Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] What’s the definition of “a full matchday service”

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
“Trains: Southern Rail have informed the club that they will be operating a full matchday service, but supporters are advised to check Southern’s website prior to travelling.”

Just curious as this is from the pre-match brief but a regular Sunday service, 3 trains an hour, was in place. What should have I expected? A normal Sunday service or more?

Green Gull

Feb 25, 2018
Abysmal, first time I've been late for a game at the AMEX and I'm still waiting for the train home.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Appalling service. After the match stood and watched 3 trains come and go towards Brighton whilst none came in for eastbound destinations. That was after watching the previous train leave the station with standing room in most carriages. Useless staff, useless service and to rub it in further, the announcement on the ticker kept telling us our train was delayed due to a football match. Yes we know that there's a football match you morons but you haven't laid on the football matchday service.:ffsparr:

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
It was announced that there will be no trains at all on boxing day. Southern will probably mess that up too.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It was announced that there will be no trains at all on boxing day. Southern will probably mess that up too.

:lolol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Appalling service. After the match stood and watched 3 trains come and go towards Brighton whilst none came in for eastbound destinations. That was after watching the previous train leave the station with standing room in most carriages. Useless staff, useless service and to rub it in further, the announcement on the ticker kept telling us our train was delayed due to a football match. Yes we know that there's a football match you morons but you haven't laid on the football matchday service.:ffsparr:

As an aside I saw the railway staff try and close that big Perspex gate at Brighton when a train was due to depart only for police to overrule them and tell them to open it as they wanted more punters on the train.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
The train service today has to be up there as one of the worst ever.
30k attend a football, the bulk of whom travel by train, and there are three trains an hour heading to Eastbourne and Seaford after the match. Bloody pathetic.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
As an aside I saw the railway staff try and close that big Perspex gate at Brighton when a train was due to depart only for police to overrule them and tell them to open it as they wanted more punters on the train.

It's almost like the railway staff don't want to provide a good service for some reason. It's inexplicable.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
railway-track-trolley-500x500.jpg

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
The coastal train I was on was packed. Supporters and other travellers could not get on at certain stations. The driver even apologised and encouraged everyone to complain as we pulled into Brighton. I would say that this particular train was operating at a dangerous level. Two children were being squashed so much that they had difficulty breathing and one of them had what I can only describe as a panic attack. Thanks to some kind travellers we eventually got her to a seat which someone gave up. What i fail to understand is why did a train with 8 carriages pass in the opposite direction when we had only 4.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My train experience was actually quite positive. I arrived with quite a bit of time at Brighton and got on the first train leaving and was at Falmer about an hour before KO. Left on the whistle and was on a train at around 15:40. I think the train was late running though.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Three trains an hour was always going to be shit. Still, to put a positive spin on it, it's three more than Boxing Day. And no buses when you need them either. So much for sustainable modes of transport :shrug:

Good question. I would assume it to be that which applies to Saturdays - six trains an hour between Brighton to Lewes. That is two to Seaford, two terminating at Lewes and one each to Hastings and Ore with equivalent return services. Club presumably failed to verify what Southern considered a "normal matchday service" to be and perhaps arranged for them at the very least provide a couple of Lewes - Brighton shuttles each hour at match time.

We were caught up with the "fun at Falmer" - managed to just squeeze on to the Eastbourne train that left around 16:15. I could well understand the annoyance expressed that folks for Eastbourne stood on the platform aimlessly instead of getting the preceding train to Seaford and change at Lewes - but then no announcements were made by the station staff to advise them to this. At least it didn't rain.

Apart from that, and the result, we enjoyed the game particularly the second half.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Isn't the matchday service just the timetabled trains are running?

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Good question. I would assume it to be that which applies to Saturdays - six trains an hour between Brighton to Lewes. That is two to Seaford, two terminating at Lewes and one each to Hastings I could well understand the annoyance expressed that folks for Eastbourne stood on the platform aimlessly instead of getting the preceding train to Seaford and change at Lewes - but then no announcements were made by the station staff to advise them to this. At least it didn't rain.
The Eastbourne train was due about 3 minutes after the seaford train. Why should people get on and change at Lewes when they can get a direct train 3 minutes later.
If any one is to blame it's the stewards on the platform for not letting more people on the trains.

Stewie

Feb 22, 2009
It still baffles me that after 7 and a bit seasons at the Amex they still haven’t worked out how to get a train to leaver Falmer that’s full! I would like to know what the definition of ‘full match day service’ is, especially when it’s a mid-week game and a train rocks up with only 3 carriages?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
On the plus side, my son's journey back to Clapham Junction was better than normal. As no trains going to London on the Lewes to Haywards Heath loop, the next train at Falmer when he was on the paltform was for London Bridge via Brighton. So he had a seat from Falmer, and no need to change at Brighton, only at East Croydon.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here