Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] NSC - Spreading Hate?

Has NSC got its house in order on spreading hate?

• Yes it is working

Votes: 29 27.6%
  • Free speech is the way

Votes: 21 20.0%
  • Permanent bans for repeat offenders and more infractions

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • You ok Hun?

Votes: 27 25.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Going back a few months I was really starting to despair of NSC, with the large number of hate threads running. I am not of course referring to football, but the general anti-anyone who is different from me threads and racial stereotyping, of oh look another crime committed by someone who is....

Recently things seem much better and this may be connected to one or two banishments from the forum, but reading through the club statement, is NSC getting it right?

Bozza's comment that NSC is not mumsnet, is always something that comes back to me, when I try and get this straight in my own head. I like a lot of the debates on here and enjoy chipping in on a number of subjects, it can be a good way to let off steam. I also think the system of infractions and short bans, is helpful, for when someone for whatever reason has gone off on one and needs to calm down. There are however a small number of people, who add nothing positive at all and I also find it frustrating sometimes, when posters who have been a right PITA are allowed to come back with a new username and quickly resort to posting the same old SH1TE.

So is NSC getting it right? Personally I think broadly speaking it is working, but I would like to see a small number of permanent bans and a little less tolerance to thread starters, who never seem to contribute to anything else to the forum other than hatred.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Who's been banned.

I figured 'they' were on a break that just so happened to coincide with an utter humiliation.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I haven't been banned for over 4 years now. Quite proud of that achievement considering how many posters bloody iritate me.

Stephen Seagull

Oct 6, 2015
Barcelona
I honestly have no idea where this is coming from. I don't post on here that much but visit daily, if I open a thread I don't agree with I generally go back and look at others.

We're never going to agree with everyone all the time and that's just a part of life. I haven't seen many posts that are inciting hate, and remember, the internet gave birth to a large majority of trolls who thought their opinion mattered. It is only going to get worse.

Ignorance is indeed, bliss!

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Going back a few months I was really starting to despair of NSC, with the large number of hate threads running. I am not of course referring to football, but the general anti-anyone who is different from me threads and racial stereotyping, of oh look another crime committed by someone who is....

Recently things seem much better and this may be connected to one or two banishments from the forum, but reading through the club statement, is NSC getting it right?

Bozza's comment that NSC is not mumsnet, is always something that comes back to me, when I try and get this straight in my own head. I like a lot of the debates on here and enjoy chipping in on a number of subjects, it can be a good way to let off steam. I also think the system of infractions and short bans, is helpful, for when someone for whatever reason has gone off on one and needs to calm down. There are however a small number of people, who add nothing positive at all and I also find it frustrating sometimes, when posters who have been a right PITA are allowed to come back with a new username and quickly resort to posting the same old SH1TE.

So is NSC getting it right? Personally I think broadly speaking it is working, but I would like to see a small number of permanent bans and a little less tolerance to thread starters, who never seem to contribute to anything else to the forum other than hatred.

Whilst I fully agree with the sentiments of your post, and indeed many years ago started a thread myself, asking people to refrain from insults (with mixed reaction!) it might just be that the "same old xxxxx" as you put it, might simply be a question of someone stating something with which you fundamentally disagree.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
I think that the only way to keep this forum healthy and alive is to ban the outright nasty sods who aren't capable of discussing things without getting abusive. That banned list is a catalogue of immaturity and bigotry.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Whilst I fully agree with the sentiments of your post, and indeed many years ago started a thread myself, asking people to refrain from insults (with mixed reaction!) it might just be that the "same old xxxxx" as you put it, might simply be a question of someone stating something with which you fundamentally disagree.

That is entirely the point of the thread. Right now there is nothing particularly objectionable on the front page, so it should be clear I am not having a go at any specific individuals. If it is just me, I will have to live with it, or go start my own forum (not recommended), however it seems like a good time to at least have a discussion.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I think by and large the approach taken here works. You've got to allow people to say their piece and to have your response listened to as well.

