Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Wrong Team Selection

Smudge1

Jan 16, 2010
Today’s match was a almost a “Free Hit”. We now have a stronger squad and are in a better league position.

I was surprised to see DS in the team. I appreciate it was his 1st game back in a few weeks, but he was way off the pace today. He plays sideways or backwards. It’s as if he is not allowed to break into the oppositions half! Every time he gets close to an opposition player he seems to give a free kick away. Let’s remember he got his ban for the challenge at Cardiff, which was all down to his poor touch in the initial challenge.

Up front we had Muzza who we all love but we do know his strengths & weaknesses. He can’t be running Doggy’s & with PG in behind him, he has no one who can get on to any flick ons or make a forward run from midfield. I felt he was Mugged off today due to the team selection. At least give him a chance to play to his strengths. YB does at least offer this. Why not start with FA who has done well, knowing you have the back up of Muzza. There CB’s had an easy 60mins against him today.

Let’s summarise league fixtures-

Chelsea H- CH wrong selection, only got competitive when changes made after 60 mins, when already 2 down. A training game for the opposition for 60mins.

Burnley A- A better away performance, should of got a point.

Palace H- Great effort by the 10 men, to get a Legendary win.

Hudds A- Good win albeit against 10 men.

Leics H- 2 points dropped due to negative tactics.

Cardiff A- Unlucky to not get a point due to DS poor decision making.

Everton A- Beaten fair & Square by a better team.

Wolves H- Lucky 3 PTS.

Newcastle A- Gritty deserved away win.

West Ham H- Lucky 3 PTS.

Man City- Fair result.

Spurs H- Far to Passive from the start, should of got about them. They weren’t in good shape with a Rookie keeper who we never put under any pressure.

Saints A- Terrible start played for 2nd half & scrambled a point.

Fulham H- Slack defending, missed Pen, good character to come from behind 2 PTS dropped.

Liverpool A- A fair performance without really threatening with an error from a young player gifts them a goal. No damage done.

Man U H- Thoroughly deserved win with 3 1st half goals scored, tells its own story. A fast start taking it to the opposition.

Watford A- Total No show.

Recently with YB, FA, MM & Bernardo the performances have been a lot better. Why today go back to the old guard ? It’s as if CH thinks we aren’t expected to get anything so let’s give them minutes on the pitch.

2 down after 33 mins when clearly not making any impression on them, why not send out the 4 attacking players on the bench to warm up before HT. At least to give a few of the onfield players a kick up the breadcrumb.

No subs at HT.

No improvement in performance until 60 mins when first change was made.

Chris not having a Pop but reading of the above does tell a bit of a story.

We need Pace & Energy to be competitive in every match. Please be positive in team selection away at Bmuff. Happy Xmas to you all X

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Today’s match was a almost a “Free Hit”. We now have a stronger squad and are in a better league position.
I was surprised to see DS in the team. I appreciate it was his 1st game back in a few weeks, but he was way off the pace today. He plays sideways or backwards. It’s as if he is not allowed to break into the oppositions half! Every time he gets close to an opposition player he seems to give a free kick away. Let’s remember he got his ban for the challenge at Cardiff, which was all down to his poor touch in the initial challenge.
Up front we had Muzza who we all love but we do know his strengths & weaknesses. He can’t be running Doggy’s & with PG in behind him, he has no one who can get on to any flick ons or make a forward run from midfield. I felt he was Mugged off today due to the team selection. At least give him a chance to play to his strengths. YB does at least offer this. Why not start with FA who has done well, knowing you have the back up of Muzza. There CB’s had an easy 60mins against him today.
Chelsea H- CH wrong selection, only got competitive when changes made after 60 mins, when already 2 down. A training game for the opposition for 60mins.
Wolves H- Lucky 3 PTS.
West Ham H- Lucky 3 PTS.
Man City- Fair result.
Spurs H- Far to Passive from the start, should of got about them. They weren’t in good shape with a Rookie keeper who we never put under any pressure.
Fulham H- Slack defending, missed Pen, good character to come from behind 2 PTS dropped.
Liverpool A- A fair performance without really threatening with an error from a young player gifts them a goal. No damage done.
Man U H- Thoroughly deserved win with 3 1st half goals scored, tells its own story. A fast start taking it to the opposition.
Recently with YB, FA, MM & Bernardo the performances have been a lot better. Why today go back to the old guard ? It’s as if CH thinks we aren’t expected to get anything so let’s give them minutes on the pitch.
2 down after 33 mins when clearly not making any impression on them, why not send out the 4 attacking players on the bench to warm up before HT. At least to give a few of the onfield players a kick up the breadcrumb.
No subs at HT.
We need Pace & Energy to be competitive in every match. Please be positive in team selection away at Bmuff. Happy Xmas to you all X

