Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Brighton Taxis App

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Does anyone have experience of this app? Is it reliable? Or more to the point are the drivers which use it reliable? I presume it’s for spontaneous and immediate bookings as opposed to pre-booking? How immediate is it?

Thanks in advance.

PS I know about Uber but prefer to stick with Brighton taxis.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
I use the app all the time very reliable, think Germany may be a tad outside their area though. You can pre-book..:xmas:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Looks like it's this company: https://www.brightontaxis.com/smartphone-app/

Worthing has a poor Uber-like app and, looking at that Brighton Taxis page, they use the same one. I had guessed that some company had created an app that companies coming under pressure from Uber/Lyft could use to try and compete on convenience. The Worthing one works well enough. Book with a few taps, monitor the cab en route and get notified when it's with you.

It lacks the elegance of Uber, but it's functionally sound and works well enough.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Does anyone have experience of this app? Is it reliable? Or more to the point are the drivers which use it reliable? I presume it’s for spontaneous and immediate bookings as opposed to pre-booking? How immediate is it?

Thanks in advance.

If you mean the new one called MyTaxi then I downloaded last week just to see. Very Uber like BUT despite Uber providing estimated fares for yonks the writers of this app clearly deemed it unnecessary ...... doh ! It also uses the standard Brighton drivers which means you're going to get the same level of 'service' as normal.

If you mean the Streanline app then avoid it ...... awful, awful, awful !!!!

I'll be sticking to Uber.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Looks like it's this company: https://www.brightontaxis.com/smartphone-app/

Worthing has a poor Uber-like app and, looking at that Brighton Taxis page, they use the same one. I had guessed that some company had created an app that companies coming under pressure from Uber/Lyft could use to try and compete on convenience. The Worthing one works well enough. Book with a few taps, monitor the cab en route and get notified when it's with you.

It lacks the elegance of Uber, but it's functionally sound and works well enough.

That's it, works well. :thumbsup:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
not used it- calling 01273 204060 seems quick enough- select option 1 for pickup from last place you got a taxi from, and done. i think most cabs have facility to take contactless payments too, now?

Only if you tell them you want to pay by card when you book. I used 204060 a few weeks ago as Uber was on surge pricing. When I tried to pay by card the driver said I needed to have said that when I rang and he didn't have the facilities to take cards ..... trip to cashpoint thus costing me more money. I caught Uber home.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
not used it- calling 01273 204060 seems quick enough- select option 1 for pickup from last place you got a taxi from, and done. i think most cabs have facility to take contactless payments too, now?

Not all of them. I got caught out before the West Ham game and had to take a time consuming detour at rush hour.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham

Thanks in advance.

1200x630bb.jpg :xmas:

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If you mean the new one called MyTaxi then I downloaded last week just to see. Very Uber like BUT despite Uber providing estimated fares for yonks the writers of this app clearly deemed it unnecessary ...... doh ! It also uses the standard Brighton drivers which means you're going to get the same level of 'service' as normal.

If you mean the Streanline app then avoid it ...... awful, awful, awful !!!!

I'll be sticking to Uber.

Only if you tell them you want to pay by card when you book. I used 204060 a few weeks ago as Uber was on surge pricing. When I tried to pay by card the driver said I needed to have said that when I rang and he didn't have the facilities to take cards ..... trip to cashpoint thus costing me more money. I caught Uber home.

:lolol:

I should have started a sweep stake about how long it would take until you were all over this thread

Excellent work Sir :thumbsup:

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As an aside I’m feeling very upbeat and perky this morning. What could possibly go wrong today?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
That’s the baby. Thanks, and thanks to [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] and everyone else. Cinders will go to the ball!

The Worthing app allows you to store a card and that is used automatically for payment at the end of your ride. I've not used it yet as I only noticed the option after I last used the app, but I'm assuming it works.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The Worthing app allows you to store a card and that is used automatically for payment at the end of your ride. I've not used it yet as I only noticed the option after I last used the app, but I'm assuming it works.

If it is Arrow then you can store 2 (business / personal) which is handy. Even takes Amex.

Only downside is my address is a bit tricky, and the drivers rarely use the notes which I use to help them locate my address. They usually 'guess' and end up 2 miles away. I've missed a few trains because of this

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Used it a couple of times for a pre booking, useful for me as it can take cards so don't need to worry about cash. Only problem I had with it was it did not pick up my location properly when I wanted to use it on the return journey so ended up using Uber.
Driver was great a season ticket holder in the East stand.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
By coincidence, I downloaded the Brighton and Hove Taxis app last night. But there seems to be a bug in it as it's not possible to enter credit card details, the screen just goes blank when I try to do so.

I'm going to try My Taxi and see what that's like.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here