Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] So .... Any chance we can take the FA Cup seriously this year?

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Every year since I first started posting on NSC (1999) come January the cry has gone up: "Forget the Cup, the League is far more important this year. It's vital we get promoted / avoid relegation this season. Next season we can take the Cup seriously, but not this." And like tomorrow, 'next season' never comes.

So how about it? Full-strength team at Bournemouth and give it a go? After all the "We're never going to win it so why bother?" argument can't be made any more, and as we're mid-table at Christmas we're pretty much as 'safe' as we're ever going to be. I'm hoping to find support especially amongst those who moan about the 'negativity' of our approach to League games and moan that the limit of our ambitions is to only lose narrowly at the likes of Man City whilst we chase that all-important 17th place. Let's give it a go this year..

EDIT: Of course in earlier years the 'Forget the Cup' cry went up a lot earlier than January ...

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Every year since I first started posting on NSC (1999) come January the cry has gone up: "Forget the Cup, the League is far more important this year. It's vital we get promoted / avoid relegation this season. Next season we can take the Cup seriously, but not this." And like tomorrow, 'next season' never comes.

So how about it? Full-strength team at Bournemouth and give it a go? After all the "We're never going to win it so why bother?" argument can't be made any more, and as we're mid-table at Christmas we're pretty much as 'safe' as we're ever going to be. I'm hoping to find support especially amongst those who moan about the 'negativity' of our approach to League games and moan that the limit of our ambitions is to only lose narrowly at the likes of Man City whilst we chase that all-important 17th place. Let's give it a go and have a bit of fun.

What about er, last year ?

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Last year we still played the reserves until we played Man U. I would rather have a proper go in the cup and rest players in one of the league matches vs big guns. If we can beat Burnley at the weekend and who knows also plucky little Bournemouth (not to mention Everton home and wet ham away) then we will have 27 points with half the season to go and probably only need two wins to stay up. Didn’t Bournemouth rest everyone in the cup then go on a losing streak? We should give it a go.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
We stopped taking it seriously when we stopped singing 'going up to win the cup for sausage by the sea'

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Last year we still played the reserves until we played Man U. I would rather have a proper go in the cup and rest players in one of the league matches vs big guns. If we can beat Burnley at the weekend and who knows also plucky little Bournemouth (not to mention Everton home and wet ham away) then we will have 27 points with half the season to go and probably only need two wins to stay up. Didn’t Bournemouth rest everyone in the cup then go on a losing streak? We should give it a go.

How can being a few chances away from making the semi finals not be “giving it a go”.

But will CH rotate his team/squad. ? Of course he will.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I think the opportunity to play some squad players and maybe blood one or two under 23's is too good to miss.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Depends what you mean by seriously. I'd certainly like to see us go on a run, but if we don't loan out the likes of Connolly or Gykores I'd like to see them be given the opportunity to play a competitive match. I'd view their participation as valuable development for players we would hope can graduate to the first XI.

Also, whilst we are all still basking in the warm glow of post-Palace glory, we should not assume that we are 'safe' just yet. Murray is injured and whilst Andone is brilliant, next man up is Locadia. No room for complacency just yet.

I understand the sentiment of the OP and would not be unhappy to see us put out a first choice XI but conversely I'd understand Hughton's reticence to do so.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Still six league games until the FA cup match.

What kind of team we play and how seriously we take it will depend on what happens in the next four weeks.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
2017-2018 Quarter-Finals (lost to finalists)
2016-2017 4th Round
2015-2016 3rd Round
2014-2015 4th Round (lost to winners)
2013-2014 5th Round (lost to finalists)

It's not quite symmetrical, but it shows that we've got slightly better in recent years, as one would expect based on our league improvement.

The Lincoln away result 2 years back still sticks, but it's worth remembering that, as a non-League team, Lincoln also beat Burnley away in the 5th Round.

We should 'take it seriously' and field a team able to compete and win. All fans, especially those travelling, have the right to expect as much.

What's reassuring is that we've all seen just how good some of the new players are on Tuesday night in the heat of a derby.

We'll give it a go.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
With Andone on 2 in 2 and looking superb, if he carries on in this vein that should mean Murray and Locadia will be the reserves. Go for it, same as we did last year.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither

Ah. Cup Final coverage starting at 10:00am. Jeff Astle. Mike Trebilcock. Charlie George on the turf. Sunderland (and Alan). Where did those days go ?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Quarter finals last year seemed to be taking it fairly seriously, imo.

When was the last time we beat Bournemouth at their place, even with a full squad?

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
Can imagine a team line along the lines of this for 3rd round game

Steele
Bruno Balogun Burn Bong
Ali J Kayal Bissouma Gyokeres
Locadia Connolly

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Have I missed it, or have Muff announced ticket prices and confirmed the date/time for the 3rd round yet?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here