Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Football grounds and sustainability

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Watching the Everton v Spurs game and hearing that Everton hope to move within 4 years, sad but understandable.

12 clubs still play on the same piece of ground they always owned. I'm a bit a a footy ground anorak, here is my take, views on what others think will fill me with interest.

Liverpool (same ground) - Keep building on it but still very prehistoric, especially for away fans.
Man City (new ground) - sustainable
Tottenham (same ground) - when they move in, sustainable
Chelsea (same ground) - need a new stadium, whether at Fulham Road or elsewhere
Arsenal (new ground) - sustainable
Man Utd (same ground) - old stadium, packed as tight as a sardine in a tin can, need a re-think
Watford (same ground) - for the size of the club, sustainable
Bournemouth (same ground) - looking at new venues, currently unsustainable, especially if they lose Howe to Man U or Spurs
Leicester (new ground) - new bowl, sustainable
Wolves (same ground) - had grandiose plans a few years back, did one stand and stopped, sustainable but finish the plan.
Everton (same ground) - moving within 4 years, unsustainable
West Ham (new ground) - fleecing the tax payer, sustainable
Brighton (new ground) - sustainable
Crystal Palace (same ground) - worst ground in the Prem, really need to look at their infrastructure
Newcastle (same ground) - sustainable
Southampton (new ground) - new bowl, sustainable
Cardiff (new ground) - new bowl, sustainable
Burnley (same ground) - for the size of the town, more than sustainable
Huddersfield (new ground) - sustainable
Fulham (same ground) - the only original ground in the Prem I like, and sustainable in London with their fanbase

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
What Would you say about Leeds, Villa, Norwich, West Brom and Sheffield Utd if they went up this season?

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
How can you class Tottenham’s new stadium as their original? It’s a completely different build. The old centre-spot is in the south stand concourse.

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
When you describe these new stadia as sustainable, I'm assuming you mean economically (for the club). They can hardly be described as environmentally sustainable when you consider many of their locations - out of town, near major roads, with massive car parking spaces. We have a pretty good sustainable transport plan, with train, park and ride and cycling all incorporated - but even that leads to major traffic generation every game as well as all the parking problems. Grounds like Goodison and SJP are probably very sustainable for their respective cities as many people walk to get there as there isn't such good road access or parking available.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
When you describe these new stadia as sustainable, I'm assuming you mean economically (for the club). They can hardly be described as environmentally sustainable when you consider many of their locations - out of town, near major roads, with massive car parking spaces. We have a pretty good sustainable transport plan, with train, park and ride and cycling all incorporated - but even that leads to major traffic generation every game as well as all the parking problems. Grounds like Goodison and SJP are probably very sustainable for their respective cities as many people walk to get there as there isn't such good road access or parking available.

Fair question, I was pretty ambiguous. I mean for the club itself and whether it feels it has the right model for its future. Most old stadia now are no longer viable. For whatever reason, can't expand, poor facilities, etc. So, when I say sustainable, I mean from the point of view of modern football.

How can you class Tottenham’s new stadium as their original? It’s a completely different build. The old centre-spot is in the south stand concourse.
Its halfway in its old location and in a different orientation to the old ground, its a different ground not the same one.

If the old and new pitches overlap then I would say that is the same ground. It's fundamentally no different to a Molineux with four new stands and the pitch moved a bit.

bhafcjack

Nov 3, 2018
Brighton
Love Goodison Park, Craven Cottage and Anfiled, shame that all these traditional grounds are going quickly but understandable for clubs to move forward, on and off the pitch.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Love Goodison Park, Craven Cottage and Anfiled, shame that all these traditional grounds are going quickly but understandable for clubs to move forward, on and off the pitch.

Have you had the pleasure of the away concourse at Anfield or the view from the back of the away section at Goodison?

Both horrible grounds.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Cant see how the Amex is sustainable given that every year either at the fans forum or on NSC a few will be asking about increasing the capacity

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Better than all the soulless bowls.
But the things the other poster is referring to are relatively new additions to the stadia.

Once the seats were rammed into the old terraces those grounds became horrible places to watch football, particularly as an away supporter.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
But the things the other poster is referring to are relatively new additions to the stadia.

Once the seats were rammed into the old terraces those grounds became horrible places to watch football, particularly as an away supporter.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

I remember going down to Shitehole Park to watch Leeds (yes, I know, Sprake, Reaney, Cooper, Charlton, Madeley, Giles, Bremner, Gray, Clarke, Jones, Lorrimer, and Bates on the bench, from memory, not that I was at all bothered at the time) in 1976/7 with some lads from uni. Four pints at lunchtime (including the driver), lots of shouting, can't remember the rest. Great days? Not now I'm 60. I want a comfy seat and I don't want a driving ban. I don't want to be wedged up against some stinky lout, smoking, and weeing into my coat pocket. These days I shower every day and don't consider myself part of the underclass.

Yes, yes, I know, #clueless

I await a mocking reply, which I won't read, from someone on my banned list.

:facepalm:

The Amex is wonderful. The Emirates is good but the legroom is not as good as ours. Anfield is a cramped citadel (I was in hospitality last season) and needs to be replaced (too small for the Champions of Europe). Any club in the PL is 'sustainable' if the owners play their cards right. Two clubs, Huddersfield and Palace got into the PL against all expectations, and have survived so far for different reasons. If Huddersfield go down they will have gained from all the PL income and will reconfigure accordingly, as did Burnley. Palace, however, can't afford to be relegated.

That said, clubs have always gone bust, and it doesn't happen that often. Accrington, Aldershot, Newport, Hereford, Maidstone, Scarborough, all suffered as a result. Luton and Newport have bounced back. Notts County twice. CPFC have it coming to them. I feel a bit for their decent fans, but overall, it would be better for everyone if they spent some time in the wilderness, with their 4,000 loyal fans, reflecting over their previous dodgy owners and financial chicanary. Yes, after a glass of wine I'm beginning to hate the scum again. :lolol:

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
It is White Hart Lane, it is on the same plot of land. It is the same venue.

That is plain silly the old ground bears absolutely no resemblance to the old one, the only part of the old stadium is the crushed concrete under the resin floor on the concourse.
It is not the same venue.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here