Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] What was their response to the racists chant?

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'm not entirely sure how I feel about us chanting 'you know what you are, you racists, you know what you are" - on the one hand there's tarring everyone with the same brush, there's the idea of somehow minimising bigotry by making it the subject of a teasing chant, on the other there was the metro incident, the stirling incident, then the vidi incident. But that is a side discussion.

What did they chant in response? I couldn't make it out from the other end of the ground.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Champions of England/Europe, you'll never sing that

Given that the vast majority of them are perfectly decent, one would imagine, that was the correct response.

Pleased this was just a tiny moment in the game. All that other bollocks will be dealt with elsewhere. And if I were a pensioner I'd be holding my breath right now, hoping that the owner doesn't decide to take all his money out. Which he probably won't.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
I was disappointed to be in amongst that this afternoon. I know it was only goading and they will get this everywhere they go but just no need for us to do that. Us of all clubs should be an example and not opening ourselves up for criticism. As a long standing North Stander I was a little embarrassed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
I was disappointed to be in amongst that this afternoon. I know it was only goading and they will get this everywhere they go but just no need for us to do that. Us of all clubs should be an example and not opening ourselves up for criticism. As a long standing North Stander I was a little embarrassed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are you serious? It’s a football match not a guardian crossword competition.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Chelsea chairman warned travelling fans on offensive chants - sources

Chelsea chairman, Bruce Buck -- who has been a visible presence in the "Say No to Antisemitism" campaign that Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich launched in January -- positioned himself outside the away entrance to the Amex Stadium alongside Steve Atkins, the club's head of communications, prior to kick-off in order to talk to Blues fans as they arrived.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I'm pretty sure it was "you'll never sit down" and took it as a reference to our sexuality.

One more prejudice to add to the list

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm pretty sure it was "you'll never sit down" and took it as a reference to our sexuality.

One more prejudice to add to the list

I thought it was a sit down/homophobic retort also, but as I'm in the WSU closer to the North goal than the South, I appreciate I'm not in the best place to judge.

It was, however, precisely what a group of their fans trotted out on the train at Brighton en route to Falmer pre-match, closely followed up by "Brighton's a shit hole, I wanna go home." (They'd previously revealed they live in Rustington)

taz

Feb 18, 2015
That's the best you can do oo your chants are sh**t that's the best you can do !! Was the response

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
It was 'Champions of Europe, you'll never sing that'. There was nothing homophobic sung in fairness.

synavm

May 2, 2013
I was at the game earlier in the away section.

I must confess, I'm a local lad (Haywards Heath), been to lots of Brighton games, have a soft spot for them as a local team (but would stop short of calling myself a supporter) but am a Chelsea fan, been to hundreds of their games having been converted as a child by one Matthew Harding who used to live in Ditching and I suppose was a family acquaintance at one point.

The response was 'you'll never sing that'. Today I didn't hear any homophobic or racist chanting. The odd moron making the odd reference here and there but more or less I think 99.999% of the fanbase were very conscious of the language they were using.

Majority response to the incidents over the past week has been enough is enough. There are one or two regular chants that were really references to Spurs that I'd say were really sing out of ignorance rather than overt racism, then there are several other chants that you might hear in pubs that are categorically racist. I think the general consensus is phase out the whole lot, where as in the past the can has been kicked down the road. I expect lots of work from the club, from supporters trusts to try and educate the more ingorant folk in our midst before bringing in bans.

RE Brighton fans chanting about our racism, it's absolutely fair game. We got ourselves in the position we're in and Brighton are one of the clubs known to be especially proactive in welcoming diversity, so I wouldn't accuse Brighton fans of undermining anti-racism programs. If it were West Ham or someone there may be that accusation, but not Brighton.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
As I also had the joys of 40 minutes+ of train spotting at Falmer station after the game which I hadn't accounted for and saw 3 Brighton bound trains leave whilst on the other side, as Chelsea fans passed though there was no homophobic chants after the game there either.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here