Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Matt Ryan's position for the Palace penalty

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Seemed very lop sided in a sort of Paul Cooper style to me
Not in the middle for those of you too young to remember , But favouring one side
almost tempting it to be put to his left
But he dived right ( the side he favoured )anyway
Is this down to video assessment of the opposition penalty takers?
Or had he just lost his bearings slightly?
Not a moan, after such a wonderful result / performance
Just an observation
Not seen it mentioned, so if I'm fixtured. So be it

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I noticed that myself when l saw it played back today. Doubtless he had his reasons for taking up that position, and let's face it, keepers stand very little chance when it comes to saving penalties anyway, irrespective of all the researsh that they do.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Definitely a ploy to get in his head. Wasn’t a loss of bearings :lol:

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
He did similar for Vardy’s penalty the other week. I thought it strange. It does not look too convincing from the North stand.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I thought it was mind games. Hoping he'd cause it to be struck to his right by teasing him with more space to his left i.e. I'm hoping you to go to my left and that's where I'm going.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Year ago I did a golkeeping course run by John Keeley. It was one of the tactics suggested for penalties. It draws strikers to aim for the bigger area. But, strikers know that's why you're doing it and expect you to dive to the more exposed side, so aim for the smaller side, so you go for the smaller side. But goalkeepers can sometimes be expecting that and will dive to the smaller side so you should go to the more exposed side...

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Very much in the react, rather than guess camp myself
If the penalty's good you have No chance anyway
But how many do we see that are saveable
If only the keeper hadn't dived early ?
As opposed to pens actually saved by diving early?

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
He’s been watching videos of the 83 cup final.
Gave it the Moseley

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I can't believe keepers still dive left against Harry Kane penalties.

He hits them bloody well to be fair, so even if the keeper goes the same way the chances of getting anything on them is minimal. But I was mildly irritated by Ryan flopping to his left this season when facing up to one. FFS, he ALWAYS hits them left.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
With so many penalties being just hit down the middle, I often wonder why keepers even bother diving, Just stand where you are and you might get lucky.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
He hasn’t even got close to the 3/4 penalties we have faced this season. Got wrong way or not moved at all. Compared to last years 66% saving record (I think)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Year ago I did a golkeeping course run by John Keeley. It was one of the tactics suggested for penalties. It draws strikers to aim for the bigger area. But, strikers know that's why you're doing it and expect you to dive to the more exposed side, so aim for the smaller side, so you go for the smaller side. But goalkeepers can sometimes be expecting that and will dive to the smaller side so you should go to the more exposed side...

:mad::wozza:

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
He hasn’t even got close to the 3/4 penalties we have faced this season. Got wrong way or not moved at all. Compared to last years 66% saving record (I think)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No surprise and no worry at all for me.

The 66% save rate last season was a fluke. If a penalty is reasonably well taken, the keeper shouldn't be able to keep it out, if he does it is a bonus.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It was very obvious watching from the North that it was mind games. But I was expecting him to take a step just as the penalty was taken to put himself in the middle, but he didn't :shrug:

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
With so many penalties being just hit down the middle, I often wonder why keepers even bother diving, Just stand where you are and you might get lucky.

There was some research a while back (think it was Norwegian but can’t find it now) that said exactly that, or more correctly, from the taker’s perspective, that the most assured way of scoring is smashing down the middle.

But have you ever seen a penalty saved by a keeper on his feet; or even a keeper who stays on his feet? It is probably that you look completely useless as a keeper if you do nothing and ball is drilled in corner.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
There was some research a while back (think it was Norwegian but can’t find it now) that said exactly that, or more correctly, from the taker’s perspective, that the most assured way of scoring is smashing down the middle.

But have you ever seen a penalty saved by a keeper on his feet; or even a keeper who stays on his feet? It is probably that you look completely useless as a keeper if you do nothing and ball is drilled in corner.

I was going to post pretty much exactly this.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

So, useless keepers should do nothing and save the penalty! (I think)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here