Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Catering at the Amex, has it improved?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
One thing that I have noticed since the start of the current season, is the lack of threads on the incompetance of the catering at the Amex.

Has it really improved? or have there simply been more pressing things to post on?

albiongirl

Jul 10, 2003
mileoak
I'm in the West Upper we are the poor cousins as we just have the basics compared to other stands

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
West Stand Upper has been poor since they took away the mobile bars at the back. They cannot cope serving food and beer together up there. Staff are sooooo slow and only the few senior staff know how to change a gas bottle.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
One thing that I have noticed since the start of the current season, is the lack of threads on the incompetance of the catering at the Amex.

Has it really improved? or have there simply been more pressing things to post on?

I'm sick of complaining, so I've just given up. I didn't even leave my seat at half time yesterday as last time I left on the half time whistle the game was on 49 minutes before I got back to my seat (without the pint I wanted).

The food is okay. Not exactly gourmet, but I wouldn't really expect that as it's all pre-cooked and heated for sale. It's the speed of service which absolutely irritates the crap out of me.

I will say again : vending machines serving cold beer in plastic bottles on the concourses. A pad on the front saying "how many beers?" - customer taps the required number - contactless payment - machine dispenses bottles. Fast, easy.

If that's too much effort and expense what about "beer only lanes" at the kiosks. Loads of pints already lined up - beer only - bish bash bosh. That'll save the "Derek... Derek... DEREK... was that a hot dog or a pie? A pie.. okay... what about Dave. Dave... DAVE? A what pie? Oh.. crisps.. okay. Bob.. Bob.. BOB.. come on, I'm being served..." knobheads.

It's not the be-all and end-all to me (which I why I've stopped bothering) but it's missed revenue for the club - and as a rule, a man with a couple of beers in him tends to get more 'involved' in singing and cheering... which we all want.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Not sure whether it's improved or not, but it's certainly got more expensive. Used to have at least a couple of pints and a pie but have gradually cut down because it's over the top expensive and you have to queue ages for it. Just had a cup of tea before the game yesterday. Sad times in that regard

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
NO I had a confrontation yesterday. Due to the stupid kick off time I wanted to try the meal deals so opted for the £6 pie and soft drink so asked does a soft drink include Tea or Coffee. Nobody behind the counter in West Lower knew the answer and as I said if you are selling it and dont know how should I be expected to. After asking a young girl on the Harveys Mobile Counter ws told to go back and ask in a loud voice so that the chap in a black tee shirt heard as he was a supervisor or ask him, This I did and he came to ask what the problem was and he said I dont know but told the lady to serve us and just enter our coffee as a soft drink on the till.

I am sure that I am not the first person to ask that question I must say that the Steak and Ale pie exceeded my expectation after having not had one for 4 years or so.

Incidentally it was pointed out to me that the milk tubes in West Lower are all out of date.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
NO I had a confrontation yesterday. Due to the stupid kick off time I wanted to try the meal deals so opted for the £6 pie and soft drink so asked does a soft drink include Tea or Coffee. Nobody behind the counter in West Lower knew the answer and as I said if you are selling it and dont know how should I be expected to. After asking a young girl on the Harveys Mobile Counter ws told to go back and ask in a loud voice so that the chap in a black tee shirt heard as he was a supervisor or ask him, This I did and he came to ask what the problem was and he said I dont know but told the lady to serve us and just enter our coffee as a soft drink on the till.

I am sure that I am not the first person to ask that question I must say that the Steak and Ale pie exceeded my expectation after having not had one for 4 years or so.

Incidentally it was pointed out to me that the milk tubes in West Lower are all out of date.

With hot drinks being cheaper since flasks were banned are you sure it wouldn't have been cheaper to buy a pie and a hot drink without the meal deal

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

What really nags at me about those milk tubes, is that it's sooo difficult to open them.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
With hot drinks being cheaper since flasks were banned are you sure it wouldn't have been cheaper to buy a pie and a hot drink without the meal deal

I didnt want a pint as they only sell River Ouse Water Rubbish. I wanted a pie and a coffee rather than a pie and Coke or 7 Up.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Catering is dreadful. We've just given up complaining about it. Sodexo are useless but getting rid of them and the agency staff / students would mean everything was even more expensive.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Gut feel is queues have generally been shorter/quicker this season in the WSU but I wonder if it's just that more people now swerve the catering completely.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Gut feel is queues have generally been shorter/quicker this season in the WSU but I wonder if it's just that more people now swerve the catering completely.

Think WSU catering just gets swamped by sheer weight of numbers really. Hard to see how that could ever not be the case other than Barber introducing Speedy Catering ticketing. And for sure there'd be plenty daft enough to pay it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here