Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Locadia Today

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Blame remains fairly and squarely at the door of whoever scouted (or rather failed to properly scout) DJ Locadia for failing to ring the warning bells on what was perfectly clear to those of us in the Amex cheap seats earlydoors. Recruitment team clearly got seriously sloppy pissing TB's money up the wall during that crappiest of recruitment periods. Any heads roll? Thought not. Oh well. Not MY money being pissed up the wall :shrug:

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Still chucking away that we had a reasonable amount of supporters moaning that Murray was starting ahead of Locadia in our second season in the Prem. Hilarious.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
To be fair to Jurgen, I’m not sure we ever played him in his proper position, a position btw I’m not sure he is even confident of. One thing is certain however, he’s no number 9. He probably never was, Hughton surely must take some of the blame starting him as a lone target man, when in his own words “I can’t really head a ball” perhaps should have rang alarm bells during the target man basic skill prerequisite CV sift.

I guess the dice were loaded.

Seriously though, was he a winger? A outside forward, an inside left? A right sided off kilter candlestick maker? A vinyl toting deck pimper?

I guess he and we will never quite know.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
He moaned to the Dutch press about us.

Pretty poor behaviour considering the vast sums we pay him.

Sod him.
Feel he was justified tbh. He came in as a record signing scored on his debut, sub appearance against Swansea ( next game ) scores again and then he was dropped for a good while. His gripe was he was told he was really wanted and would play games for us, that didn’t happen. I felt he had it in him the Arsenal goal, Everton goal kept us in the division shame people feel the need to be so bitter.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
To be fair to Jurgen, I’m not sure we ever played him in his proper position, a position btw I’m not sure he is even confident of. One thing is certain however, he’s no number 9. He probably never was, Hughton surely must take some of the blame starting him as a lone target man, when in his own words “I can’t really head a ball” perhaps should have rang alarm bells during the target man basic skill prerequisite CV sift.

I guess the dice were loaded.

Seriously though, was he a winger? A outside forward, an inside left? A right sided off kilter candlestick maker? A vinyl toting deck pimper?

I guess he and we will never quite know.

I think you’ve found a huge floor in the recruitment of Izquierdo, Locadia & Jahanbakhsh. All three played in a front 3 formation on the continent before coming to the Albion but never as a No.9, No.10 or winger. Those were the positions Hughton needed them to perform in.

Izquierdo converted wonderfully to Hughton’s system where he was expected to play as a winger or left midfielder, the other two, not so. Poor Izzy’s injuries mean his last 3 years with the club were ruined and he has yet to find a new home.

The Hughton conversion of Locadia to a No.9 or No.10 was a failure. I think he looked better under Potter but I believe he crossed a line somehow in pre-season (probably attitude) and was shipped to Germany (where he actually did very well indeed). Hughton’s use of Jahanbakhsh reminded me of Southgate & Grealish, a fear or caution about someone unable to do the defensive side of the game. Ali-J was always a forward, never a traditional English winger who ran the line, never a right or left midfielder and certainly no number 9.

There is an irony now that Potter plays a front 3. But having purged the club of most of our fullbacks or wingers, front men are generally attacking midfielders or strikers.

The three players, signed from three teams (who played a front three) had three different Achilles’ heels. With Izquierdo it was injuries, with Jahanbakhsh it is the pace and physicality of the EPL and with Locadia, it appears to be attitude (although he had zero strength in hold-up play matched with zero talent in the air).

Two of those three still to shift, the transfer fees will very probably be zero.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Feel he was justified tbh. He came in as a record signing scored on his debut, sub appearance against Swansea ( next game ) scores again and then he was dropped for a good while. His gripe was he was told he was really wanted and would play games for us, that didn’t happen. I felt he had it in him the Arsenal goal, Everton goal kept us in the division shame people feel the need to be so bitter.

He was a lazy sod. Strolled about the pitch with little effort. He had more than enough chances imo. No one who has had him on loan wants him either, says a lot.

To be fair to Jurgen, I’m not sure we ever played him in his proper position, a position btw I’m not sure he is even confident of.

Fair? I think you are being exceedingly generous, to say the least.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Bugger the pros and cons. I just want to see him sold - or given away - to somebody else. Signing him was not a good idea, and certainly not value for money, end of.

Yes, he might be a very nice man. He's also by now a fairly rich one, so going on his way and off our wage bill shouldn't be a hardship for him. He'll be set up very nicely to get all the decks and amps and stuff he wants. Can even play a bit of part-time football of he feels like it. He's better set up for life than most 27 year olds!

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Lazy when saw in person and the fact he hasn’t excelled (or even been average) on loan at much lower levels shows he’s not fighting to make his way back for a Premiership career. We just can’t scout or sign strikers but we’re amazeballs everywhere else it seems.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I think you’ve found a huge floor in the recruitment of Izquierdo, Locadia & Jahanbakhsh. All three played in a front 3 formation on the continent before coming to the Albion but never as a No.9, No.10 or winger. Those were the positions Hughton needed them to perform in.

Izquierdo converted wonderfully to Hughton’s system where he was expected to play as a winger or left midfielder, the other two, not so. Poor Izzy’s injuries mean his last 3 years with the club were ruined and he has yet to find a new home.

The Hughton conversion of Locadia to a No.9 or No.10 was a failure. I think he looked better under Potter but I believe he crossed a line somehow in pre-season (probably attitude) and was shipped to Germany (where he actually did very well indeed). Hughton’s use of Jahanbakhsh reminded me of Southgate & Grealish, a fear or caution about someone unable to do the defensive side of the game. Ali-J was always a forward, never a traditional English winger who ran the line, never a right or left midfielder and certainly no number 9.

There is an irony now that Potter plays a front 3. But having purged the club of most of our fullbacks or wingers, front men are generally attacking midfielders or strikers.

The three players, signed from three teams (who played a front three) had three different Achilles’ heels. With Izquierdo it was injuries, with Jahanbakhsh it is the pace and physicality of the EPL and with Locadia, it appears to be attitude (although he had zero strength in hold-up play matched with zero talent in the air).

Two of those three still to shift, the transfer fees will very probably be zero.

Absolutely spot on, the adaptability of a player to play in our system (or systems) is ultimately the true measure of success. Izzy clearly had that natural ability to work in various roles, but his work ethic also helped. Jurgen and Ali probably just didn’t have what was required - the fact that we blew pretty much 30 million on the two is frankly very worrying.

Here’s hoping we start to get our forward recruitment on the money as it were, Tross and Welbeck and to be fair Andone have certainly been better, more adaptable and far better value.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
< Barber> "Tony, I've got a Dutch club on the phone, they want to make an offer for Jurgen Locadia. It's Twente"
< Tony> "What - quid? Bite their hand off Paul, it's a deal!"

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
:hehe:

Sadly not to be, as they've signed Ricky Van Wolfswinkel instead...

Yeah I know, it sport of inspired me. Interesting that Twente are happy to sign a 32-year old striker who scored 0 in 13 last season, rather than our Jurg who - at 27 - is coming into the prime of his life.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Comfortably less natural ability than Jahanbakhsh, and a far worse attitude.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I continue to be baffled there’s not some clubs willing to take a punt on him though. Surely in the Championship clubs would take him on if he’s on a free or very low transfer fee.

Very odd.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I continue to be baffled there’s not some clubs willing to take a punt on him though. Surely in the Championship clubs would take him on if he’s on a free or very low transfer fee.

Very odd.

Pandemic effect on football, presumably he is on big wages (£30k) - so unless we still want to pay a chunk, or settle up his contract he has no reason to go anywhere

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here