Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant meals are higher calories than fast food outlets

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-46540132

The calorie content of meals in UK restaurants is "excessive" and sit-down restaurants are unhealthier than fast-food chains, BMJ research suggests.

Health experts say meals should not exceed 600 calories, but in this study they averaged 1,033 in restaurants and 751 in fast-food chains.

The research team looked at more than 13,500 meals on the menus of 21 sit-down restaurants and six fast-food chains.

Travelling home on Sunday evening, and taking a detour to avoid the M25, I started getting hungry. We saw a Pizza Hut, so chose that, as they do offer salads. I had a flat bread pizza which was advertised as 550 calories, with the salad. It was very tasty and still filling.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
"It's really clear what the food industry need to do. They need to act more responsibly and reduce the number of calories that they're serving."

And how do the researchers think this will be achieved.

It will be smaller sized portions but with no reduction on cost. So in a restaurant you will be left trying to spot the food on your plate, and if you complain about the portion size, the stock response will be, it's for your own good, no one wants to overdose on calories, and you know that the Department of Health and Social Care have imposed a 600 calories limit for each meal. Now . I suggest you tuck into your one pea and slither of beef before it gets cold

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I can't be the only one who's never full after getting a 'meal' from a fast food place. For someone with my appetite, a Whopper or Fillet o' Fish is like a snack.

Not saying restaurants are healthier, but it depends on what you're comparing: A large pizza and a side with a glass of wine versus a Happy Meal? Of course the pizza will be more calorific. And more expensive to boot.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Now the key is, everything in moderation. Who eats out at a sit down restaurant for every meal?
If I'm going out in the evening, I'll have a lighter lunch to balance it out. It's not rocket science.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’m sure I average well over 1033 calories with my restaurant trips.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'd be very disappointed in a restaurant meal that only had 1000 calories...and the 'health experts' that say meals should be below 600 calories.......on what grounds ? Depends on the rest of your daily intake, and what you're burning off. Really simple equation (for the majority - certain illnesses/conditions excepted) is calories in vs calories out to gain/lose weight.

Meanwhile, north of the border.........

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7895077/scottish-chip-shop-battered-christmas-dinner/

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
All they need is to make restaurants include the calorie count on the menus, so we can make more informed decisions.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
All they need is to make restaurants include the calorie count on the menus, so we can make more informed decisions.

Becoming more common anyway, particularity in the chains anyway.......and if not visible on the menu, loads are available online anyway. Using the Pizza Hut example from above (don't click the link if you're partial to a whole large stuffed crust 2,000 calorie snack :D) : Much more difficult for independent restaurants or those with varying menus of course

https://www.pizzahut.co.uk/order/pdfs/gb/nutritionals.5ef9b2387fe94e14f09686c3264e6807.pdf

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I'd be very disappointed in a restaurant meal that only had 1000 calories...and the 'health experts' that say meals should be below 600 calories.......on what grounds ? Depends on the rest of your daily intake, and what you're burning off. Really simple equation (for the majority - certain illnesses/conditions excepted) is calories in vs calories out to gain/lose weight.

not only that but assumes a rather large breakfast and quite a few snacks to get to the target daily intake.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Much more difficult for independent restaurants or those with varying menus of course
Yes of course. I wouldn't want something that makes running a small business too difficult. But implementing something that's workable would be good.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I can't be the only one who's never full after getting a 'meal' from a fast food place. For someone with my appetite, a Whopper or Fillet o' Fish is like a snack.

Not saying restaurants are healthier, but it depends on what you're comparing: A large pizza and a side with a glass of wine versus a Happy Meal? Of course the pizza will be more calorific. And more expensive to boot.

As a Happy Meal is for kids, perhaps that wasn't the ideal comparison!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Nonsense. This would be a boon for the corporates, and imperil the independents and, in particular, the best of them that do things like re-write menus on a daily basis according to what's the best value and quality produce that's available.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Next time have a Bender in a Bun, that'll fill you right up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here