Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Competition For Places

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
It seems that across the pitch (with two obvious exceptions), competition for places is increasingly getting tougher.

We’d be in the legendary ‘top six’ if Stephens and Kayal had not let us down against Cardiff & Leicester respectively. This is turning into one hell of a season.

Here is the current picture.

Single Striker:
Murray’s goal scoring record is comparable with the Premier League’s very best Strikers.
The likes of Mo Salah have not scored more than him! Andone is pushing hard but Murray is king at the moment. Locadia has not had a proper go (still an unknown quantity) and then there is Connolly and Gyökeres who are regularly sending CH a weekly ‘pick me’ message with their class performances for the U23 side.

Number 10:
Groß still dominates this position with March making a good effort to fill it but not really looking the part. I can’t see CH playing a striker here so perhaps Wigan’s Nick Powell will jump in the car down south with his giant teammate Burn next month to give Pascal something to really think about. He’d come fairly cheap with only 6 months left on his contract. He could be as good as Maddison. The likes of Tilley, Alzate and Ahannach all stand a chance of playing this role in the future if they can continue to improve but it’s the prospect of speed freak and assist builder Percy Tau for next season that really gets my juices flowing.

Central Midfield:
For quite some time, the Stephens-Kayal axis was a central part of our dramatic rise and improvements under CH. Pröpper (who will surely be facing England and maybe Dunk in next year’s inaugural Nations League Semi-Final) has managed to dislodge the excellent Beram but has our lynchpin Stephens just lost his place to the absolute weapon that is Bissouma? I think so. Dale’s red card not only cost us 6th place, it could cost him a place in the starting line-up a lot longer than three games. There is also good quality in the U23s; at 19, Sanders and Molumby might not be ready but 22yr old Normann will need a first team place or transfer for the start of next season.

The Wingers:
Wingers are rarely consistent (we all know that) but Solly March is proving to be our most stable one with Groß like asset stats already. We have yet to see a run of good games from the patchy Izquierdo & Knockaert, how good would we be if they both found some form and goals at the same time? Then there is our record signing who like we saw with Bissouma, Bernardo and Andone, just needs some more Premier League experience to really shine, so much yet to see from Ali-J. The likes of Dreyer from the U23s could make the grade in the future but we also have Ecuadorean prospect Billy Arce contracted to 2022, can he manage the switch to Europe?

Full Backs:
Bruno continues to perform despite having the big 40 looming over him for the year after next. But ex-Barcelona ace Montoya is making a huge claim for the starting role. Bong has been solid this season but Bernardo has now overtaken him. We have exceptional 3rd choice full backs in Suttner & Schelotto but I suspect both will be off after Christmas to find first team football. Either would excel in the Championship and would walk into a side like Cardiff or Huddersfield. George Cox looks a great prospect from the U23s at left back but we’ll probably need a youngish right back to keep Montoya and Bruno in check going forward.

Centre Backs:
England’s Lewis Dunk has nailed his place down alongside a probable multi million pound move to enable him to play in the Champions League next season. However, could his sidekick Duffy have just lost his place to Balogun with that reckless red card? Time will tell. The second half of the season could see the emergence of Wigan’s giant Burn or even Dunk’s long term replacement from the U23s, Ben White. It all looks very healthy at the back.

Goalkeepers:
Seemingly no real completion for Ryan due to HGP priorities but does he need it? The Bmuff cup game will give a challenger the chance to shine but let’s hope Maty stays fit.

There are not too many holes that will need to be filled in January; our strength in depth is already something to behold!

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
It seems that across the pitch (with two obvious exceptions), competition for places is increasingly getting tougher.

We’d be in the legendary ‘top six’ if Stephens and Kayal had not let us down against Cardiff & Leicester respectively. This is turning into one hell of a season.

Single Striker:
Murray’s goal scoring record is comparable with the Premier League’s very best Strikers.
The likes of Mo Salah have not scored more than him! Andone is pushing hard but Murray is king at the moment. Locadia has not had a proper go (still an unknown quantity) and then there is Connolly and Gyökeres who are regularly sending CH a weekly ‘pick me’ message with their class performances for the U23 side.

Number 10:
Groß still dominates this position with March making a good effort to fill it but not really looking the part. I can’t see CH playing a striker here so perhaps Wigan’s Nick Powell will jump in the car down south with his giant teammate Burn next month to give Pascal something to really think about. He’d come fairly cheap with only 6 months left on his contract. He could be as good as Maddison. The likes of Tilley, Alzate and Ahannach all stand a chance of playing this role in the future if they can continue to improve but it’s the prospect of speed freak and assist builder Percy Tau for next season that really gets my juices flowing.

Central Midfield:
For quite some time, the Stephens-Kayal axis was a central part of our dramatic rise and improvements under CH. Pröpper (who will surely be facing England and maybe Dunk in next year’s inaugural Nations League Semi-Final) has managed to dislodge the excellent Beram but has our lynchpin Stephens just lost his place to the absolute weapon that is Bissouma? I think so. Dale’s red card not only cost us 6th place, it could cost him a place in the starting line-up a lot longer than three games. There is also good quality in the U23s; at 19, Sanders and Molumby might not be ready but 22yr old Normann will need a first team place or transfer for the start of next season.

