Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Locadia Today

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I hope we agree, that neither have been happening, hence the frustrations, and that any goal from open play would be a treat, let alone normality.

Could be tricky, bearing in mind that we don't ..............................

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Fair point. But, then, so is the desperate need for a striker to be supplied with chances and supported from midfield...

.....then they'll score a percentage of those chances, like last season, except more chances = more goals.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Having watched Jurgen this pre-season (with interest), yes he's playing with more freedom and greater confidence - that much is clear. However, he still looks like a decent championship player to me - which at this level isn't going to be good enough. That said, he could (as all good championship players can) have a one off brilliant season and shock us all... I'd caveat that with the following though: if we're expecting the kind of consistency (at this level) of a Glenn Murray type player from Jurgen...well... I'd have to say; I find that unlikely in the extreme.

With big Jurgs I can see his Albion epitaph reading like the commentary to most of his attacking moments: ..."He just couldn't get the ball out from under his feet..."

He's (possibly) operating at a level above his natural peak, and for me that's why he appears to lack composure, time, finesse and ball control... he's rushing and struggling to adapt to the required pace. That 'could' change I guess... time will tell.

Last edited:

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Having watched Jurgen this pre-season (with interest), yes he's playing with more freedom and greater confidence - that much is clear. However, he still looks like a decent championship player to me - which at this level isn't going to be good enough. That said, he could (as all good championship players can) have a one off brilliant season and shock us all... I'd caveat that with the following though: if we're expecting the kind of consistency (at this level) of a Glenn Murray type player from Jurgen...well... I'd have to say; I find that unlikely in the extreme.

With big Jurgs I can see his Albion epitaph reading like the commentary to most of his attacking moments: ..."He just couldn't get the ball out from under his feet..."

He's (possibly) operating at a level above his natural peak, and for me that's why he appears to lack composure, time, finesse and ball control... he's rushing and struggling to adapt to the required pace. That 'could' change I guess... time will tell.

I think confidence is a big factor. Chris squeezed it out of him...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I think confidence is a big factor. Chris squeezed it out of him...

Yep I agree with that - he's looking better in that regard already... Chris certainly seemed to lose faith in himself, consequently his players lost their mojo, as we did too and eventually the boardroom with it... the rest is history.

Confidence and belief (as I'm sure we all appreciate) are HUGE aspects of success in sport. If indeed GP is a behaviorist he should be able to rekindle the form of our two most high profile Dutch football imports by simply instilling a swagger hitherto unseen in both.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Confidence and belief (as I'm sure we all appreciate) are HUGE aspects of success in sport. If indeed GP is a behaviorist he should be able to rekindle the form of our two most high profile Dutch football imports by simply instilling a swagger hitherto unseen in both.

They are, but a fair proportion has to come from within.

It is easy to hide behind ‘the manager didn’t fancy the player’ or similar, but if the player doesn’t produce, inevitably he’ll get dropped, confidence evaporates- It’s a vicious circle.

The psychology is becoming a bigger thing and Hughton did a terrific job with Knockaert, given the ‘life’ events he went through.

All supporters should want Big Jurg and AJ to succeed, but as well as confidence it might just be an ability thing.

As I keep saying we’ll know by October/November.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
They are, but a fair proportion has to come from within.

It is easy to hide behind ‘the manager didn’t fancy the player’ or similar, but if the player doesn’t produce, inevitably he’ll get dropped, confidence evaporates- It’s a vicious circle.

The psychology is becoming a bigger thing and Hughton did a terrific job with Knockaert, given the ‘life’ events he went through.

All supporters should want Big Jurg and AJ to succeed, but as well as confidence it might just be an ability thing.

As I keep saying we’ll know by October/November.

True.

There is indeed only one Teddy Maybank.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
True.

There is indeed only one Teddy Maybank.

Thank you [emoji3526]

And of course he did score our first ever goal in the top division [emoji2]

And key goals in our promotion run-in.....

I was a bit obsessed by Ted when I was 10-12 years old...... Alas there weren’t many who were.....

Edit - I think the injunction has been lifted, I did stop following him, I swear......

Last edited:

FFS the blame Hughton for everything brigade really get on my tits. Players have got to take responsibility - Murray and Gross took their chances under Hughton and others didn’t, how is that not down to the players over a long season?

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
FFS the blame Hughton for everything brigade really get on my tits. Players have got to take responsibility - Murray and Gross took their chances under Hughton and others didn’t, how is that not down to the players over a long season?

He lost the players. And most of the fans. He got his P45. Get over it.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo

I don't really belong to that brigade, but he was in charge of a huge slide in form (confidence) post Christmas - as we all know. Thus he has to shoulder a fair proportion of the blame, and (historically) he will. Now, if Ali J and Jurgs fail to perform under a GP type I would suggest it was very little to do with CH and his perceived 'shackles', moreover that both players are out of their depth.

It would be fair in riposte to suggest that even Gross and Murray looked utterly lost post Christmas, accepting of the Gross fitness issues... That was, in part, down to the CH downturn and the loss of faith the players experienced (I suspect) in the manager... hardly an environment for a pair of relative newbies to flourish in.

All of that said, they really might be a bit rubbish... given GP and his proactive and positive approach to coaching, if he cant make them shine at our PL level... well... they never will.

He lost the players. And most of the fans. He got his P45. Get over it.

Irony is dead as the Hughton bores beg for people to get over it

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
This lost the players bit really is not known by the likes of you and me...perhaps stick to facts

I have my sauce! [emoji846]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here