Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Fan Categories...Tin Helmets on everyone!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I never thought I'd see the day but there really is an element of 'glory-hunters' around the club these days. We even get 'Tourists'!! Us - little old Brighton?!! All very welcome and exciting times.

It got me thinking, when we built it, those that came included a fair number of Johnny Come Lately's or JCL's as they are fondly called. Which is fine, all welcome at church etc and not talking about those who couldn't get in at Withdean or returning from Goldstone era or too young.

But, with the aforementioned in mind, is there now a new category of supporter e.g. "the J-CEL's" (Johnny Came Extremely Late) or some other acronym that suits?

And at which point in time do you cross-categories (which are?) or are you forever 'classed' / it's a one-off thing depending on when and how you ended up supporting the Albion?

Thoughts? All tongue-in-cheek of course...:kiss:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I never thought I'd see the day but there really is an element of 'glory-hunters' around the club these days. We even get 'Tourists'!! Us - little old Brighton?!! All very welcome and exciting times.

It got me thinking, when we built it, those that came included a fair number of Johnny Come Lately's or JCL's as they are fondly called. Which is fine, all welcome at church etc and not talking about those who couldn't get in at Withdean or returning from Goldstone era or too young.

But, with the aforementioned in mind, is there now a new category of supporter e.g. "the J-CEL's" (Johnny Came Extremely Late) or some other acronym that suits?

And at which point in time do you cross-categories (which are?) or are you forever 'classed' / it's a one-off thing depending on when and how you ended up supporting the Albion?

Thoughts? All tongue-in-cheek of course...:kiss:

I'd like to know what to call the late teenagers in stupidly tight trousers, with silly haircuts, who I have never seen in West Upper before, who were trying to do an impression of the body language of the throwbacks they have seen on youtube, shouting to each other too loudly, as if they are part of some sort of Albion hoolie crew, and who are likely to never be seen again. Zayden Mayflies?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
ELBOWS...Early Leavers, Bed 'Ome Waiting

I'd just like to say that I did leave five minutes early on Tuesday. And I don't give a flying **** :)

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Conversions should be a genuine category.
In other words, football fans who initially had an affiliation with another team (whether genuine or half-baked) - usually London-based Premier League side, but not always - who have come along to the Albion, loved it and have now genuinely switched their affiliation.
The test of course will come as and when we suffer a dip in fortunes and get relegated. We'll see how full a conversion we achieved then :lolol:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I'd like to know what to call the late teenagers in stupidly tight trousers, with silly haircuts, who I have never seen in West Upper before, who were trying to do an impression of the body language of the throwbacks they have seen on youtube, shouting to each other too loudly, as if they are part of some sort of Albion hoolie crew, and who are likely to never be seen again. Zayden Mayflies?

Not sure but I do know they’ll call you...”Old”!

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
I'd just like to say that I did leave five minutes early on Tuesday. And I don't give a flying **** :)

I can get people who leave five mins before end to beat the queues. The ones that really piss me off are the ones who leave five mins before half time and come back five mins after restart.

They missed goal of the season !!

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I'd like to know what to call the late teenagers in stupidly tight trousers, with silly haircuts, who I have never seen in West Upper before, who were trying to do an impression of the body language of the throwbacks they have seen on youtube, shouting to each other too loudly, as if they are part of some sort of Albion hoolie crew, and who are likely to never be seen again.

Anything you like. They won't be able to hear you with those oversized headphones on.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Conversions should be a genuine category.
In other words, football fans who initially had an affiliation with another team (whether genuine or half-baked) - usually London-based Premier League side, but not always - who have come along to the Albion, loved it and have now genuinely switched their affiliation.
The test of course will come as and when we suffer a dip in fortunes and get relegated. We'll see how full a conversion we achieved then :lolol:

Prefer the term "born again Seagulls" myself. Applies to me and few folks I know that aren't from Sussex but moved here to raise a family. The n the kids ask to go along to the Amex so take them and start enjoying the matches and atmosphere.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I can get people who leave five mins before end to beat the queues. The ones that really piss me off are the ones who leave five mins before half time and come back five mins after restart.

Saw all the goals and managed to get home at around 11.30 instead of the 12.30 it would have been had we stayed to the end. I think that (it may be been) @Man of Harvey's (who) had a thing at Withdean that involved not ever managing to catch a kick off :lolol:. Personally I never go to the bog or bar early before half time, and am (nearly) always in my seat before second half starts....

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

I'd just like to say that I'm a regular early leaver but even I couldn't tear myself away early on Tuesday.

After that sublime performance I had to stay to applaud every player off of the pitch. It was the least they deserved.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

My son is in WSU and said that there were quite a number of faces around him that he hadn't seen before. However, they were getting the singing and atmos going in the WSU, which has been pretty quiet and sterile after the first couple of Amex seasons. So IMHO it's all good.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My son is in WSU and said that there were quite a number of faces around him that he hadn't seen before. However, they were getting the singing and atmos going in the WSU, which has been pretty quiet and sterile after the first couple of Amex seasons. So IMHO it's all good.

Yes, I heard them singing. But they were singing to themselves. WSU sang, as it always does, when the people in the centre start something, or when the North starst something.....I am not anti the tight trousered newcomers as such, but they do remind me all too easily of the group of pillocks at Stoke away some years ago, who chanted racist abuse and barracked our own players, and came very close to getting slaps from several very angry older people nearby. New is good. **** is bad. That's all really.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
All welcome.

But respect should always be given to those who saw through priestfield (I wasn't one of them, or at least not regularly).

It seems as if some people take real offence to the notion of a 'better fan' nowadays. Particularly those sat in front of their television sets. It's quite sad.

If someone is willing to drive a 200 mile round trip to see their side at 'home' for 2 years, with the club's future totally uncertain, then they are by definition a better fan than those who passed it up. Likewise, so are those who (DISCLAIMER: THOSE WHO RESIDE IN SUSSEX) are willing to sacrifice an hour of their time sitting in the ****ing bridge car park queue to applaud the players off.

We'll only really know if our support is widening when we fall on bad times again. Let's hope 'bad times' only constitutes a relegation or two this time round, and not near oblivion.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

It was funny in the north stand as the exit is just in front of me. There were those who heard the roar and tried to turn round, whereas those halfway down the steps were craning their necks trying to see what had happened.
We could look down at them and laugh whilst waiting for the replay to come up on the screen behind us.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here