Murray 5.5

Andone 7
Bissouma 7
Locadia N/A

8 Ward

Jan 13, 2014
Bernardo 8
Dunk & Propper 7
Everyone else 6 (or worse, in one or two cases, a whole lot worse).

Hughton 0 ; that first half 'display' and his team selection today summed up everything that's sooooo frustrating about his management style. Reverting to his favoured plodding, zero pace midfield and attack, and wingers that seem totally unable to actually cross the ball in open play, he had us effectively waving the white flag from the first minute. Our tactics were so negative he managed to numb the whole ground into near-silence after about 30 minutes, and the match had the feel of a half-hearted testimonial as we let them pass it about at walking pace whilst we stood off and admired them. Luiz barely had to break into a run until Andone came on. Hugely disappointing. Too little, too late.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Ryan 6 - little to do
Montoya 6
Bernardo 8
Dunk 7
Balogun 5 - two mistakes in three games. I’d love to see Ben White get a game
March 8 MOTM
Stephens - 5
Propper 6
Knockaert 6 - at least he wanted it
Gross 5
Murray 4

Andone 7
Bissouma 6
Locadia N/A

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Ryan 6 - didn’t really make a save. Kicking was fine though
Montoya 6 - I thought he struggled against Willian
Balogun 5 - decent, slip aside. Much better with the ball thar Duffy
Dunk 7 - solid. Made a couple of rash challenges though
Bernardo 8 - MOTM for me. Questionable defending for their first though
Knockaert 6 - started well and then faded badly. Never looked a real threat on their goal.
Stephens 4 - a poor performance. Got bypassed too easily, slowed attacks down, movement was non-existent.
Propper 7.5 - substantially better than his midfield partner. Dynamic throughout and moved with the ball very well
March 7 - a mixed performance. A goal, some class, but some poor deliveries. Much better when he’s away from the left
Gross 5 - marked up for his cross for the goal. Otherwise totally bypassed
Murray 4 - he shouldn’t have started. It wasn’t the game for him. Not the outlet he needed to be.

Subs
Andone 7 - caused many more problems than Murray and looked a threat. Needs to start regularly.
Bissouma 7 - where was that dynamism for the rest of the game CH?!
Locadia n/a - not on long enough to really make a difference. And why on the left?

CH 4 - a poor starting 11 for the match context and poor subs throughout. Did he know we were chasing the game at 2-0 down? His substitutions certainly didn’t suggest he did.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Ryan 6
Bernardo 6 - player dwell but lost his man for the first
Montoya 6
Dunk 7
Balogun 6
Stephens 7 - excellent off the ball, harrying, closing down, snapping at their heels, Impressive return from a few games out. With the ball gave it a way a few times but its not his main role in the side
Propper 5 - anonymous off the ball, again; very tidy in possession, recycled the ball, but nearly always back or sideways and a few attacks slowed with him
Knockaert 5
Gross 6 - excellent cross again
March 6
Murray 5

Andone 7

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Bit hard to score that. At the end of the season, in context, 1-2 to Chelsea among a sea of wins and disappointing draws and defeats....if may be one of those where we could have gone for it and it could have gone horrible, with a big dent to the mojo and who knows what. We are keeping the scores down against the top sides, nicking the occasional win (Arse, Manure, Manure)...and slowly consolidating.

Frankly if you had come up to me in the Theatre of Trees, at half time, in the rain, and told me we would be a bit of a meh side in the top division in 18 years, I wouldn't have been able to snap your hand off because I'd have been in floods.

Still...yes...I look forward to seeing a bit more of the new boys (all bar Ali J on the pitch towards the end today). Murray had a break on in the first half and stopped as he knew he didn't have the legs. Can't see Andone doing that...

We are transitioning from 'imposters'. Not sure what into yet. Maybe something rather good.

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
Ryan 6
Montoya 7
Dunk 6.5
Balogun 5.5
Bernardo 8.5 MOTM
Knockaert 7.5
Stephens 4
Propper 5
March 6.5
Gross 4
Murray 4

Andone 7
Bissouma 8
Locadia 6

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Ryan 6
Bernardo 6 - player dwell but lost his man for the first
Montoya 6
Dunk 7
Balogun 6
Stephens 7 - excellent off the ball, harrying, closing down, snapping at their heels, Impressive return from a few games out. With the ball gave it a way a few times but its not his main role in the side
Propper 5 - anonymous off the ball, again; very tidy in possession, recycled the ball, but nearly always back or sideways and a few attacks slowed with him
Knockaert 5
Gross 6 - excellent cross again
March 6
Murray 5

Andone 7

Wow, it's amazing how people see games differently. Stephens scoring higher than Bernado? Are you sure?! For me Stephens was the most frustrating player for us today, alongside Murray. Bernado looked very promising today imo.

