Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] You can't get much more northern than this ...

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
(Hard g in West Yorkshire (begin is a hard g), soft g in South Yorkshire sounds like jennel.

Interesting. I always think of the g in begin as soft and the g as in gin as hard.
So in West Yorks where I've lived for a while with a west Yorks lass who calls them (be)ginnels

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Similar story but not looking like a return is on the cards.

There was a window of opportunity around 2003/2004 so I jumped at it. I enjoy visiting but always glad to return to GOSBTS. My son stayed there.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Twitten is of course a Sussex word.....

Also CleckHeckmondSedge - I grew up around there, amongst the ginnels, and now live amongst the twittens...

(Hard g in West Yorkshire (begin is a hard g), soft g in South Yorkshire sounds like jennel.

Snickets are called ginnels (soft g as in begin) around West Yorkshire. My mum from Kent referred to them as twittens as did I.

Did you ever "cut through snicket"

Snicket, Ginnel, Twitten, Flutester, Jinnel / Jennel / Gennel, Alley / alleyway, Ten-foot, Jigger / Jigga, Entry, Jitty, Passage, Gulley, Twitchell, Shuts, Snickleways, Gauts, Wynds, Chares, Pend, Close, Opes, Cracks, Scores, Lonning, Lokes, Drong - they all mean roughly the same thing in different parts of the country. Never expected this topic to come up on NSC!

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Damn, beaten to it.

“Haggerty F, Ferris, Noble, Codren, Crapper, Davis, Sullivan, O’Grady, Kembell, Hacker and Davitt"

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I knew some Boothroyds in that neck of the woods.

Heckmondwike and Cleckheaton. When working at the electricity board, we referred to that area as CleckHuddersFax.

Cleckheaton. My dads cousin Ronnie live in Cleckheaton. Wonder if it was one of the family.

When dad died, my mum cut herself off from his side of the family and therefore I probably have many cousins etc in parts of Huddersfield...after looking into the family tree on dads side, the Wilcock's came from Halifax, Calderdale originally and were all mill workers.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Cleckheaton. My dads cousin Ronnie live in Cleckheaton. Wonder if it was one of the family.

When dad died, my mum cut herself off from his side of the family and therefore I probably have many cousins etc in parts of Huddersfield...after looking into the family tree on dads side, the Wilcock's came from Halifax, Calderdale originally and were all mill workers.

Think I’ve mentioned it before, my great grandfather on my mum’s side owned a Turkish bath in Huddersfield. Not sure of date but I guess it would be turn if the Century.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Think I’ve mentioned it before, my great grandfather on my mum’s side owned a Turkish bath in Huddersfield. Not sure of date but I guess it would be turn if the Century.

Where abouts in town? I remember some buildings that we used to call baths which is where the university buildings are now. .

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Where abouts in town? I remember some buildings that we used to call baths which is where the university buildings are now. .

Not entirely sure, but I’ll endeavour to find out. Pretty sure that side of the family moved to Brighton in the 1920s as my mum was born in 1936 and her dad was quite young when he got to the promised land.

Bolton va va

Nov 20, 2012
Thought they had Weymouth after they controversially went through as Needhan Market refused to play the replay??

Aye......some at Workington weren't too thrilled at the prospect of playing Weymouth because , apparently, the distance involved meant that Weymouth could claim the cost of an overnight stop out of the gate money.

& it's ginnell round Bolton/Manchester.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here