Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Change of tactics

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Only saw it till the sending off obviously, but a distinct change in tactics from our normal Premier League set up.

Thought we started a bit more of a 4-1-4-1 than our normal 4-4-1-1. Propper sat as a lone defensive midfielder with Gross lying deeper than his normal no.10 role to play alongside Bissouma, drifting out right especially to really unlock some spaces.

We've played with Propper / Stephens or Stephens / Kayal as a pair in the centre for sometime, so the tactics appeared to me at least as Hughton playing to his available player's strengths rather than any strict adherence to a formation. It showed that Bissouma-Gross-Propper could really work as a unit, and with Andone showing he could be a really great player for us, we appear to have some excellent options in the weeks and months to come.

Positive approach to the game, and signs our signings can really have an impact.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jan 3, 2012
Only saw it till the sending off obviously, but a distinct change in tactics from our normal Premier League set up.

Thought we started a bit more of a 4-1-4-1 than our normal 4-4-1-1. Propper sat as a lone defensive midfielder with Gross lying deeper than his normal no.10 role to play alongside Bissouma, drifting out right especially to really unlock some spaces.

We've played with Propper / Stephens or Stephens / Kayal as a pair in the centre for sometime, so the tactics appeared to me at least as Hughton playing to his available player's strengths rather than any strict adherence to a formation. It showed that Bissouma-Gross-Propper could really work as a unit, and with Andone showing he could be a really great player for us, we appear to have some excellent options in the weeks and months to come.

Positive approach to the game, and signs our signings can really have an impact.

That last sentence says a lot. Bissouma and Andone (what a goal) both candidates for man of the match. Montaya and Bernardo solid, and Balogun too despite what some are saying about "lunges".

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
That last sentence says a lot. Bissouma and Andone (what a goal) both candidates for man of the match. Montaya and Bernardo solid, and Balogun too despite what some are saying about "lunges".

I've said on numerous threads you can only be positive and attack teams when your players are on top of their game. Bissouma playing along side Gross in front of Propper gave us a new dimension not for just the tactics, but because they were playing well. No offence to Balogun, but no idea how he got it. I thought Propper and Bissouma put legendary shifts in, Andone was sensational, and dangerous through the 2nd half too.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think it worked best when we moved to the unusual 4-1-3-1 formation...

Joking aside, Bissouma showed real quality in so many defensive situations in the 2nd half. He slotted in nicely beside Propper to protect the back four, but he broke with menace, his sniffing out of danger was instinctive and he never shirked a challenge. Massively impressed with the quality he is now showing.

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Joking aside, Bissouma showed real quality in so many defensive situations in the 2nd half. He slotted in nicely beside Propper to protect the back four, but he broke with menace, his sniffing out of danger was instinctive and he never shirked a challenge. Massively impressed with the quality he is now showing.

We said pretty much exactly that....he was snapping into (and winning) tackles, chasing everything and then, and saw this in Bernardo as well, almost always (instinctively perhaps) looking FORWARD when in possession. Andone was perfect for 11v 10 - so much strength and pace. Had a bit of a chuckle about whether Muzza would've scored the third goal from that starting position :lolol::lolol::lolol:

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

Played that way on Saturday at Huddersfield. Gross more to the right, Bissouma more to the left and Propper deeper and central. For me Hughton is not being more positive it is just that with Gross and Propper back in the squad and fit we have been able to keep the ball a lot better than earlier in the season. Therefore we are further up the pitch.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

We should have 'Andone' auto-correct to 'Andone (what a goal)'

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I have to hold my hand up and admit that my doubts about CH and the new signings appear to be way off the mark. Unfortunately I missed the last two games and the thrills they supplied. Long may it continue, the thrills not the missing of them.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I have to hold my hand up and admit that my doubts about CH and the new signings appear to be way off the mark. Unfortunately I missed the last two games and the thrills they supplied. Long may it continue, the thrills not the missing of them.

You did

The newbies when they get their chance they gotta grab it instantly and keep it up or they are out

Montoya started well. Dropped his standards so got dropped till he picks them up again

Bernardo started badly so got dropped till he picks them up again

Bissouma made a few costly errors so got dropped till he learns to cut out the errors

Andone just came up against an in form Murray

Locadia hasn't really grabbed his opportunity when he got on the pitch but he is still a decent player

Balogun, he is always going to struggle to be a mainstay in the side because Dunk and Duffy are just such a brilliant pairing in defence.

Jahanbaksh is still adjusting but he is a brilliant player but he has good competition from other wingers and he hasn't stayed injury free long enough to get into a rythmn and our way of playing yet. He will come good before the season is through.

