Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Summer signings

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Over the last few weeks quite a few people on here have doubted the quality of the summer signings. Was it just me who noticed that last night was probably the first time this felt like a different team?

Doubts have been raised about the signings because they have not featured as much as some fans would like. But what do you know? Last night the following all played well and we look a different team.

Bernardo - stinking debut, dropped but now he has come back he looks settled and a clear upgrade on bong.
Montoya - Bruno is getting older and after a tricky patch a few weeks ago he played brilliantly and dealt with zaha.
Balogan - slightly lucky to be available but he had a fine game off the bench but for the poor pen. I did like his reaction when he initially tried arguing it was outside the box then realised no chance so pretended he got the ball.
Bissouma - this guy is going To be brilliant. Once he scores his first goal I suspect more will follow. Clear upgrade on Stephens.
Andone - this guy could become a Brighton legend. His movement is brilliant, he doesn’t stop running and he has a touch of class.

Five summer signings all looking good. Hopefully the Iranian Ronaldo will find his mojo and we can enjoy some flair.

Solly version 18/19 is like a new signing.

Well done hughton for slowly introducing players and now we can reap the benefits. I am just glad we didn’t go down the Fulham route of chucking them in the starting line up and hoping for the best.

Maybe I will get paid on my 5/1 bet for us to finish top half!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jan 3, 2012
Over the last few weeks quite a few people on here have doubted the quality of the summer signings. Was it just me who noticed that last night was probably the first time this felt like a different team?

Doubts have been raised about the signings because they have not featured as much as some fans would like. But what do you know? Last night the following all played well and we look a different team.

Bernardo - stinking debut, dropped but now he has come back he looks settled and a clear upgrade on bong.
Montoya - Bruno is getting older and after a tricky patch a few weeks ago he played brilliantly and dealt with zaha.
Balogan - slightly lucky to be available but he had a fine game off the bench but for the poor pen. I did like his reaction when he initially tried arguing it was outside the box then realised no chance so pretended he got the ball.
Bissouma - this guy is going To be brilliant. Once he scores his first goal I suspect more will follow. Clear upgrade on Stephens.
Andone - this guy could become a Brighton legend. His movement is brilliant, he doesn’t stop running and he has a touch of class.

Five summer signings all looking good. Hopefully the Iranian Ronaldo will find his mojo and we can enjoy some flair.

Well done hughton for slowly introducing players and now we can reap the benefits. I am just glad we didn’t go down the Fulham route of chucking them in the starting line up and hoping for the best.

I was going to post something like this, but you said but all. Top marks to recruitment. It was a joy to watch.

-gully-

The Flux Capacitor
Nov 7, 2009
Shrewsbury
So many players written off after a handful of bit part appearances and isolated starts. They all stepped up when needed most.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
Yes, maybe there will be a flurry of posts now with all said posters eating humble pie. Although they are probably more liking to say something like, "But Andone has only scored two goals, let's see how many he scores come the end of the season."

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Did anyone else notice how the new boys celebrated together and walked off together? Bit of special cameraderie between the summer signings who all had to wait for their chance.

bhaseeer

Aug 29, 2017
How the coaching staff kept these new players happy while they didn't play is magnificent. They are now monsters. Slowly bringing them in is a masterstroke.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
I don’t think that many wrote off Bissouma and Andone

Bissouma’s cameo vs Watford was excellent
Andone’s cameo vs Everton was excellent

Jahanbaksh vs Everton was utterly dreadful and the jury is very much still out.

And Lokadia. Hmmmm. Who knows

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Bernardo's interview on website was illuminating as to how the coaching staff introduce players to the PL style on training ground. OP has nailed it; think AJ will be fine, he is an accomplished international player. Locadia was a mystery, now looking to be the one big mistake. But you never know...

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I made a similar point elsewhere, but it's almost as if a professional football manager knows better than fans of the football club. Who would've thought? [emoji848][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I made a similar point elsewhere, but it's almost as if a professional football manager knows better than fans of the football club. Who would've thought? [emoji848][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

My neighbour is assistant manager of a national league north side and had a decent enough semi pro career after starting in the championship. I go and watch the matches and obviously like any fan share my views. Obviously I get most things wrong but I have been banging on at him for weeks about trying inverted wingers. Couple of weeks ago an inverted winger cut in and scored a cracker. I was smug.

It is fascinating speaking to him about systems and how they set up. It is so much more complex than the vast majority of fans can possibly imagine but we all think we know best.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

No I didn't write off any of them. Bernado was played out of position for most of them game at Watford, I was surprised he wasn't given a chance since but Bong was doing well.

Bissouma and Stephens are completely different players, Bissouma contests Propper for the CM spot with more freedom to go forward and can either fill in for Gross (as he has been doing), or play at the top of a diamond.

Andone does look extremely sharp and up for it. Hoping very much he makes a name for himself here.

Solly has always been hot and cold, as most wingers are. Which is represented on these boards by him either being totally shit or absolutely brilliant.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
No I didn't write off any of them. Bernado was played out of position for most of them game at Watford, I was surprised he wasn't given a chance since but Bong was doing well.

Bissouma and Stephens are completely different players, Bissouma contests Propper for the CM spot with more freedom to go forward and can either fill in for Gross (as he has been doing), or play at the top of a diamond.

Andone does look extremely sharp and up for it. Hoping very much he makes a name for himself here.

Solly has always been hot and cold, as most wingers are. Which is represented on these boards by him either being totally shit or absolutely brilliant.

This point is an important one, for me, given that I've seen loads of people saying Stephens doesn't have the quality. Up until recently, he was getting plaudits left, right and centre and without whom the team couldn't win a game. Now all of a sudden some fans are almost pushing him out of the door. He's quality – and, as you rightly point out, does a different job to Bissouma did last night. DS's influence shouldn't be underestimated. IMO, like.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
The performance of Propper and Bissouma will at least make DS raise his game again hopefully

Neither deserve to miss out at the weekend with Dale being available.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here