Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Taxi driver takes passenger passport

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
Last night my son caught a cab to his girlfriend's parents house. He tried to pay by card, but the card got declined, as he had forgot he had moved a sum to his savings account and had spent more than expected. After trying a few times santander then blocked his card. The taxi driver asked to see his id, and charged him extra for the delay, then refused to give his passport back until he was paid.

Is this normal practice?

He has spoken to the cab driver today who says he will return it Monday.

Obviously my son should have woken someone up, or been carrying at least some cash.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Passports actually remain the property of HM Government. I am sure if they found out it would be cancelled but he would then have to fork out on a replacement.

Having worked in a garage years ago I can testify that people not being able to pay for fuel was a massive pain. especially as some of them obviously knew they had no money (not saying your son did that).

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Two things....

1) Why was your Son out and about with such an important document?

2) The only mode of transport (so to speak) legally allowed to hold on to your passport is a cruise ship.

Too many variables here, combined with 'what if's' - so I'd just let him learn his lesson from this. If he likes to take his passport out and about for some reason, then if it happens again let the cab driver take a picture of his passport on his phone, take a picture of him, then a short video of him saying "I am (name and address) owe you (x amount) cab fare, and will pay you tomorrow when I have access to my card again" - or something like that.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Sounds reasonable to me.

I'm guessing it's normally their driving license. Pay the money, get it back :shrug:

Wonder what our resident cabbies think?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Lucky he didn't get driven to the local cop-shop,or educated with a baseball bat.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’m sure it’s not standard procedure but I’d tell the lad to put this one down to experience and make sure he’s got the means to pay in the future.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I would have thought it is absolutely illegal to take someone's passport and refuse to give it back.

Interesting philosophical question as passports are the property of the crown. So neither the youngster or the cabbie own it.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
I’d say the cabbies been pretty fair to be honest, he could have been a proper **** about it, this way the lad gets to his destination, the cabbies got some security and if he doesn’t pay the cabbie has got some kind of evidence to get what he’s owed.
Should be a lesson learned, this is why I always keep some cash in my wallet even in this age of technology!

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Buy him one of these for christmas:
1472745060-24016500.png

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
I would have thought it is absolutely illegal to take someone's passport and refuse to give it back.

I imagine it`s illegal to get a cab and not pay for it ! Cabbie was within his rights to take something as collateral for him being owed money !

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
So how many cloned false identities has he got now.

I wouldn't have thought that taking someone else's passport was legal. Could be interesting next time he tries to through immigration at the airport.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
We need a poll, where's [MENTION=1200]Harry Wilson's tackle[/MENTION] when we need him?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
For those questioning the need for a passport many young people take their passports for ID purposes, many 18 yo’s don’t drive these days so don’t have a license!

And for @herrtubthumper’s benefit ,

IT WOULDN’T HAPPEN IN AN UBER.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
I Googled this out of interest. It's not illegal if he had/has every intention of paying.

Section 3 of the theft act:

(1)Subject to subsection (3) below, a person who, knowing that payment on the spot for any goods supplied or service done is required or expected from him, dishonestly makes off without having paid as required or expected and with intent to avoid payment of the amount due shall be guilty of an offence.

When we play palace, I have every intention of not calling Zaha a *******, ******, cheating, ******* ****. It just sort of slips out :shrug:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Team Taxi here.

He isn't keeping the passport and if your son was desperate to use it then he had today to sort out paying the driver. You know your son and therefore that it was a genuine error but the taxi driver doesn't.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here