Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] When was the last time?

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
For years, in the lower leagues, we were often selling our better players to bigger clubs [to make ends meet].
More recently, we've tended to only ship out those players who are not regular first-teamers and the strategy of keeping our better players has got us to where we are today.

So, when was the last time we allowed a regular first-teamer to be sold?
I fear, we now have several players that are on the radar of seriously big / wealthy clubs and losing them, even for a big price, could threaten our PL existence.

Just look at Stains as a quick example, van Dyke and Luana both went to Liverpool for good money and Stains went from PL mid-table-ish [around where we are now] to PL strugglers.
If we had big offers in January for, say, Ryan, Dunk, Stevens & Propper and lost a couple of them, could we sustain that?

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I think Chris Hooton is more sensible than that, as is Tony Bloom...

If there was any kind of selling strategy it'd be to only sell one of our 'star' players if we already had a nailed-on replacement who could very quickly be brought up to a similar standard after a minimal amount first team games...

The way we buy means we don't have to be a selling club. The current strategy seems to be we scour the foreign leagues for bargains, develop them into players who would be worth 2-3 times what we paid if we bought them from a British club (or already developed), but.... if it doesn't work out we can sell them and get our money back. Genius tactic if that's the intention.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
We seem to have sold virtually none in recent years... we either let them go on a free or send them out on loan. We'll soon be slagged off like Chelsea for hoarding and not playing talent to stop other clubs having them!

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
The setback caused by selling Ulloa was huge and nearly got us relegated. I'm certain Bloom won't let that happen again! Obviously every player has their price but we won't be selling anyone unless we decide we can cope without them

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
The setback caused by selling Ulloa was huge and nearly got us relegated. I'm certain Bloom won't let that happen again! Obviously every player has their price but we won't be selling anyone unless we decide we can cope without them

The reality is that if a top 6 club comes in for any of our players and offers £100k+ per week wages they are as good as gone. We actually seem to be in a lucky situation where many of our squad are ok for mid table prem level but no where near the level needed to be top six.

I’d say Dunk is the only one close and Ryan may also be getting noticed but would only be wanted as a reserve keeper at that level. Other than those two who would even be near and therefore what’s on offer isn’t really any better than what they currently have. Bissouma and Bernardo could eventually?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here