Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Locadia Today

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
He seems really flat footed to me, like when he sprints he is struggling for pace, maybe he is unfit I dont know but I dont remember his agility being so poor. I know hes not a 'speedster' but I expect more as Hughton keeps playing him out wide. At least with Solly, Ali, Knocky etc they have the pace and ability to cut inside or run in behind and get away from defenders.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He seems really flat footed to me, like when he sprints he is struggling for pace, maybe he is unfit I dont know but I dont remember his agility being so poor. I know hes not a 'speedster' but I expect more as Hughton keeps playing him out wide. At least with Solly, Ali, Knocky etc they have the pace and ability to cut inside or run in behind and get away from defenders.

I do not believe that is his 'job' in the current set up.

When he plays I think the onus is for Bernie in an overlapping position to be the de facto 'winger', while Big Jurg's job is to be an inside forward/second forward playing on the left.

The right wingers role is more straight forward as Montoya isn't an 'up and down' defender.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I’d happily never see Locadia on the wing again. Purchased as a striker, failed to deliver, so is now pushed out wide despite us having far better wingers than him sat on the bench. He’s the worst wide player we have when it comes to defensive duties and offers nothing going forward when by the touch line. Play him up top or not at all.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
I’d happily never see Locadia on the wing again. Purchased as a striker, failed to deliver, so is now pushed out wide despite us having far better wingers than him sat on the bench. He’s the worst wide player we have when it comes to defensive duties and offers nothing going forward when by the touch line. Play him up top or not at all.

What games has he had a chance to show his ability as a striker?

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
I do not believe that is his 'job' in the current set up.

When he plays I think the onus is for Bernie in an overlapping position to be the de facto 'winger', while Big Jurg's job is to be an inside forward/second forward playing on the left.

The right wingers role is more straight forward as Montoya isn't an 'up and down' defender.

Yeah I can see that, my point he is not used a proper number 9. Even Murray and Andone end up out wide quite alot, I feel Murray even more so should be always sniffing/poaching around the goal like a Defoe for instance not whipping crosses in.

My main point though was my observation of Locadia being so awkward and flat footed when he runs.

Tight shorts

Dec 29, 2004
Sussex
I think Locadia is shockingly bad. Ironically it watching him against Bournemouth away that I made this conclusion. Players do not want to pass to him for a reason. In fact I think he has a negative effect on players around him. He lacks talent, pace and determination. I would be happy if he never played for us again.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
There have been three games this year which have been probably our most shocking.

Fulham away, Burney home and Bournemouth home.

Locadia has started at left wing for all of them.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
There have been three games this year which have been probably our most shocking.

There is no way he's a winger and as I have said before if our wingers were fit he would not get a lookin as a winger, I do think he could play the number 10 role but we would need two up front plus wingers or quality wing backs

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Wow high praise for the Southampton game!

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well we only conceded one there.

Deep joy

and yet we scored a goal or two in 2 of your 3 choices.
Something that was never ever going to happen v Southampton.

As you say - Deep Joy.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
He's a number 9, pure and simple. He's the modern day, but less heralded, Ruud van Nistelrooy. Good at holding the ball up and bringing others into play, and he'll score when presented a chance in the area. Get him in the box and he gets it - please note Swansea at home last season, Arsenal and Wolves this season and Millllllllll in the cup. He's a finisher, let's play to that strength shall we, please?

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
He's a number 9, pure and simple. He's the modern day, but less heralded, Ruud van Nistelrooy. Good at holding the ball up and bringing others into play, and he'll score when presented a chance in the area. Get him in the box and he gets it - please note Swansea at home last season, Arsenal and Wolves this season and Millllllllll in the cup. He's a finisher, let's play to that strength shall we, please?
Have you really just compared Locadia to Van Nistelrooy? That's even more insane than Hughton's persistence with the 4 3 3.

Locadia played as a left sided forward in Holland.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003

Maybe we could try him in goal instead of Ryan?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Have you really just compared Locadia to Van Nistelrooy? That's even more insane than Hughton's persistence with the 4 3 3.

Locadia played as a left sided forward in Holland.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

In terms of adding value to the team, sure. I don't think Locadia is as good, obviously, because he isn't. But he's a box player, just as Ruud was. If we want to get the best out of him then we play to his strengths rather than shoehorn him into the team. If he played as a left sided forward in Holland then he certainly wasn't playing a defensive left midfield position. He's not good enough to play the way he's being asked to out wide, so stop asking him to play it. There's really no need for it - play the man to his strengths and while we're at it, do it with every player on the team. Bernardo can attack more, give the man the license. Have some faith in the quality of players who have been signed and stop playing our wingers in ultra-defensive positions. Forget that, they don't want it, the full backs don't need it and our team is suffering through having too many players too deep to affect the game going forward.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here