Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Corbyn. Motion of no confidence.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Names on the back of a postage stamp if you actually have confidence in Theresa May to deliver anything other than acute embarrassment.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Corbyn. Motion of no confidence.

I can read that a few ways and all of them make sense.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
It's a waste of time. It is a motion of no confidence in the Prime Minister, NOT in the government. So it would be an embarrassment if she loses, but nothing else.

However the Public Administration and Constitutional Affairs Committee came up with this conclusion in a report to this scenario:

If House were to express no confidence... PM would be expected to give notice that he or she will resign

[tweet]1074685389472960512[/tweet]

Those 117 Tory MP's from last week who didn't have confidence in May have got a question to their conscience here - 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do you, punk?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
finally he acted...

It's a waste of time. It is a motion of no confidence in the Prime Minister, NOT in the government. So it would be an embarrassment if she loses, but nothing else.

...is this true, or just wording. does it make a difference?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
finally he acted...

Just heard Laura Whatnot on BBC saying it was not a proper "no confidence" motion, so would be an embarrassment and nothing more. It didn't sound particularly threatening and they were not making much of it on the news. Maybe they are wrong. Will see what happens.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
finally he acted...

I could, not for the first time, be completely wrong but I thought if she loses a vote of no confidence then she stands down as PM. The tories then have 14 days to form a government or a GE is called.

FWIW for all his posturing I don’t think Jezza wants to be PM just yet - he’d rather take the reins post Brexit and be seen as the saviour.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
As far as I can tell, he's trying to assess just how much support May has from her own party (i.e. if the 117 Tory MP's vote in favour, this shows them up as hypocrites) and from the DUP.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I opened this thread thinking that Corbyn had finally grown a pair and done something decisive, but it turns out that he hasn't.

Is it just a simple matter of him knowing that trying to steer the country through Brexit is an utter shit-show and he doesn't want any part of it?

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Opinium (14th Dec) – CON 38%, LAB 39%, LDEM 8%, UKIP 6%
YouGov (7th Dec) – CON 38%, LAB 37%, LDEM 10%, UKIP 3%
Kantar (6th Dec) – CON 38%, LAB 38%, LDEM 9%, UKIP 5%
Ipsos MORI (5th Dec) – CON 38%, LAB 38%, LDEM 9%, UKIP 4%
YouGov (4th Dec) – CON 40%, LAB 39%, LDEM 9%, UKIP 4%
ComRes (2nd Dec) – CON 37%, LAB 39%, LDEM 9%, UKIP 6%

Oh look, still in my cut and paste.

Go on Jezza, force an election. Only a complete idiot like yourself could be 50/50 in the polls with a government that is tearing itself apart!

What a great opposition we have. They are nearly as big as joke as the current cabinet..... who ever that is this week?

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
I opened this thread thinking that Corbyn had finally grown a pair and done something decisive, but it turns out that he hasn't.

Is it just a simple matter of him knowing that trying to steer the country through Brexit is an utter shit-show and he doesn't want any part of it?

It's just him knowing we will not win an election. He aint that stupid.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I could, not for the first time, be completely wrong but I thought if she loses a vote of no confidence then she stands down as PM. The tories then have 14 days to form a government or a GE is called.

FWIW for all his posturing I don’t think Jezza wants to be PM just yet - he’d rather take the reins post Brexit and be seen as the saviour.

It's a motion for a no confidence vote in The PM, not The Government though, which Corbyn has brought based on the conclusion of a Public Administration and Constitutional Affairs Committee report on what should happen if she loses it, in the hope some in her own party are more likely to vote against her in this, based on the mood of the house this afternoon, than in a full no confidence vote on The Government.

The Government may just refuse to make time for it though.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Political journalists always explain that he’s trying to play a smoke and mirrors trick of:

1. Keeping the millions of working class Brexiteers on board (which actually accords with his own lifetime loathing of the EU); AND
2. Playing to Remainers in the metropolitan areas and the majority of his own MP’s that he may give them another referendum.

Coming down clearly on his route for Brexit would expose his true position and lose him the backing of one of those two groupings.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here