The new players are all good but its up to them to prove they are better than whats already there. The players in the best form or suited to the tactics being employed against the opposition will get played

zefarelly

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
with some pace to actually get to the ball and run somewhere with it, it gives the midfield a chance to get up and support, and gives the defence some much needed respite. It's all good.

Played that way on Saturday at Huddersfield. Gross more to the right, Bissouma more to the left and Propper deeper and central. For me Hughton is not being more positive it is just that with Gross and Propper back in the squad and fit we have been able to keep the ball a lot better than earlier in the season. Therefore we are further up the pitch.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
You did

The newbies when they get their chance they gotta grab it instantly and keep it up or they are out

Montoya started well. Dropped his standards so got dropped till he picks them up again

Bernardo started badly so got dropped till he picks them up again

Bissouma made a few costly errors so got dropped till he learns to cut out the errors

Andone just came up against an in form Murray

Locadia hasn't really grabbed his opportunity when he got on the pitch but he is still a decent player

Balogun, he is always going to struggle to be a mainstay in the side because Dunk and Duffy are just such a brilliant pairing in defence.

Jahanbaksh is still adjusting but he is a brilliant player but he has good competition from other wingers and he hasn't stayed injury free long enough to get into a rythmn and our way of playing yet. He will come good before the season is through.

The new players are all good but its up to them to prove they are better than whats already there. The players in the best form or suited to the tactics being employed against the opposition will get played

Yes, fascinating stuff. many on here talked of the newcomers enlarging the squad, but not necessarily improving the team, and questioned, perhaps for the first time ever, the current recruitment team. And, to be fair, given the relatively few starts from the summer's buys, the observations were probably quite justified. The last 2 matches have surely seen the pendulum swing somewhat, and it is starting to look like we might just be elevating ourselves into PL mid table standard, as the new players begin to show the promise that justified their purchase. Early days, perhaps, but the signs are good. If GM is injured on Saturday, how many would bemoan FA starting and similarly at the back -would we all now accept that balogoun is an acceptable sub for Duffy?

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea
Yes, fascinating stuff. many on here talked of the newcomers enlarging the squad, but not necessarily improving the team, and questioned, perhaps for the first time ever, the current recruitment team. And, to be fair, given the relatively few starts from the summer's buys, the observations were probably quite justified. The last 2 matches have surely seen the pendulum swing somewhat, and it is starting to look like we might just be elevating ourselves into PL mid table standard, as the new players begin to show the promise that justified their purchase. Early days, perhaps, but the signs are good. If GM is injured on Saturday, how many would bemoan FA starting and similarly at the back -would we all now accept that balogoun is an acceptable sub for Duffy?

I'm already hoping that the line up is this for Saturday

Ryan

Montoya, Dunk, Balogun, Bernado

March, Propper, Bissouma, Knockaert

Gross

Andone

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm already hoping that the line up is this for Saturday

Ryan

Montoya, Dunk, Balogun, Bernado

March, Propper, Bissouma, Knockaert

Gross

Andone

If Murray is fully fit, how do you leave either him or Andone out on current form!? What a dilemma. Can you try them together away from home? Seeing how well Gross did in a wide supporting role in the midfield, could we even see:

Ryan

Montoya – Dunk – Balogun – Bernardo

Propper

March – Bissouma – Gross

Andone

Murray​

???

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Observations were more premature than justified........everything we do has an element of caution, but a massive element of planning. Think we've all got to try to be a bit less judgmental, too soon. Management team seem to be getting most things right, and have done for quite a while now. Happy days.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Observations were more premature than justified........everything we do has an element of caution, but a massive element of planning. Think we've all got to try to be a bit less judgmental, too soon. Management team seem to be getting most things right, and have done for quite a while now. Happy days.

Yes, agree totally. I think collectively we were rather too quick to write off the additions, frustrating though some of the performances were. We really ought to go with the professionals at the club rather more and trust them, when things don't go quite to plan, though doesn't meant they get carte blanche, of course. I include myself in this -I was shocked in 2015 (2016?) that the club gave GM a three year contact, as I could not for the life of me see how at his age he was going to get many goals . . . .

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Actually finding a team mate with passes makes a massive difference too.

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea
If Murray is fully fit, how do you leave either him or Andone out on current form!? What a dilemma. Can you try them together away from home? Seeing how well Gross did in a wide supporting role in the midfield, could we even see:

Ryan

Montoya – Dunk – Balogun – Bernardo

Propper

March – Bissouma – Gross

Andone

Murray​

???

True that - although i would probably say try it in a 4-4-2 like our championship team...

Yes, who would have thought it barely a month ago.

Not even 2 weeks ago - hardly any of our new signings seemed to be ready at that point, 3 games later and we feel a lot more confident with them all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here