8 posts - good night!

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Out of interest, how many posts should someone have before they can post something we should read?

At a guess, roughly 3,757. :)

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
As soon add I saw the team sheet, why Murray and Stephens and not Andone and Bissouma? End of thread as they proved why they should have started.
Edit, Murray against Chelsea... [emoji23]

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I don't think there's such a thing as a "free hit" in Hughton's view. Every match has the possibility of wrecking our goal difference so we start by looking to contain against the bigger clubs and take it from there.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
A tale of two teams, one with Murray and one without. We're better without. I love Glenn Murray and always have, but the fact is we beat Palace because Andone's qualities were ideally suited to the situation and if we'd stolen a draw today it would have been because the team functioned better with the qualities of Andone. Glenn is a quality player, and a class act. But him being in the team makes us totally different to the side we are with Andone starting and I have to be honest, I prefer the team with Andone in it.

I think Hughton got it wrong today.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Wolves H- Lucky 3 PTS.
West Ham H- Lucky 3 PTS.
Man City- Fair result.
No subs at HT.
No idea what some people expect. We are 13th in one of the toughest leagues in the world with a small budget. We lose to a top 6 side and it's always wrong team selection. It doesn't matter what team we put out today i felt Chelsea could have raised there game further. More often than not we will lose to a top 6 side. It's the nature of the beast.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I was in the 'wrong team selection' camp last night – I even said on here last night – until I watched MoTD2 last night. There, the guys were talking about the tactics of playing against a team like Chelsea – do you go for it all guns blazing and risk getting torn a new one, or do you try and contain it and THEN open up a bit in the second half if you're still in the game. The analysis showed that following the subs, there were more people getting up and in the box than there had been in the first half. I know that first 45 wasn't great, but 2-0 could've been worse and then we wouldn't be in the position where a draw was still possible in the final moments.

I know CH is viewed as getting a lot wrong, but he hasn't got where he is now by being a bad manager. I'm not saying he's right all the time, but he had a game plan which – on another day – could've worked...

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Wolves H- Lucky 3 PTS.
West Ham H- Lucky 3 PTS.
Man City- Fair result.
No subs at HT.

Agree with most of the above

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
I don't think CH has such a strong belief in a 'free hit' as some on here do.

Before the match we predicted the team and got it spot on. Yes we would have liked Biss and Andone but we don't have to stand up after the match and explain the result. I think that by the end of the season Biss and Andone will be first choice players.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
I don't think CH has such a strong belief in a 'free hit' as some on here do.

Before the match we predicted the team and got it spot on. Yes we would have liked Biss and Andone but we don't have to stand up after the match and explain the result. I think that by the end of the season Biss and Andone will be first choice players.

With the best will in the world I don't think Hughton feels obliged to explain the result vis-à-vis his team selection either.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
A fair post. In many respects it sums up the imperative that is bubbling around in the back of many of our minds to see the team 'go for it' and 'be more positive'. I understand it but as has been noted recently by [MENTION=30242]spence[/MENTION], we need to check our reality a bit, step back and look at our landscape; understand why CH does what he does; acknowledge that this is a long game; appreciate what we have a bit more.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here