Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] 5 litre ale kegs

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
I have yet another all day Christmas party today. I can't face drinking wine all day so I was thinking of buying one of those large ale kegs that have appeared recently. I drink ale, not lager, so I'm worried it might just be like a large can? If so I'd get bottles instead. Any advice appreciated.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
If you get to one of the local breweries with a shop then that's your best bet. Dark Star in partridge green offer all their Ales in 5 litre tins as do most of the others. The supermarkets offer the mainstream beers so less adventurous but you know what your getting.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If you get to one of the local breweries with a shop then that's your best bet. Dark Star in partridge green offer all their Ales in 5 litre tins as do most of the others. The supermarkets offer the mainstream beers so less adventurous but you know what your getting.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

100% this. Get to Dark Star. Theirs are fresh too compared to supermarket so only have a limited life (up to 2 weeks unopened, 3-4 days once opened)

They have about 6-7 of their beers available in them from memory. I went through an APA & Revelation keg this Christmas

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Agree with [MENTION=5265]Lethargic[/MENTION] and those Dark Star kegs are lovely, indistinguishable from what you get in a pub.

If you're in Somerset go find a brewery rather than the supermarket crap

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
I'm away from home so local knowledge is not an option. Might google something, but supermarket might be only option.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Cheers guys. There are a couple of micro breweries within 10 miles of where I am but they don't open until much later. Lesson learnt.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I have yet another all day Christmas party today. I can't face drinking wine all day so I was thinking of buying one of those large ale kegs that have appeared recently. I drink ale, not lager, so I'm worried it might just be like a large can? If so I'd get bottles instead. Any advice appreciated.

I’ve read that beer in cans is better than beer in bottles, and many of the breweries are moving over to, or have moved over to cans only. Apparently the beer stays fresher in the can, perhaps this is more to do with the craft brews which aren’t quite so mass produced, but even the bigger brewers are doing it so there might be something in it. Personally I don’t find a problem with beer in cans at all, and would prefer to buy cans as they are convenient too. Bottle conditioned beers excepted, there’s a lot to read online about it, cans do fair pretty well.

https://honestbrew.co.uk/craft-beer-cans-vs-bottles/
https://thetakeout.com/does-beer-taste-better-from-a-can-or-bottle-1824294844
https://www.thespruceeats.com/bottles-vs-cans-353100

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I had a 5 litre keg of Harvey's Old over Christmas. Not sure if it was ten 500 ml bottles or 5 litres of barrel Old but it was very nice, and just like from the pub.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I’ve read that beer in cans is better than beer in bottles, and many of the breweries are moving over to, or have moved over to cans only. Apparently the beer stays fresher in the can, perhaps this is more to do with the craft brews which aren’t quite so mass produced, but even the bigger brewers are doing it so there might be something in it. Personally I don’t find a problem with beer in cans at all, and would prefer to buy cans as they are convenient too. Bottle conditioned beers excepted, there’s a lot to read online about it, cans do fair pretty well.

i remain somewhat suspicious of the motivations for cans when they use the 330ml form rather than 500ml, with same prices.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
In addition to what's been said a lot of proper pubs do take outs, you can get 2 & 5 Litre takeaways from the Duke in Shoreham, not as cheap as direct from a brewery but top quality as opposed to pasteurised piss from a supermarket.

Not many good ales survive the bottling process without a significant change in taste.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Well my only option was to pop to the local tesco where I picked up a keg of Doom Bar. Not expecting much but we'll see. Next time I'll be a bit more organised.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
i remain somewhat suspicious of the motivations for cans when they use the 330ml form rather than 500ml, with same prices.

Same prices as what?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
In addition to what's been said a lot of proper pubs do take outs, you can get 2 & 5 Litre takeaways from the Duke in Shoreham, not as cheap as direct from a brewery but top quality as opposed to pasteurised piss from a supermarket.

Not many good ales survive the bottling process without a significant change in taste.

One of the only ales considered a "real" ale in a bottle is Worthington White Sheild. Lovely it is too.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Same prices as what?

330ml same price as 500ml, about £1.80 for either size in the supermarkets. large brewery brands do 500ml cans cheaper though, so conclude 330ml is favoured by the craft breweries because the higher margins.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Many many craft beer cans come in 500ml though. And a quick look at some websites shows prices are roughly pro-ratered when the amounts are 300 or 500. Do you have an example where this is not the case?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here