Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Europa League 2

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
UEFA are going to start a third European club tournament that will add more clubs.
Uefa president Aleksander Ceferin said: "The new competition makes Uefa's club competitions more inclusive than ever before. There will be more matches for more clubs, with more associations represented in the group stages.
Including Thursday afternoon KO's. There's going to be big battles on the last day of the season to 1/ finish above the bottom three & 2/ finish below the Europa League qualifying (9th?).

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
does UEFA not stop to ask why their competitions *need* to be more inclusive. isnt the whole point of higher level competition to be exclusive?

and if serious about inclusive, why not follow the FA Cup example and have a european wide knock out cup? not piss about with noddy leagues.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
The Europa League had grown too big, and I can see why they needed to do this. However, I wonder whether reviving the Cup Winners' Cup may have been a better option.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
I’m looking forward to a Thursday 5pm kick off against Lichensteins 3rd best team.

Let’s get excited people! :cheery::albion2::rave::vuvu::rave:

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
What about a Cup for the League winners alone, one for the cup winners, and one for everyone else.
Dunno why no one has thought of it.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
The Europa League is already viewed as the Johnstone's Paint Trophy of European club football isn't it?

What sort of stature will this new one have?

It's when they start allowing the 'big clubs' to put their U23s in that we will know it is propose shit house

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The Europa League is already viewed as the Johnstone's Paint Trophy of European club football isn't it?

This could be a chance to make the EL better.

Get rid of the poorer teams and the months of qulification

I think the nations league has shown smaller teams will enjoy playing teams at a similar level and winning a few games

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Just because it is in England doesn't make that true of the rest of Europe.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I think a lot of people have read this wrong. There are no extra European places allocated, so it doesn't increase our chances of getting into Europe.

The Europa League will be halved in size from 64 to 32 teams.

So based on the coefficients at the end of last season the difference would be that (other than Champions getting through via failing in CL Qualifiers) the Europa League would only feature nations from Spain, England, Italy, Germany, France, Russia, Portugal, Ukraine, Belgium, Turkey, Austria, Switzerland, Czech Republic, Netherlands and Greece.

So clubs from Croatia, Denmark, Israel, Cyprus, Romania, Poland etc would only be able to qualify for Europa League 2.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here