Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Mrs Wilson: BBC1 (iplayer) : A true story of multiple bigamy and espionage

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Just finished watching this drama on iplayer. A true story in which the actress plays her own grandmother. Fascinating story about the author Alexander Wilson who upon his death in 1962 it was discovered he had four wives and five sons none of whom had previously known the existence of one another.

He was able to sustain his subterfuge as his cover was that he worked for MI6 during WW2 which was partly true but not necessarily to the extent he claimed. No one knows as as of 2018 the security services are still refusing to release details of his years of service. This is very hard on his family as they still have a lot of answered questions about what areas of his life were true and what was fiction.

He even served time in prison but even that he claimed to be part of his undercover work to infiltrate Oswald Moseley's blackshirts. No one knows if this is true but there are certain indications that suggest that he was telling the truth. For instance there is no record of any criminal convictions which led to his imprisonment.

What made his wife suspect he might not have been telling the truth about the real reason for his prison sentence was that he didn't seem to be getting paid for his undercover work and she was living in virtual poverty. But what she didn't realise at the time was that any payments he was receiving was being split four ways between his four wives and five children.

Anyway I thought I'd recommend it as I nearly didn't bother to watch it buy did on a whim. The fact that it is a true story makes it that more interesting.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0btk3w3

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-46456654

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
There was some poetic licence in the drama as Alison only found out about Grace whilst she was still alive. It was the relatives who found the other two wives later, when they all got together.
Ruth did very well potraying her own grandmother. Fascinating.
The Intelligence woman was particularly sinister.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
There was some poetic licence in the drama as Alison only found out about Grace whilst she was still alive. It was the relatives who found the other two wives later, when they all got together.
Ruth did very well potraying her own grandmother. Fascinating.
The Intelligence woman was particularly sinister.

I didn't realise that. I'm pleased in one respect as that means that scene with the little boy on his bike looking for his daddy never occured which was a bit heart wrenching. I did wonder why the five sons didn't unite until as late as 2007 which was two years after Alison Wilson died which was mentioned in the closing credits.

Yes the actress was good in the role of her grandmother. I also enjoyed her role as the psychopath sidekick/"love" interest in the first series of Luther.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We watched this all in the one go. Pretty good but we started to lose interest as it drifted with yet more wives, and it threatened an incredible twist (e.g. Soviet espionage or double agents) ... which never came. Perhaps fiction is more exciting than reality.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Thoroughly enjoyable, but felt it could have benefited from spreading over four episodes rather than three. MI5 still won't release the files.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
We watched this all in the one go. Pretty good but we started to lose interest as it drifted with yet more wives, and it threatened an incredible twist (e.g. Soviet espionage or double agents) ... which never came. Perhaps fiction is more exciting than reality.

Anthony Blunt was working for MI5 at the same time that Alexander Wilson was working for MI6 and they were both working in the same field related to investigating agents in the Egyptian Embassy. It's alleged Blunt may have been trying to undermine the work of MI6 so he could have more control and influence over it. It's also alleged that Alexander Wilson was used as a scapegoat as a result of the undermining of MI6's intelligence relating to the Egyptian Embassy. The MI5 officer Alex Kellar who investigated Wilson was working for Blunt at MI5. Blunt was meanwhile passing the information relating to the Egyptian Embassy to the Soviets.

Although it was known for many years what Blunt had been up to he was granted immunity from prosecution and lived a charmed life until years later when he was publicly exposed.

So there's your Soviet double agent connection that you were hoping for. No idea if any of it is true though.....

https://alexanderwilsonauthorandspy...ysterious-life-of-alexander-wilson-1893-1963/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/alexan...tim-crook-biographer-of-alexander-wilson/amp/

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Thoroughly enjoyable, but felt it could have benefited from spreading over four episodes rather than three. MI5 still won't release the files.

Thought it was very good as well but since M15 will still not release files probably means there was quite a story to the life of Alexander Wilson

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Thought it was very good as well but since M15 will still not release files probably means there was quite a story to the life of Alexander Wilson

They take a neither confirm nor deny approach. In which case I wonder what approach MI5 would take if questioned about my time working for them. Would they truthfully deny that I ever worked for them or would they adopt the same non commital neither confirm nor deny.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Enjoyed it but the Indian intelligence officer was invented to tell the back story of his time in India, so that part is probably all fiction. More interesting is why after he left MI5 they tried to supress his career as an author.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Really liked it, and further example of how good Ruth Wilson is as an actor. The difference in quality was shown only too clearly in the scenes with Keeley Hawes.

Y , Y by the way.

Can't wait for Luther, and check out Dark River.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here