The Wingers:
Wingers are rarely consistent (we all know that) but Solly March is proving to be our most stable one with Groß like asset stats already. We have yet to see a run of good games from the patchy Izquierdo & Knockaert, how good would we be if they both found some form and goals at the same time? Then there is our record signing who like we saw with Bissouma, Bernardo and Andone, just needs some more Premier League experience to really shine, so much yet to see from Ali-J. The likes of Dreyer from the U23s could make the grade in the future but we also have Ecuadorean prospect Billy Arce contracted to 2022, can he manage the switch to Europe?

Full Backs:
Bruno continues to perform despite having the big 40 looming over him for the year after next. But ex-Barcelona ace Montoya is making a huge claim for the starting role. Bong has been solid this season but Bernardo has now overtaken him. We have exceptional 3rd choice full backs in Suttner & Schelotto but I suspect both will be off after Christmas to find first team football. Either would excel in the Championship and would walk into a side like Cardiff or Huddersfield. George Cox looks a great prospect from the U23s at left back but we’ll probably need a youngish right back to keep Montoya and Bruno in check going forward.

Centre Backs:
England’s Lewis Dunk has nailed his place down alongside a probable multi million pound move to enable him to play in the Champions League next season. However, could his sidekick Duffy have just lost his place to Balogun with that reckless red card? Time will tell. The second half of the season could see the emergence of Wigan’s giant Burn or even Dunk’s long term replacement from the U23s, Ben White. It all looks very healthy at the back.

Goalkeepers:
Seemingly no real completion for Ryan due to HGP priorities but does he need it? The Bmuff cup game will give a challenger the chance to shine but let’s hope Maty stays fit.

There are not too many holes that will need to be filled in January; our strength in depth is already something to behold!

Pretty sure Locadia will leave in January should a suitable bid come in and a replacement sought for him

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Pretty sure Locadia will leave in January should a suitable bid come in and a replacement sought for him

His mojo must have sunk either further with the performances of Andone and Bissouma as he saw his chances even further reduced, although if Murray is injured we do need him ready.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Good summary. A couple of further observations:
-- timing-wise, we might have struck lucky, because as Murray gets gradually eased out, Connolly can gradually be eased in (and if Locadia does leave -- either permanently or, more likely, on loan -- we'll find out how swiftly they want to make Connolly a regular in the first team)
-- Gyokeres can also play the wide role, as well as up-front, and that's his position for the u23s
-- Alzate, Tilley and Ahannach really won't make the grade. We can forget about Ahannach, Tilley really hasn't kicked on, and doesn't get a place in the u23s, while Alzate is doing well on loan, but it's such a big step up
-- you're right about CM, we have real strength in depth there, and it's a shame Molumby (arguably the gem) has been injured for so long. Normann is a quality player, extremely creative, but you're right that at 22, he probably won't make our first team in the PL. He'd grace a L1, even Championship, team.

In January, we're now in the unenviable position where (provided there are no big outs, eg Dunk) we can survey the market and buy if there's a player for the long-term, or leave it if our excellent recruitment team thinks that the better players will be available in the summer.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I think its too early to say all is well but given the last two performances we certainly seem to be in a better place.

The changes to personnel have changed our style we are now much more mobile and that has allowed us to flow and come forward quickly. Its no surprise to me that March looks better in that team. I suspect Locadia will look better in that format as well. Of course all this might have been down to the quality of the opposition tho we traditionally don't do well against either.

I am a bit worried about Balogon , great goal but the penalty was daft and a repeat of last Saturday when we got away with it.

If everyone is fit then I think CH has a big challenge on his hands - change a winning team v revert to safe

Personally think Izzie has been ok , he attracts a lot of attention from defenders which should free space for others . The first goal was down to his persistence.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
for Locadia, trouble with this league is strikers just need to do a lot more than other leagues. they arent there to just score goals, they are expected to stretch oppositions on their own, hold up play, link midfield, drop back for defense and some times press if tactics dictate. we've seen many world class strikers struggle, and then with suitable midfield/wingers to help them. either height and muscle, or bursting pace and work rate required. Andone seems to have the latter and will probably jump Locadia in the order.

midfield and defense look decent though dont they?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Good summary OP

You're less confident of Dunk staying than I am.

I agree we will look to find back up for Gross. Putting Solly there highlights this is a weakness in the squad. Not totally it will be Powell. If I was going to bet on it, I'd say it will be someone I've never heard of.

I've got a feeling Hughton is going to look to bring in keeper at the start of Jan for the rest of the season. Someone with top level experience and almost certainly foreign. That one's dependent of Button's fitness and how Steele has done in training.

Re wingers, it will be interesting to see if Gyokeres makes the bench Saturday if there's no Ali J or Izquierdo

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly

Single Striker:

Number 10:

Central Midfield:

The Wingers:

Full Backs:

Centre Backs:

Goalkeepers:

What about Ali J much much, much ,more to come from him...

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Goalkeepers:

It will be more than the cup game, as Ryan is away with Australia for most of January, which at the moment is a concern.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here