Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion win 'Programme of the Year' for the second year in a row

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Congrats but bit like the FA Cup...no longer relevant, dare I say. How many sold these days, excluding the thousands given away FOC in 1901 etc?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Regret to say that they are merely another revenue stream and not fit for purpose. In the old days they were cheap, disposable and fitted in your pocket. Today you need a fortune and a plastic bag to take it home. Most of the info in them is on line and you get up to date team news on your phone from the bbc website. Whilst my collection goes back to the late 50s, it stopped when we went corporate.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
At £3.50 It's good value. Wonder what sales are like these days.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Regret to say that they are merely another revenue stream and not fit for purpose. In the old days they were cheap, disposable and fitted in your pocket. Today you need a fortune and a plastic bag to take it home. Most of the info in them is on line and you get up to date team news on your phone from the bbc website. Whilst my collection goes back to the late 50s, it stopped when we went corporate.

£3.50 is hardly a fortune

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Easily the best in the top flight. Have seen some very poor programmes this and last season. Seem to remember the Wolves one was pretty good when they were in championship.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
To some people.

I think the comparitable cost of a 6d programme from the 60s is around 56 pence today.

My season ticket at the Goldstone ground was cheaper that a single match ticket cost yesterday, if you can afford to attend a match nowadays £3.50 isn't much.

el punal

Bloody hell mate, did you have a happy Christmas or what? If you don’t want to buy a programme you don’t. Many people do as it’s a souvenir of attending the match. Of course you can get all the information on-line or on your phone, but that’s not the point - this is an award given to the club and the people who produced a publication through all lot of hard work, research and inspiration. Just give credit where credit’s due - even grudgingly.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I can understand that for a one-off trip to the Amex then a programme would be a really nice souvenir of the occasion, especially for kids. But are there really grown men or women out there who bought a programme v Arsenal yesterday (Wednesday) and will be buying another one v Everton on Saturday? Sorry, but that's too trainspotterish for words. Haven't you got phones to go to?

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
I can understand that for a one-off trip to the Amex then a programme would be a really nice souvenir of the occasion, especially for kids. But are there really grown men or women out there who bought a programme v Arsenal yesterday (Wednesday) and will be buying another one v Everton on Saturday? Sorry, but that's too trainspotterish for words. Haven't you got phones to go to?

Gotta take issue with this. Not only is the programme beautifully produced and excellent reading, I view it as part of the matchday experience. And no, I don't keep 'em going back to the year dot, although I do have the cup final one somewhere. Funnily enough, I don't want to read the same on my 'phone, which is pretty useful for talking to people but limited otherwise...

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
To some people.

I think the comparitable cost of a 6d programme from the 60s is around 56 pence today.

So the price has increased by 6.25 the original price quoted by you (granted, i don't know what year in the 60's you are quoting, so the increase may be a lot bigger than this)

So adding in some other examples for balance:
Cigarettes (1960) cost 5 shillings for 20 (25p), now they cost just over £10 on average - 40 times the price
House prices (1960 average) £2,530, now it's £357,220 - 141.19 times the price
Beer (1960 average) 8p a pint, now (Brighton average) it's £4.24 a pint - 53 times the price
Average wages in 1960 were (best anwser i can find) £700, In August 2018, Monster's figures showed women earning an average of £25 303 and men earning an average of £30,524 - 36.14 times as much, and 43.60 times as much

So is it an really unreasonable to charge £3.50 for a programme?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Bloody hell mate, did you have a happy Christmas or what? If you don’t want to buy a programme you don’t. Many people do as it’s a souvenir of attending the match. Of course you can get all the information on-line or on your phone, but that’s not the point - this is an award given to the club and the people who produced a publication through all lot of hard work, research and inspiration. Just give credit where credit’s due - even grudgingly.

No, I give full credit to those responsible for its content and production. They are clearly doing their job extremely well. I am sure it is value for money for what it has become. My point was more about the size, quality and detail in the whole thing and whether it’s worth buying one each week bearing in mind the cost. In my opinion is isn’t and would prefer something cheaper and disposable, but I don’t have a problem with those who think it is.

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
Congrats but bit like the FA Cup...no longer relevant, dare I say. How many sold these days, excluding the thousands given away FOC in 1901 etc?

But those in 1901 pay more, so technically they pay for the programme and anyway it’s a damn good read - I love it!

el punal

No, I give full credit to those responsible for its content and production. They are clearly doing their job extremely well. I am sure it is value for money for what it has become. My point was more about the size, quality and detail in the whole thing and whether it’s worth buying one each week bearing in mind the cost. In my opinion is isn’t and would prefer something cheaper and disposable, but I don’t have a problem with those who think it is.

Fair enough. :thumbsup:

For what it’s worth I remember finding a load of Swindon programmes in the West Stand at the Goldstone. This was after we played them around 1966 or 67. To a football fan this was an absolute treasure trove. I don’t know how or why they were there but there were dozens of these Swindon verses whoever progs, plus gems from other clubs as well. By the way, the size of them (Swindon prog.) was like a small note book - strange.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here