Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] NSC history

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Do you remember the days on here when people used to wax lyrical about the handful of absolutely huge Goldstone crowds? The 33,000 v Rochdale, the 31,000 against Blackpool in 1978, the queues for the league cup game against Derby, the 28,800 v Norwich, 26,467 against Arsenal and the 25,800 against Southampton?

People used to chunter away about these occasions fairly regularly barely a decade ago (and some of us have been on here since the 1990s).

I think we forget, it's absolutely amazing isn't it? Our announced crowds in the Premier League just don't dip below 29,500, ever. Hell, our Amex gates in the Championship were always well above average.

Sometimes I think we all take these halcyon days for granted a bit. I don't just mean feeling annoyed that March didn't put away a presentable chance to beat a club with regular Champions League aspirations, or squabbling over whether or not our FIFTEEN MILLION POUND striker is pony or not, but fact that we are all supporting a pretty big club these days.

This isn't posted for any reason except that I just thought I'd get this off my chest as I'm a little annoyed that after following this club for decades through some times when we've had some utterly gash sides, my Albion mojo is somewhat missing. [emoji38]ol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nearly all of that.

Nothing worse than Rosy specced 'in the good old days...' 'but do you remember when...'

Esp when what they remember is nothing like what actually happened.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Do you remember the days on here when people used to wax lyrical about the handful of absolutely huge Goldstone crowds? The 33,000 v Rochdale, the 31,000 against Blackpool in 1978, the queues for the league cup game against Derby, the 28,800 v Norwich, 26,467 against Arsenal and the 25,800 against Southampton?

People used to chunter away about these occasions fairly regularly barely a decade ago (and some of us have been on here since the 1990s).

I think we forget, it's absolutely amazing isn't it? Our announced crowds in the Premier League just don't dip below 29,500, ever. Hell, our Amex gates in the Championship were always well above average.

Sometimes I think we all take these halcyon days for granted a bit. I don't just mean feeling annoyed that March didn't put away a presentable chance to beat a club with regular Champions League aspirations, or squabbling over whether or not our FIFTEEN MILLION POUND striker is pony or not, but fact that we are all supporting a pretty big club these days.

This isn't posted for any reason except that I just thought I'd get this off my chest as I'm a little annoyed that after following this club for decades through some times when we've had some utterly gash sides, my Albion mojo is somewhat missing. [emoji38]ol:

Great post :thumbsup:
I think you are just saying what every Albion fan old / new feels about their club, not everyone will agree as to the views on the club.
But hey, thats NSC, enjoy more tittle tattle in 2019 :albion2:
But we are still brilliant though :blush:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Good post. But....Your Albion mojo is somewhat missing? Mine’s very present after yesterday.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Good post. But....Your Albion mojo is somewhat missing? Mine’s very present after yesterday.

Same here, really was a good game yesterday and thought we were excellent and competed. Such a shame we did not play both halves against Chelsea at home.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I've been on here since the 1990s and remember those posts. And while we're at it what's happened to the lunctime sandwich thread? At least dogs in costumes made a brief return the other Friday.

The thing is, though, the big games at the Goldstone WERE superb. That FA Cup match against Southampton? I got to the North Stand about 1.30 and it was already packed. They were keeping their fans outside for some reason and they all poured in about 2.30 to a huge chant of "who the ****ing hell are you?". The Arsenal game in 87-88 was similar but the promotion game against Bristol Rovers that season also had nearly 20000 there - for a third division game.

BUT - I can also remember standing in a half empty North Stand with 8000 in the ground and about 100 of us singing, Most of the away games in the late 80s and early 90s saw about 1000 of us go to London and probably less than 250 to anywhere north of Watford.

These days the default - the norm FFS - is 30k at home and 2-3k away. Signing anyone who isn't an international is a bit m'eh and I was able to bin off the game yesterday for my friend's Boxing Day party without any real feeling that I was missing out. There'll be another one along shortly. So, I mostly agree.

Where we probably differ is that my mojo is fine. Yes I was ok with missing yesterday but I can't wait for Everton on Saturday or to continue this amazing journey. I've been through my "The Championship is better, we're in a relegation battle every season now" phase and come out the other side. If we can beat the clowns up the road with 10 men, if we can beat Man U twice in league games, if we can make a decent Arsenal side look ordinary then I'm fine with that. Precisely because I do remember standing in a half empty North Stand watching Mike Farrington or Richard Tiltman flail about against Oldham or Barnsley.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yes, two reasons. Firstly, neither of my sons nor my daughter are remotely interested, and secondly, getting one-off tickets is (debatably) a bit of a ball-ache and certainly quite expensive.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England

Very much so. Watched the game with my villa mate yesterday. Hes always quite astounded with snippets of information I share, be it about bloom, the academy....

Yesterday it was a picture of Withdean, (what 8 years ago) vs a picture of Falmer and Lancing, how some fans are quite dismissive of our failed 14million player who's just put us level against Arsenal. And how many OGHs we could have bought with that. After years of mid table obscurity in the PL we discussed the pros and cons of championship football (or lower) vs the top flight.

