Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Pub suggestions please

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
A group of friends of mine are looking for a pub where they can have a reasonably quiet chat on Friday evenings. They keep being forced out of places by increasingly loud music and my suggestions that they should simply turn their hearing aids up fall on deaf ears (obviously).

Quality of beers relatively unimportant, convenient parking an advantage, Brighton and Hove preferred. I assured them that NSC would come up with a whole load of possible venues.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Everytime we have driven past The Albion at Fishersgate it has looked empty with about 3 people in it and I amsure there must be many similar in Brighton and Hove with pubs struggling for trade.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Everytime we have driven past The Albion at Fishersgate it has looked empty with about 3 people in it and I amsure there must be many similar in Brighton and Hove with pubs struggling for trade.

Wasn't there also an Abion in Hove until not so long ago? Church Road or Blatchington Road maybe? Remember going in there with a group of fellow fans back in the Goldstone days.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Leave the car and get a train to Hove Station. The excellent Watchmakers Arms is a short walk down from there. Wolfie's chippy is close by if you get a bit peckish.

If they want parking, the Hove station car park is fairly reasonable.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
A group of friends of mine are looking for a pub where they can have a reasonably quiet chat on Friday evenings. They keep being forced out of places by increasingly loud music and my suggestions that they should simply turn their hearing aids up fall on deaf ears (obviously).

Quality of beers relatively unimportant, convenient parking an advantage, Brighton and Hove preferred. I assured them that NSC would come up with a whole load of possible venues.

The Station Hotel at Preston Park Station is my recommendation

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Wasn't there also an Abion in Hove until not so long ago? Church Road or Blatchington Road maybe? Remember going in there with a group of fellow fans back in the Goldstone days.

Wasn't that where a certain former Albion midfield player and coach had a frank exchange of views with a German doctor?

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
The Watchmakers would be absolutely ideal.
Right outside Hove Station. Number 7 bus and car park.
Run by Albion fans.
The beer quality is excellent
Bookshelves fascinating, including a copy of Build a Bonfire, just lacking a copy of Pulp Football......

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
The Swan, car park and unlikely to have loud music.
Miller and Carter in patcham still has a bar
The sportsman?
The Nevil?
The Hikers (now Ruby) is usually pretty quiet if there is nothing going on.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
The Swan, car park and unlikely to have loud music.
Miller and Carter in patcham still has a bar
The sportsman?
The Nevil?
The Hikers (now Ruby) is usually pretty quiet if there is nothing going on.

Isn't the Hikers (now Ruby) usually pretty shut if there is nothing going on (like a match)?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Yes. It was an old mans/soaks pub. Its now a horrific place chanelling “faded glamour” and “ bygone Bohemia” and full of scrubbed up coked up cocky estate/recruitment agents types in cheap suits and ill thought out sleeve tattoos.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Yes. It was an old mans/soaks pub. Its now a horrific place chanelling “faded glamour” and “ bygone Bohemia” and full of scrubbed up coked up cocky estate/recruitment agents types in cheap suits and ill thought out sleeve tattoos.

Must be a really cheap suit if you can see the tattoo through it.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Isn't the Hikers (now Ruby) usually pretty shut if there is nothing going on (like a match)?

Eh? It doesn't only open for football.

Unless you mean shit, in which case, yes it is, but meets the OP requirement of being quiet and able to park, and if beer quality is unimportant that's good too.

Indian takeaway next door is excellent though.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave

Haven't been in for a while, but I'd recommend the Prestonville Arms in Hamilton Road. Proper pub.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here