I don't like the idea, generally speaking, of banning people for what they say. You have to engage people you disagree with rather than just shunting them off to some forbidden realm. That said there's a few on here with whom it's nigh on impossible to have an actual discussion with.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
That is entirely the point of the thread. Right now there is nothing particularly objectionable on the front page, so it should be clear I am not having a go at any specific individuals. If it is just me, I will have to live with it, or go start my own forum (not recommended), however it seems like a good time to at least have a discussion.

Thanks for that. But, with respect, your initial post was having a go at specific individuals, or at least that is how I read it.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I think by and large the approach taken here works. You've got to allow people to say their piece and to have your response listened to as well.

I don't like the idea, generally speaking, of banning people for what they say. You have to engage people you disagree with rather than just shunting them off to some forbidden realm. That said there's a few on here with whom it's nigh on impossible to have an actual discussion with.

Don't forget that this could well work both ways . .

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
What or who are we allowed to hate these days ?....We def can`t hate Blacks , Jews , Gays !! Hopefully we are allowed to hate Murderers,Paedophiles etc. How about Thief or Bully ... Are we allowed to hate protesters who wish to impose their ideals on us all.
If we downgrade hate to dislike I reckon we can dislike anyone or any group !!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Bozza's comment that NSC is not mumsnet,

No, it's DadsNet.

I don't recall ever saying/typing that but I barely recall what I did yesterday, so I'm not doubting I did.

Dear old Ed, Lord Bracknell, always used to say NSC lets people write stupid things because there will be plenty of people to tell them what they've written is stupid and explain to them why, and that's broadly the line we've always taken.

If your post isn't illegal, then it will be allowed to stand. The one caveat to that is that I could end up in a lot of shit for what someone I don't know and have never met writes on here, so sometimes something may be removed for the simple reason that I'd like to keep a roof over my family's head. In short: I won't take too many chances.

It does feel as though NSC has become as divisive as society in this country generally, which I guess is no surprise. Last week I caught a cab into town and the cabbie told me that NSC is far too left wing. People on the left, such as [MENTION=528]attila[/MENTION], tell me that it's too right wing. This curiosity might just reflect that most us spend so much time within our own echo chambers, largely digesting the views of those we agree with, that we find it jarring to be exposed to those views that differ to our own.

We have started to take a firmer moderating stance on those who are just here spoiling for a fight. We don't want to censor anyone, but if you come on here just posting something provocative because you know you'll get an adverse reaction, then we really don't want you here. We may get the odd decision wrong, but we do take account of your track record on the site. If you've largely spent your time on here being antagonistic and rarely, if ever, get involved in Albion discussions then this probably isn't the site for you.

Beyond that, I really want NSC to be a force for good. The members of this site have achieved so much, not least of all playing a pivotal part in the saving of our football club, and bringing about the REMF after the 9/11 tragedy. I've been thinking about it a bit recently and with so many in society struggling, it would be really good to be able to round up NSCers from time to time to get stuck into local initiatives that could really benefit from groups of enthusiastic volunteers. If anyone has any ideas about this, I'd be delighted to hear them.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013

I don't like the idea, generally speaking, of banning people for what they say. You have to engage people you disagree with rather than just shunting them off to some forbidden realm. That said there's a few on here with whom it's nigh on impossible to have an actual discussion with.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget that this could well work both ways . .

Agreed that people should be entitled to say their piece, but no-one is entitled to abuse or threaten other contributors, and why allow trolls to de-rail threads? I'm interested to know what you mean by "this could well work both ways"?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Agreed that people should be entitled to say their piece, but no-one is entitled to abuse or threaten other contributors, and why allow trolls to de-rail threads? I'm interested to know what you mean by "this could well work both ways"?

I took it to mean, and I agree with him, that there's often people on both sides of the fiery threads here that refuse to listen to the other.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here