Yet we still complain. He doesnt keep much of an eye on the premier league at the moment and is very much enjoying the Birmingham Derby and knowing more games are winnable where they are sat. A refreshing change he says

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

I am trying to learn to enjoy where we are. The progress that the club has been through is simply phenomenal. In recent years, I think we've all been carried along, like a canoe on rapids, in such a way that it was difficult to take in the significance of the Amex and what Tony Bloom has done for our club. In the war years, it was easy to feel 'part' of what was happening through the protests to being rained on at Withdean and going to misbegotten places like Rochdale on a cold February Tuesday night.

You are right, the club is BIG, certainly by our previous standards and these days are surpassing the glory days of the 70's and 80's but where our progress until promotion 2 seasons ago was measurable and rapid, with the step up in quality, our rate of improvement is slower.

Perhaps the feeling of lack of mojo comes from the sense that we are almost at the pinnacle of what the club can realistically achieve? The journey is often more interesting than the destination, and we are pretty much there.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Its quite funny comparing actually. A micro binfest the other day on why a glory supporter in NYC is a) "supporting" us in the first place b) why has the Seagull on his flag got a pair of boots on

First world problems

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes

Bang on until the last line.

Increasingly this season, the atmosphere has been growing more meh each game. Chelsea? Whatever. Arsenal? Just the 1 goal and MoM performance from the £15m striker. Matching the gooners but let's leave before the end. Makes me sad. Be careful what you wish for Brighton fans. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
From squeezing into a packed Goldstone as a kid in the ascendancy late 70's, big teams early 80's, cup runs, to sitting or even laying in the sun on an empty east terrace with maybe 20 other people, watching donkeys kick it into touch regularly, taking what seemed likemore fans to Leyton, Fulham etc than we got at home! . . .Doncaster, Hereford, Gillingham, MrMagoo at Withdean (did it for me, gave my season ticket up) and now. WOW. I struggle to get tickets, still get frustrated at performances, but it's a different world.

I'm no fan of the corporate style, but that's the way it is now, I still have the option of watching Shoreham!

Oh, and REMF. Proper NSC history

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I think these are the golden years so far,who knows, we may look back in the years to come, and this will be the pinnacle of our achievements, or this may be the beginning of a truly momentous events at our club, or we may be a yo-to club and move up and down divisions like we have for the last 30 years or so.

I’m looking forward to the future, whatever it entails, cos basically, I love this club.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I remember sardine time back in the early, early 70's. and I remember wilderness, there are different goals now and I'm still enjoying the journey.
People say it's a business, it always has been, it's just being sustained the right way now.
Better stadia, better players, higher league finish and (dare I dream) european competition. These goals are being ticked off the list and I'm on board regardless
Mojo is high, mojo is good:albion2:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Bang on until the last line.

Increasingly this season, the atmosphere has been growing more meh each game.

Hmmm. I think it depends on the game. It's probably something to do with the fact that, at any given time in the previous 116 seasons leading up to 2017, we'd turn up to games feeling like we had an even chance of winning them, even in seasons where we were struggling. I guess the nature of the PL is that there are certain teams against whom, unless the fates combine in some truly unlikely fashion, you're going into the game knowing you'll lose. It's just a question of by how many. Yes, I know Palace won at the Etihad the other week, but I guarantee you all but the most stupid of their fans went into that game thinking they just hoped they didn't get totally smashed.

Also, in lower leagues, every team has at least some hope of achieving something once the football calendar kicks off. Look at the Championship. Even fans of clubs like Wigan, Rotherham and Burton start the season dreaming that they could go on a little run and snatch a play off place. The Premier League doesn't have that kind of draw. Yes, there is European football, but it's largely just a token gesture. I'm sure even Burnley fans weren't planning an open top bus parade for reaching the Europa League.

It's just a case of adjusting your dreams for as long as we're up here I think. Unless you're City, Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea or (in most seasons) United, you're going to lose or draw more games than you'll win. And you have nothing to aspire to except maybe the last Europa League spot. It's a totally different mentality to aiming for promotion, and expecting to win most weeks as we did in the last couple of Championship seasons.

It's still lovely when you get those wins, whoever they're against, and, as we're still perceived to be minnows at this level, it's all the more enjoyable when we upset the odds (or win several in a row like recently). But I imagine the change in mojo levels are due to the fact that, even when you do that, it's inevitable that a losing streak will still follow.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I keep reading enjoy it whilst it lasts we are now more competitive than last season, next season we will be more so, we will keep improving. We are nowhere near our full potential. This season we are always in the game never been slaughtered by the big boys we’ve had a few disappointing results but that’s the nature of the PL. TB didn’t invest £350m to flop at this level Instead of thinking this is as good at it gets look to the future and what the club could achieve. One and a half seasons in the top flight is nothing think of five years in and the squad we could have then. I’m still enjoying the ride one game at a time.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
And we collectively rubbish players who are footballing gods compared to some players we have watched in the not to distant past who themselves we're lorded as demigods playing in front of 7,000 fans leaves me wondering who from our past would be good enough to be in our squad let alone starting eleven

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
Having been in a fair few of those old crowds, I can tell you that you really knew you were in them, unlike today when we're fairly well thinned out whatever the gate. As an example (not a Goldstone crowd) I remember a fifth round cup tie at Peterborough in the 80s when I started out a few steps back behind the goal and ended up near the back corner of the stand as a result of "crowd movement"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here