Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] BTP appealing for witnesses of Anti-Semitic chanting

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Apparently on a train at 4pm from Falmer. Think I was on that one but didn’t hear anything...

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
I saw a bloke in a blue coat speak to a BTP officer whilst we were walking down the platform. 4 pissed up young knobheads were being rowdy and he made an official complaint of anti-semitic comments.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I saw a bloke in a blue coat speak to a BTP officer whilst we were walking down the platform. 4 pissed up young knobheads were being rowdy and he made an official complaint of anti-semitic comments.

Probably that then. They said a complaint was made and 3 (I think) people spoken to but they want witnesses

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Have to say, I didn't hear anything at all, but was genuinely shocked by how loosely the word "Yid" was used by Chelsea fans in the queue and on the train, when talking perfectly normally about new stadiums and the weekend's results.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Have to say, I didn't hear anything at all, but was genuinely shocked by how loosely the word "Yid" was used by Chelsea fans in the queue and on the train, when talking perfectly normally about new stadiums and the weekend's results.

Excuse my ignorance, but is the term YID, as in "Yiddish" presumably only to be used by Jewish people in the same way n*gger is only to be used by people of colour?

I have heard the term Yiddo many times when we have played Tottenham, in fact their fans sing it all the time.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Excuse my ignorance, but is the term YID, as in "Yiddish" presumably only to be used by Jewish people in the same way n*gger is only to be used by people of colour?

I have heard the term Yiddo many times when we have played Tottenham, in fact their fans sing it all the time.

I don't even begin to understand the connotations of Yid but I believe the same arguments applied to people of colour saying n*gger apply to Jewish people as well. Lots of conjecture as to whether Spurs fans should use the term.
I was just shocked at how loosely they used it

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
This is an area greyer than John Major's wardrobe, and one there isn't really a rational answer for.

If you are 'that person' (black, Jewish etc) then it's perfectly okay to say the word N*gger or Yid. However, utter outrage when anyone else says it.

If it's an outrageous word which nobody should say - and the Police get involved if you do, then don't bloody say it yourself. Surely? :shrug:

Watch me get flamed and get called stupid / narrow minded and missing the point for this, but that's my opinion.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Do you think this country is becoming more or less tolerant? I sometimes wonder myself eg If I heard 4 pissed yooof saying Yid on public transport I’d just put it down to rivalry, drink and being boring / a bit thick and immature to think for themselves rather than calling them out as racists and making a police complaint. Not exactly in the same league as David Irving after all. If they were a lot older and sober then that’s a different matter perhaps.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Do you think this country is becoming more or less tolerant? I sometimes wonder myself eg If I heard 4 pissed yooof saying Yid on public transport I’d just put it down to rivalry, drink and being boring / a bit thick and immature to think for themselves rather than calling them out as racists and making a police complaint. Not exactly in the same league as David Irving after all. If they were a lot older and sober then that’s a different matter perhaps.

I think the point is they weren't just saying it but chanting it in a packed train - allegedly.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
This is an area greyer than John Major's wardrobe, and one there isn't really a rational answer for.

If you are 'that person' (black, Jewish etc) then it's perfectly okay to say the word N*gger or Yid. However, utter outrage when anyone else says it.

If it's an outrageous word which nobody should say - and the Police get involved if you do, then don't bloody say it yourself. Surely? :shrug:

Watch me get flamed and get called stupid / narrow minded and missing the point for this, but that's my opinion.

No, I don’t think you’re stupid or narrow minded at all - it’s a bizarre situation. I know it’s all about supposedly reclaiming the word and all that but surely it’s just time to consign this ugly word to the past regardless. Makes me feel uncomfortable, whether someone saying it is white or black.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I think the point is they weren't just saying it but chanting it in a packed train - allegedly.

If Yooof, I’d still put it down to the reasons stated and not do anything about beyond perhaps a ‘shhhhhaaaa up’ retort. Idiots, probably. Racists, probably not. We’ve all shouted offensive stuff when we’re young and know no better. Especially when alcohol is involved. Which I suspect it was.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
I had some well dressed individuals ask me if I had found the true meaning of god...

But they were only Jehovah's Witnesses...

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003

I think your point is valid. I appreciate that some have strong views (both ways), but the rest of us are stumbling around trying to work out what's 'right' and what is just pure 'snowflakery'. (For want of a better expression, although I HATE the term 'snowflake'). Obviously some expressions/terms are right out, but others (and some word combinations) seem to be up for grabs. For example during the John Terry affair he was accused of calling someone a '****ing black ****'. Asterisks were duly used to remove rude words (as they are here), but the word that actually gave the offence would be left uncensored! If he'd just have called him a ****ing **** no one would have batted an eyelid.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Chelsea racists allegedly at it again (yesterday)

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/17303929.police-probe-anti-semitic-chants-by-chelsea-fans-on-train/

Supporters leaving the American Express Community Stadium at Falmer on Sunday reported that a group of Chelsea supporters sang the abusive songs on board a train.

Three men were reported to the British Transport Police, who apparently identified the supporters as they arrived back at Brighton station after the match.

Their actions have been condemned by supporters from all sides, with Seagulls fan and former Hove MP Ivor Caplin calling for prosecutions.

One Brighton supporter said he witnessed the “disturbing” incident, where other Chelsea fans on board the train confronted their fellow supporters.

He said: “There were a group of Chelsea ‘fans’, singing the most vile anti Semitic songs in the train.

"Indeed they were so abhorrent real Chelsea fans actually told them in no uncertain terms to shut up and that they were a absolute disgrace.

“Some of the group were identified and were handed over to British Transport Police at Brighton.

"Hopefully the incident was caught on video for prosecution purposes.”

Former Hove MP Ivor Caplin, who is the chairman of the Jewish Labour Movement that campaigns against anti-semitism said action must be taken as soon as possible.

He said: “This was a disgraceful incident. I expect the British Transport Police to take the strongest possible action to identify those responsible, and ensure that they are prosecuted.

“It is time for the country to say ‘no’ to this type of behaviour, whether it is racism, anti-semitism, or homophobia, it is not acceptable.”

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Wankers

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
have the police not got better things to do than this? If ya burgled you wouldn't see a copper but 'racism' and 'anti semetism' they are all over it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here