Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 40 years ago today

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
To lighten the mood a little, The Clash played Hastings Pier 40 years ago, today.
Anyone on NSC go? Sadly I wasn’t old enough for the first wave of punk.
Hastings Pier has a fine history as a music venue dating back about 50/60 years.

DFAF2B0C-0883-4904-936B-2161A278A483.jpeg

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
To lighten the mood a little, The Clash played Hastings Pier 40 years ago, today.
Anyone on NSC go? Sadly I wasn’t old enough for the first wave of punk.
Hastings Pier has a fine history as a music venue dating back about 50/60 years.

View attachment 103169

I like that poster.

I noticed London Calling was released 39 years ago ( last Friday ) 39 years later ( last Saturday) I finally got round to buying it :)

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
One band I regret not seeing, so full of energy.
Not really into tribute bands but went to see London’s Calling couple of months ago playing the ‘give em enough rope’ was good to here the music played live.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
The first album is the best one.

I've always preferred Give 'em enough rope; I like the heavier sound they got from Sandy Pearlman's production.

I saw them at the Top Rank when they played 2 nights in a row but I think that was 1980. Also saw them at Brixton Academy in 1982

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
I've always preferred Give 'em enough rope; I like the heavier sound they got from Sandy Pearlman's production.

I saw them at the Top Rank when they played 2 nights in a row but I think that was 1980. Also saw them at Brixton Academy in 1982

Saw them at the Top Rank winter 79/80 ( not sure exactly ) with Pete Townsend as Guest . Shame I missed them earlier though .

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

Also a decent album, Safe European Home and Stay Free are my favourites.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Got the coach over with lancing lads, might have been £5including entrance support from the slits if I recall, naked punks running up the pier was a weird memory from that night. DID THEY PLAY THE PIER IN 77? Whoops 12 Nov 1977 with Richard hell and the voids was the one I recall.

Too many capital letters, mate. I'm deeply offended.

You saw Richard Hell and the Voidoids? Any good? Blimey, you must be my age. Didn't see the Clash till the Top Rank 'London's Calling' era. This thread might smoke out [MENTION=528]attila[/MENTION] again....:thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Saw them at the Top Rank winter 79/80 ( not sure exactly ) with Pete Townsend as Guest . Shame I missed them earlier though .

We were at the same gig. So you're another old *******, too. I had you down as 40s :wozza:punk::lolol:

We also had the rare pleasure of Scriiti Politti, before Mr Gartside had his long break due to stage fright, as support if I have the memory correct. I loved the Scrits.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
We were at the same gig. So you're another old *******, too. I had you down as 40s :wozza:punk::lolol:

We also had the rare pleasure of Scriiti Politti, before Mr Gartside had his long break due to stage fright, as support if I have the memory correct. I loved the Scrits.

I was there and, in my head, I thought it was local popsters the Golinski Brothers as support

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I was there and, in my head, I thought it was local popsters the Golinski Brothers as support

If they were on before Scrits you may be right. But I'm 99.9% sure I saw the Scrits before the Clash (with Townshend).

Did you used to go down the Alhambra and the Buccaneer (Wrist Action, Molester, Piranhas)? Summer of 77? Three or four free gigs a week....Blues Jim as support (Polly Put The Kettle on "You come up here if you think you can do better, you little *******" etc)?

(See how beautifull I punctuated that sentence? And yet some people on here think I'm an animal:tantrum::rolleyes::lolol:punk:).

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

Same tour as the OP mentioned, played Brighton Top Rank 10th December 1978.
I wasn't there but I've just been looking at my Clash book which mentions all the tours, it says Townsend turned up in Brighton.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Same tour as the OP mentioned, played Brighton Top Rank 10th December 1978.
I wasn't there but I've just been looking at my Clash book which mentions all the tours, it says Townsend turned up in Brighton.

Yep. Townshend played with them on one num ber or maybe two. London Callin' it may have been.

I felt at the time that punk was well on its way out by late 78. Paradoxically the support (the Scrits) were fare more part of the new thing. I was a massive musical snob back then, and I was Thrilled by the Scrits, and felt a bit sad watching The Clash. Other bands I was watching then included Wire and The Birthday Party....the Clash were a bit last year....Still London's Calling was so much better overall than Give Em Enough Rope.....happy days? Yes, I'd say so.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
If they were on before Scrits you may be right. But I'm 99.9% sure I saw the Scrits before the Clash (with Townshend).

Did you used to go down the Alhambra and the Buccaneer (Wrist Action, Molester, Piranhas)? Summer of 77? Three or four free gigs a week....Blues Jim as support (Polly Put The Kettle on "You come up here if you think you can do better, you little *******" etc)?

(See how beautifull I punctuated that sentence? And yet some people on here think I'm an animal:tantrum::rolleyes::lolol:punk:).

I used to go to gigs at the Buccaneer and the Alhambra but more in 79/80 (I was a bit too young in 77/78, as well as living in Hangleton which was MILES away).

The first album is the best one.
This! Tbf was always disappointed with subsequent albums but time turned them into great albums, the change of style was hard to cope with. Recall brand new cadilac getting played in a record shop in Burgess Hill, a rockabilly was blown away by it and gutted when the owner told him it was by those dirty punks:rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here