Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Is it possible to view old VHS tapes withot a video player?

Ive had a bit of a clear out and come across three old VHS tapes that must be at least 25 years old, possibly more.

They look in decent physical condition but I have no idea what can be on them, there's nothing written on the box. They were blank at one time, not prerecorded.

Any idea how I can find out what's on them? Probably it's not something I'd want to keep so I don't want to pay to have them digitalised just to find out they are recordings of Monty Python or something!

But I did do a bit of extra work for TV back then and one just might be a recording of me on Nevermind the Buzzcocks or a few other shows I did.

Any suggestions?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I dare you to go into Second Spin, and ask if they do mixtapes :whistle:

That's still there on Sackville Road, isn't it.

I can remember going in there and buying a 'Little Richard's Greatest Hits' cassette, because I'd heard 'Long Tall Sally' when watching 'Predator' on VHS round a friends in about 1989. :lolol:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
That's still there on Sackville Road, isn't it.

I can remember going in there and buying a 'Little Richard's Greatest Hits' cassette, because I'd heard 'Long Tall Sally' when watching 'Predator' on VHS round a friends in about 1989. :lolol:

Yes, I used to visit at weekends mid 80's, perusing through their soul selection, take the vinyl home, record it, then take it back :facepalm:

I know there are firms that will digitalise them for me; I had a load of my father's old cine film done a year ago (following a recommendation on NSC) but I don't want to do that yet as there's a good chance they might just be some old TV programmes that I recorded and wouldn't want to pay to have them digitalised.

I'm just trying to think of a way to see what's on them first. If they are of any interest then I will have them done professionally.

I'm guessing probably the only way would be to find a friend who still has a VCR but I doubt anybody I know will have one. Maybe I might be able to get one second hand without spending too much?

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
But I did do a bit of extra work for TV back then and one just might be a recording of me on Nevermind the Buzzcocks or a few other shows I did.

I can't help you but a. was it the Mark Lamarr era? and b. what lineup were you in, pretending to be who, and how were you introduced?

HHGull

BZ fan club
Dec 29, 2011
I know there are firms that will digitalise them for me; I had a load of my father's old cine film done a year ago (following a recommendation on NSC) but I don't want to do that yet as there's a good chance they might just be some old TV programmes that I recorded and wouldn't want to pay to have them digitalised.

I'm just trying to think of a way to see what's on them first. If they are of any interest then I will have them done professionally.

I'm guessing probably the only way would be to find a friend who still has a VCR but I doubt anybody I know will have one. Maybe I might be able to get one second hand without spending too much?

Looks like the going rate is about £35 on ebay.

I can't help you but a. was it the Mark Lamarr era? and b. what lineup were you in, pretending to be who, and how were you introduced?

I don't remeber much about it! I'd never seen the programme before and I don't think I ever watched it again, other than the one I was in of course!

I'm pretty sure it was Mark Lamarr and the singer was Dean Friedman, Lucky Stars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrVP9yM-Vi8

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

Get loads of old VCRs in the charity shop I volunteer at. To be honest they generally go in the recycling box as nobody wants em. However, if someone came in asking for one then we'd gladly let them take it if off our hands for less than a fiver.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
If you give your postcode I'm sure some old NSCer will have a VHS player who could play them for you. I have, it's next to my MiniDisc player. Neither have been used in years.

Get loads of old VCRs in the charity shop I volunteer at. To be honest they generally go in the recycling box as nobody wants em. However, if someone came in asking for one then we'd gladly let them take it if off our hands for less than a fiver.

That's a good idea, I hadn't thought of a charity shop. I'll have a look in town after Christmas, I'd be happy to pay a fiver (assume it still works!!)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here