Gave it a good go from about 65 mins on, but I really feel Hughton made a big mistake not starting Andone and Bissouma. Cost us in that first half, and I was surprised (well, not really) that no changes were made at half time when we'd offered the sum of nothing.

Still, a 2-1 defeat to Chelsea isn't the worst result in the world, the final 25 mins or so were encouraging, and hopefully Andone's performance and Bissouma's 10 minutes have made Hughton realise that those two really need to be in the 1st eleven now.

Lots to be positive about with the squad and some of the new boys coming into form now. Frustrating despite a narrow 2-1 defeat today, though.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Disappointed? Come on. At the start of the season you'd say there's 12 games we're certain to lose. First half we were overawed yes but overall, far from disgraced.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Disappointed? Come on. At the start of the season you'd say there's 12 games we're certain to lose. First half we were overawed yes but overall, far from disgraced.

Easy to say before the game, but having not turned up until 70 minutes, disappointed feels about right to me.

Yes I expected nothing, which is what we got and two goals better than last year, but I expect better in terms of performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Ryan 6
Bernardo 7.5 great coming forward but first goal should have been cut out
Montoya 6 some good stuff but often out of position
Dunk 7 did what he could showed leadership again
Balogun 6 - poor pass for the goal
Stephens 5 - too slow to see the chance
Propper 5 - some good stuff but a lot of silly mistakes (bad passes)
Knockaert 6 worked hard , crying out for the ball but not passed to.
Gross 5 - well off the pace and can't tackle. Not a patch on what he did last season
March 6 - ok game, should have buried that shot in first half. At least he made keeper work
Murray 5 - not the game for him

Andone 7 should have started
Bissouma 7 game changer ...

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I get frustrated with CH tactics and have a moan up during the games BUT I understand them. No way are we going to outplay or dominate teams like Chelsea so all we can hope to do is hang in there and not find ourselves 4-0 down facing capitulation.

We nearly nicked a point in the final few minutes with Dunk’s (?) header.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
For me Dale Stephens has been truly awful for the most part this season - today continued that form brilliantly. He looks overtly bulked, ponderous yet panicky, lacks time, quality and that speed of thought that marked his game so well last year... in other words he's having a shit season and Chris got it very wrong recalling him today. I saw him live, as it were, up at Newcastle and he was awful that day too, so bad in fact, he looked akin to a league 1 utility man trying valiantly to look anything like a top flight player.

4 for him today and 6/7 to the rest.

With Bissouma looking increasingly 'at this level' Chris will have to rethink his selection next time out. At least I hope he does :/

Onward...

sagaman

Dec 25, 2005
Brighton
Well we all see things differently
Dale did not have his greatest game but he put in many tackles and did loads of the difficult stuff
IMHO he was more effective than Glenn or Pascal today
Also whilst Bernardo wa very good he lost Pedro for the first goal

Main thing is many of us thought that Andone and Bissouma had to start today. Obvious we need pace when we are playing a largely defensive way against the big six

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Ryan 6 Could do nothing for goals
Montoya 6 OK
Dunk 7 Good game
Balagun 6 Terrible error over shadowed OK game
Bernardo 7 Good game
Stevens 3 Contributed nothing
Propper 5 At least made couple of forward passes
Gross 3 Contributed nothing. Anybody but him please as a 10
Knockhaert 6 Fair but like several of our players wonder if he is up to this level.
up March 4 Marked up because of goal. Was dire . Several times had lots of space with ball and did nothing

Hughton 2 Never marked him before. Kayal for eg had more shots in few games he played then Stevens has had in 2 years. yet he is picked over him and Bissumer. Why didnt he make the changes at half time. Lasting memory for me was after 2 mins Chelsea had 6 players round our box. Stevens and Propper hardly moved from centre circle let alone got near there box

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Standard CH tactics for games against the top 6, try and stay in the game for as long as possible then look to get something from the final stages. I think the one thing that the changes made from an hour in, is that the one thing that all defenders dislike, even defenders of top 6 teams, is pace. While the use of Murray from the start was no doubt to hold the ball up, and to look to get something from corners and free kicks, the Chelsea defence were virtually in training game mode, until Andone and then Bissouma brought extra pace into our play.

Ryan 6 Not a lot to deal with, and no real chance for either goal
Montoya 7 solid
Dunk 7 solid
Balogun 6 marked down for some poor passing, particularly for their second, but still in credit from his Palace goal
Bernardo 8 Albion MOM, and looks set for a long run in the side
Stephens 5 - showed he is lacking match sharpness following his ban
Propper 6 steady
Knockaert 6 in and out of the game
Gross 5 plays better when we are on the front foot
March 6 still frustrates from time to time, particularly that late corner routine
Murray 5 nothing seemed to work out, and offside far too often
Andone 7 made the Chelsea defenders work more than in the first hour
Bissouma 7 should have come on at the same time as Andone

Locadia n/a another late appearance with no time to shine

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here