Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Boom in Baby Banks

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I have sympathy for new parents. However, when I was producing offspring, one of the considerations was 'Can I afford a baby?'

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have sympathy for new parents. However, when I was producing offspring, one of the considerations was 'Can I afford a baby?'

Maybe they could at the time; circumstances change.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Has there been any study on how many of the users (possibly applies to food banks as well) are going as it’s ‘free stuff’ rather than due to genuine need ?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Maybe they could at the time; circumstances change.

Very true. However as a society we have encouraged many people to produce loads of kids through the benefit system. That is wrong on many levels not least there are too many humans on the planet anyway. But yes, I feel for people struggling, the last 10 years has been very hard.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Has there been any study on how many of the users (possibly applies to food banks as well) are going as it’s ‘free stuff’ rather than due to genuine need ?

People are referred to food banks by another agency, you don;t just rock up claiming to be short of cash and in need of some free baked beans.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
People are referred to food banks by another agency, you don;t just rock up claiming to be short of cash and in need of some free baked beans.

Yeah I know (true for most but there are some independent banks that don’t require referrals too), but just curious about the rigour around the process - if getting a referral is as difficult as getting a GP to give you a sicknote then it’s not overly difficult to circumvent

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Quite a grand statement. What evidence do you have of this?

Not Grand at all. Much personal experience both living here and in Liverpool where I've seen first hand the route to having things like a flat and money to spend is by having loads of kids. I believe society is very flawed in that there is low expectation in life in less fortunate areas, and lots of people in these circumstances have reduced chance of achieving their goals but see this as an option. I think it's a great shame.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not Grand at all. Much personal experience both living here and in Liverpool where I've seen first hand the route to having things like a flat and money to spend is by having loads of kids. I believe society is very flawed in that there is low expectation in life in less fortunate areas, and lots of people in these circumstances have reduced chance of achieving their goals but see this as an option. I think it's a great shame.

So it’s just anecdotal evidence then. I’ll leave you to this thread I think.

PS you forgot to mention they all have huge flat screen TVs and can afford to smoke.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yeah I know (true for most but there are some independent banks that don’t require referrals too), but just curious about the rigour around the process - if getting a referral is as difficult as getting a GP to give you a sicknote then it’s not overly difficult to circumvent

Which ones are independent? People are referred and are given vouchers.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
So it’s just anecdotal evidence then. I’ll leave you to this thread I think.

PS you forgot to mention they all have huge flat screen TVs and can afford to smoke.
Don't be reactionary. You asked how i know that etc and I said i have known many people who made choices like that. I gave no interest in misleading you, nor would I lie. Clearly I am not taking about everyone in the situation in the news, and i am not making any kind of political point. Why is it so painful for you to harbor the possibility that this can occur? I think it's due to poor chances in life and sometimes family history. I thought you'd agree as a labour supporter that people from deprived backgrounds need their aspirations raised? I work in a school in a deprived area and raising aspiration is very important for future life choices.

Edit: and you should notice I am not criticising those who in my view do use having a baby for a better life. They are simply trying to make do and manage and from their standpoint it often makes perfect sense.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
a generation or two ago people didnt need much and what you couldnt afford you got from family and friends as hand me downs, things like cots, highchairs and potties passed around many children. charities have always collected up cloths and such sold on for pennies, or gifted through churches or directly provide to those in need. now we have dedicated organisations focusing on this, and we can count them and say there's a new problem.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008

This.

That is totally not true, I know someone who is totally taking the p1ss with food banks, they have no need in any way shape or form to be using them, yet every week they post on face book all the goodies they have got from the food bank.
Their reason for using them, they lost their purse with £100 in it 9 weeks ago !!!!!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Very true. However as a society we have encouraged many people to produce loads of kids through the benefit system.

It's the complete opposite of this: we're not producing enough children, the birthrate is about 1.7 per female and has been for about 40 or 50 years. We've been saved from economic calamity by the relatively high rate of immigration but if this falls in the future (as is May's wish), we are going to see a big change.

Immigration not only brings in younger workers but also fertile mothers - there's an increase in the number of babies born to non-British-born mothers. I believe the birthrate for UK-born mothers is just over 1.5.

I suspect that if immigration does reduce in the future, we'll start to see great financial incentives to have children because a society with a birth rate of 1.5 and an increased life expectancy is a society in serious trouble.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Don't be reactionary. You asked how i know that etc and I said i have known many people who made choices like that. I gave no interest in misleading you, nor would I lie. Clearly I am not taking about everyone in the situation in the news, and i am not making any kind of political point. Why is it so painful for you to harbor the possibility that this can occur?

I’m not suggesting you’re misleading me, lying or making a political point. And I have no issue that this might occur. In fact I’m sure it does occur, there will always be someone who cheats any system. But what I don’t know is if it’s a significant issue as you suggest with your “many” comment. All you have offered up is some anecdotal evidence which you must surely understand is a weak argument; it’s just what you have seen and experienced which I goimg to be limited.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here