Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The wind farm off Brighton

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have just spent the past half hour or so watching the blades slowly and hypnotically turn against a bright horizon. It’s a thing of beauty.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
And it's magic

Some days, it looks really clear and like it's a few yards off the beach

Some days, it's gone completely :shrug:

(Probably downloading data in Southwick Tunnel)

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
A blight polluting the views from our shoreline, and a drop in the ocean in terms of growing energy concerns which can only be (and will be) solved by fusion.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
A blight polluting the views from our shoreline, and a drop in the ocean in terms of growing energy concerns which can only be (and will be) solved by fusion.

Are you currently working on a cold fusion reactor then? When it's here, then great, but in the meantime lets continue to use natural renewable resources.

The farm is supposed to provide power for about 350k households and there were about 121k households in Brighton and Hove at the time of the 2011 census.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I quite enjoy seeing them whenever I drive down Snakey Hill. I've always considered them a thing of wonderment but have never made up my mind whether they blight the shoreline although I have questioned it. They're probably no more a blight on the shoreline than a fleet of yachts crossing the horizon. And there's plenty of shoreline where they are not in your immediate line of vision.

They have quite a futuristic sci-fi quality about them. Just imagine them as a fleet of alien waterbound spacecraft landed on our shore. And they come in peace.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Bills for everything only ever increase so what's the effing point !?

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Were energy bills meant to have fallen as a result of this wind farm? Asking for a friend.

I have no idea. I don’t see why they would; I think the idea is to replace other sources with renewables.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They have quite a futuristic sci-fi quality about them. Just imagine them as a fleet of alien waterbound spacecraft landed on our shore. And they come in peace.

Are you stoned as well?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I remember Pons and Fleischman. That went well.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Were energy bills meant to have fallen as a result of this wind farm? Asking for a friend.

nope. renewables are more expensive than burning coal and gas, and subsidised through our bills. there's no secret about this, moving to renewables will cost us more, unless we greatly reduce consumption too. its improving, especially more recent wind that use better generators without gearboxes (so can generate power more of the time), though unlikely to ever be as cheap fossils.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here