Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] £50 for a cinema ticket

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-46438241

Odeon has responded to criticism over the prices it is charging for seats at its new hi-tech cinema in London, where tickets will cost up to £40 ($51).

It told the BBC the prices were similar to tickets for theatre or live sports.

The newly refurbished Odeon Leicester Square will re-open later this month, showing Mary Poppins Returns.

It has had a multi-million pound facelift in partnership with Dolby, which is providing cutting-edge audio-visual technology.

"With tickets starting at just £10 for every show... it offers fantastic value compared to tickets for other popular destinations like the theatre, concerts or live sports," Odeon said in a statement.

"Price choices vary and flex depending on a number of factors including seat type and location in the auditorium, what we're showing, time of day, and the number of people booking at one time.

"The first week of the biggest film of the year during the festive season is obviously peak, and guests can expect prices will flex throughout the year."

According to market research firm Statista, the average price of a cinema ticket in the UK in 2017 was £7.49.

Have to say, I baulk at anything over a tenner but what would you pay £40 for to see at a cinema?

Last edited:

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
I think it's a tactic to get people onto a direct debit. I wouldn't pay full price at a Cineworld or Odean. Meerkat days only for me.
Rather go to Worthing or Burgess Hill and pay a lot less.

jeremyfisher

Dec 8, 2013
My local cinema is just £4 a ticket AND it was just refurbished last year too!

One of the benefits of living in Somerset.

One of the disadvantages is not getting to many matches. Did make it to Cardiff a few weeks ago!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
And they wonder why people illegally download :facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills