Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Danny drinkwater

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I think you’ve been drinking more than water. We have Bissouma, Stephens, Propper and Kayal. Who are you shipping out to accommodate this?

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
He’s better than kayal and Stevens. I suspect better than propper also, central midfield is by far our weakest position as a club we need to do our best to bring better than what we have. He in my opinion would be a decent start

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Lazy Posting, Player A not playing for team we are about to play, so suggest we should look to bring in Player A, while overlooking quality of squad and wages.

Just shows what Xmas lunchtime drinks can do

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
He's a decent player but will be on silly wages, and as said, we have a decent 4 midfielders with Bissouma really stating to push to become a regular starter. A good place to be so why break up that dynamic?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I suggested him about a month ago and met the same response as you. If anybody thinks that he is not an improvement on Kayal and wouldnt be a benefit to our midfield squad, they must be on drugs. He will be on high wages but I am sure a % payment deal could be done as Chelsea want rid of him as we did with City and Wayne Bridge. It was suggested by the popular press that he will be Raniere's first buy at Fulham in January.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I have it on very good authority from a Leicester supporter that he was injured when they sold him to Chelsea.

They got a lot more money for him than they should've.

Albion doesn't need any sick-note signings.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
He is an excellent player who was a key part of a midfield that won the premier league, got to the quarter-finals of the champions league, was selected for England and was then bought by one of the best sides in the country.......

......... and then left on the sidelines to rot, unfortunately

One of the biggest problems with the Champions League is how it effectively takes so many decent players out of the premier league, reducing the competitiveness of our league. Clubs like Chelsea need huge squads to compete in so many competitions at the same time; and players like Drinkwater are enticed by the possibility of the Champions League that they will angle to go and never turn the opportunity down.

A transfer like Drinkwater from Leicester to Chelsea would never have happened without the Champions League as both the cause and the draw. Drinkwater should be a regular starter in a premier league team.

back to the question at hand - if he left Chelsea I'm sure he could do better than us..

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
He's not getting a look-in at Chelsea and Everton could be a good fit, especially if they offload out of favour Schneiderlein.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
He's not getting a look-in at Chelsea and Everton could be a good fit, especially if they offload out of favour Schneiderlein.

Why Everton specifically? It always baffles me how people pick the 'ideal' club out of the blue.

Unless you know more than you are saying of course!

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I expect he's on c £70k per week so would easily break our wage structure. For that reason we'd not be interested. Number two reason is that we favour players on an upward trajectory in their careers so that the sell on price is higher than what we paid, with certain exceptions e.g. Murray.
He would of course improve our midfield options but would he be prepared to come here and not play. What we have is a good squad of players and we will bring in players that add to that team, not detract from it. Therefore the chance of this happening is next to zero.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I suggested him about a month ago and met the same response as you. If anybody thinks that he is not an improvement on Kayal and wouldnt be a benefit to our midfield squad, they must be on drugs. He will be on high wages but I am sure a % payment deal could be done as Chelsea want rid of him as we did with City and Wayne Bridge. It was suggested by the popular press that he will be Raniere's first buy at Fulham in January.

Negative comment about Kayal ..how unusual

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I expect he's on c £70k per week so would easily break our wage structure. For that reason we'd not be interested. Number two reason is that we favour players on an upward trajectory in their careers so that the sell on price is higher than what we paid, with certain exceptions e.g. Murray.
He would of course improve our midfield options but would he be prepared to come here and not play. What we have is a good squad of players and we will bring in players that add to that team, not detract from it. Therefore the chance of this happening is next to zero.

my suggestion and I believe also the OPs was a loan to end of season to have a look at him to decide whether to push for a buy or not. so at the moment not a huge financial outlay to improve our squad.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Why Everton specifically? It always baffles me how people pick the 'ideal' club out of the blue.

Unless you know more than you are saying of course!

1. He's not Top 6 material anymore.
2. Everton are best of the rest and going places under Silva.
3. Everton have money.
4. Schneiderlein is a similar player out of favour at Everton who will be on big money too having come from Man Utd, so they'll need a replacement when they ship him out..
5. Drinkwater will fancy his chances of a 1st XI spot (Gomes, Gueye, Davis etc).

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Anyone questioning the quality of the player is a moron.

Anyone who thinks we would be the top suiter for a player like drinkwater needs to realise we arent established enough yet.

Add to the mix of the wages hes on its a NO.

However a player of that quality and would fit into our budget, sign him up! Posters saying is he better than we have already got, take a look at yourself and follow football outside of the Albion. Jokers.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
He is an excellent player who was a key part of a midfield that won the premier league, got to the quarter-finals of the champions league, was selected for England and was then bought by one of the best sides in the country.......

......... and then left on the sidelines to rot, unfortunately

Chelsea have previous for that with young, english midfielders. See also Parker; Scott, Wright-Phillips; Shaun and Sidwell; Stephen

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here