem zones who have neither the wealth or even the health to undertake traumatic journeys. These people should have the priority of assistance from countries if they have the infrastructure to help.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here