• Yes

Votes: 95 78.5%
  • No

Votes: 26 21.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Well, good folk of NSC...will sprouts be featuring on your Christmas dinner plates this year?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
giphy.gif

A 2011 study by Cornwall College found that sprouts contain a chemical, similar to phenylthiocarbamide, which only tastes bitter to people who have a variation of a certain gene. The research found that around 50 per cent of the world’s population have a mutation on this gene. The lucky half don’t taste the bitterness usually associated with sprouts, and therefore like them a whole lot more than everyone else.

#tastelikeshite

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Oh, and because I'm an evil step-dad, my step-daughter will be force fed at least one too. Mwah ha ha

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
sadly No ... I like sprouts but wont have any as not bothering to cook traditional just for me , unless I can get a turkey & sprout pizza.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I love sprouts:

As they are for Christmas Lunch
Mashed with Bubble
Shredded with bird eye chilli and lime juice
Saute with a poached egg

I love sprouts!

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I love sprouts, except when they are overdone.

For Christmas dinner, they will be fried with bacon and Parmesan. Gorgeous.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yes, chopped up and fried with bacon and onions.

This.

If you dislike sprouts you're not cooking them properly. Bit of butter and olive oil in the pan, soften yer onions (or shallots) and then toss in the bacon. Chuck in the sprouts, a bit more butter and some black pepper and stir fry for a short time (ideally they should still be a bit crunchy). Deeeelicios. We've had this at least three times this winter already.

Plus if anyone mucks about in the evening you can give them the Dutch Oven.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
A 2011 study by Cornwall College found that sprouts contain a chemical, similar to phenylthiocarbamide, which only tastes bitter to people who have a variation of a certain gene. The research found that around 50 per cent of the world’s population have a mutation on this gene. The lucky half don’t taste the bitterness usually associated with sprouts, and therefore like them a whole lot more than everyone else.

#tastelikeshite

That's interesting. I often wonder about fish - everyone else seems to like them, but I don't seem to have the taste-buds that register any flavour at all. Maybe this is a genetic thing, like colour blindness?

BTW, I voted "no" to sprouts, but I actually have ONE every year - just to shut "her" up.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Of course, it's Christmas.

Don't muck around with them though - none of this bacon or parmesan bollocks. I had Christmas dinner with a Spanish friend once and she cooked them with garlic, which seemed vaguely sacrilegious. It's plain, Church of England sprouts for me.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here