Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "Facial recognition will be in operation...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
...for this fixture at all turnstiles across the stadium."

Anyone knows what this means?

Presumably it's not just video recording as that's not facial recognition. I thought FR would involve using a digital capture of a face to identify someone, but to do so would require reference images to validate against.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Presumably it's not just video recording as that's not facial recognition. I thought FR would involve using a digital capture of a face to identify someone, but to do so would require reference images to validate against.

i think Met already have this, they would have footage from previous game and processd into database.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
My guess would be that no hats, scarves or anything obscuring your face will be allowed as you go through the turnstiles, I always have to remove my hat so that the cameras can get a clear shot.
It’s not FR in a techy way.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Think you may have misread that, should read faecal recognition.
We all know what that means

Albion_Dave

Jul 4, 2011
Eastbourne
It was also in use last season. I had to remove my hat entering the North.

There was also stewards with books of mug shots just inside the North entrance last season. Haven't seen it since.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Probably pretty unwise for any who broke through the turnstiles last season to attend tonight ? ???

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It’s a lie if the club are using this. Or if the police it will be against database of known troublemakers .

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Something to do with this, possibly.

"Considerable investment" is needed to get consistency from the police's use of facial recognition, according to a Cardiff University study.

South Wales Police has used automated facial recognition (AFR) technology at several events in Cardiff since the Champions League final in June 2017.

The study found the accuracy of AFR has improved since its introduction, but does worsen in bad light or big crowds.

Richard Lewis from the force said the report gave a "balanced perspective".

The technology compares scans of faces with online databases in order to identify possible people of interest to police.

It was first used in the city centre at the Champions League final in June 2017, but it led to more than 2,000 people being wrongly matched with possible criminals.

The Locate system, which scans faces on CCTV and checks them against a pre-selected database, was used in a small-scale field trial of the system. It was able correctly to identify a person 76% of the time.

But the system was found to freeze or lag when several faces were in the frame, and its accuracy was significantly affected if a person was wearing objects which obscured part of their face, such as glasses or a hat.

Another system, known as Identify, compares still images to a custody database, but 68% of submissions were not of sufficient quality for the system to work.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-46359789

A legal challenge against the use of automatic facial recognition technology by police has been launched by a civil liberties group.

Automatic Facial Recognition uses CCTV or surveillance cameras to record and compare facial characteristics with images on police databases.

Lawyers for Big Brother Watch argue the use of AFR breaches the rights of individuals under the Human Rights Act.

The Metropolitan Police says the technology will help keep London safe.

The system is being piloted in London, with three other forces - Humberside, South Wales, and Leicestershire - also trialling the technology.

However, it has proved controversial, with one watchdog describing its use in public places as "very intrusive".

Court documents, seen by the BBC, also claim the Home Office has failed in its duty to properly regulate AFR's use.

Manufacturers of the systems say they can monitor multiple cameras in real time "matching" thousands of faces a minute with images already held by the police - often mugshots taken of suspects who have been taken into custody.

However, Big Brother Watch says the Met's own research, published in May, shows that during trials only two genuine matches were made out of 104 system "alerts".

The group also takes issue with the length of time the images gathered by AFR are held.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44928792

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
ACB7AAAB-7999-476C-9450-AD5F08F5302A.jpeg :shrug:

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes

sounds a bit sinister

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

Pretty sure I remember something from last season about facial recognition being used at the ground, and that we were being recorded as we entered so had to remove anything that may obscure our faces - Presumably our image and ticket details will have been matched together and it may therefore mean that anyone trying to get in on a ticket that they were not the original buyer for may get caught out by the system and denied entry if they can't prove they are the rightful purchaser of the ticket? (at a guess) as well as looking out for those who have been banned

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
"Facial recognition will be in operation...

Pretty sure I remember something from last season about facial recognition being used at the ground, and that we were being recorded as we entered so had to remove anything that may obscure our faces - Presumably our image and ticket details will have been matched together and it may therefore mean that anyone trying to get in on a ticket that they were not the original buyer for may get caught out by the system and denied entry if they can't prove they are the rightful purchaser of the ticket? (at a guess) as well as looking out for those who have been banned

Or it’s a lie. Last time they said this and the stewards told us to take hats off there were *no* cameras at the WSU entrance

Stuff like this annoys me and I wish the FSF or own supporters club would challenge the club on it. If they really are then where is their policy as a ‘data controller’ under GDPR? What are they storing? How long for? Etc....

SAC

May 21, 2014
It's just a plod watching you to see if he/she recognises your face.

Cullip4

Oct 4, 2003
Brighton
It’s probably two fold, firstly it will match a face to a ticket so no matter where you decide to sit, if you do something they will still be able to identify you quickly.

Secondly I seem to remember Palace banned a grand total of 0 of those fans that broke through the barriers despite knowing who they were, in fact I seem to remember Parish deliberately telling them to avoid the cup game or they would be picked up by the police, so maybe they are hoping to pick off a few this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Or it’s a lie. Last time they said this and the stewards told us to take hats off there were *no* cameras at the WSU entrance

Stuff like this annoys me and I wish the FSF or own supporters club would challenge the club on it. If they really are then where is their policy as a ‘data controller’ under GDPR? What are they storing? How long for? Etc....

Drop Barber a GDPR Request after the game and you can find out.

“The answer to a right of access request includes two stages. First, the controller must check whether any personal data of the person seeking information is being processed at all. In any case, one must report a positive or negative result. If the answer should be positive, the second stage involves a whole range of information. The right of access includes information about the processing purposes, the categories of personal data processed, the recipients or categories of recipients, the planned duration of storage or criteria for their definition, information about the rights of the data subject such as rectification, erasure or restriction of processing, the right to object, instructions on the right to lodge a complaint with the authorities, information about the origin of the data, as long as these were not collected from the data subject himself, and any existence of an automated decision-taking process, including profiling, with meaningful information about the logic involved as well as the implications and intended effects of such procedures. Last but not least, if personal data is transmitted to a third country without an adequate level of protection, data subjects must be informed of all appropriate safeguards which have been taken.”

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Secondly I seem to remember Palace banned a grand total of 0 of those fans that broke through the barriers despite knowing who they were, in fact I seem to remember Parish deliberately telling them to avoid the cup game or they would be picked up by the police, so maybe they are hoping to pick off a few this time.

I mentioned the match to a police officer last evening at a friends yesterday, and they said there were some outstanding warrants from last time and they would have spotters out so guess this is just part of that.

edna krabappel

Jul 7, 2003
sounds a bit sinister

Have you got an iPhone? If you have, it frequently identifies faces in your photographs from people you've previously tagged, and will suggest grouping them by the individual it picks up. No idea if Samsungs do the same, but what is being suggested doesn't seem like much of a step forward (technologically speaking) from that.

Either that, or it'll simply mean the football spotters from both forces involved identifying known dickheads as they turn up. Can't see any issue with that, myself, but I'm sure some people will find it upsetting...

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Here, I’ll save them the bother

Attachments

• 1D862981-AA8B-4557-A35E-E368AC4C1616.jpeg
    1D862981-AA8B-4557-A35E-E368AC4C1616.jpeg
    31.4 KB · Views: 549

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions