Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Duffy goal

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I don't know if this has been pointed out already, but Duffy's goal yesterday was the result of incredibly quick thinking by not only Bruno but also Duffy and Dunk, who both showed some pretty impressive foot speed too..

By my reckoning, there were only nine seconds between the ball going out for a corner and Duffy making contact. And, incredibly, only four between Bruno taking the kick and the ball reaching Duffy's head.

So either Duffy and Dunk immediately realised that a corner would be awarded and instantly raced forward from the half-way line or, even more incredibly, ran around 50 yards in four seconds, Duffy meeting March's cross seven yards out. And these are two players who are not regarded as being blessed with as much pace as some others.

Add to that the fact that March's cross was so perfectly flighted into Duffy's run that it didn't require him to slow down or break stride and you have a very special goal even before you take into account Bruno's athleticism in volleying Propper's crossfield pass against the defender.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I remember being very annoyed that the corner was taken quickly, as one of our biggest strengths is Dunk and Duffy at set-pieces. Yes, they made astonishing speed to get up, Dunk so much so that he couldn't stay on his feet when he got there!

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Dunk & Bruno are two players who know when they have made a mistake but then put in a massive effort to put things right. To me this marks a great player because they show a really high level of passion/commitment/personal standards. Lots of players make mistakes and just shrug it off.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Great to see us improvise and show urgency.

Don't know why you don't get those more often. The advantage you get from having 2 extra men in the box and being able to set up the routines you've done in training is easily outweighed by the fact the defence has had time to get itself set.

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
I remember being very annoyed that the corner was taken quickly, as one of our biggest strengths is Dunk and Duffy at set-pieces. Yes, they made astonishing speed to get up, Dunk so much so that he couldn't stay on his feet when he got there!

Yep, I was watching in the pub surrounded any albion fans and just as I was heard to be moaning in a loud voice “FFS not a bloody short corner, we never get anything from them!” Duffy buried it in the net. What do I know! :lol:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I don't know if this has been pointed out already, but Duffy's goal yesterday was the result of incredibly quick thinking by not only Bruno but also Duffy and Dunk, who both showed some pretty impressive foot speed too..

By my reckoning, there were only nine seconds between the ball going out for a corner and Duffy making contact. And, incredibly, only four between Bruno taking the kick and the ball reaching Duffy's head.

So either Duffy and Dunk immediately realised that a corner would be awarded and instantly raced forward from the half-way line or, even more incredibly, ran around 50 yards in four seconds, Duffy meeting March's cross seven yards out. And these are two players who are not regarded as being blessed with as much pace as some others.

Add to that the fact that March's cross was so perfectly flighted into Duffy's run that it didn't require him to slow down or break stride and you have a very special goal even before you take into account Bruno's athleticism in volleying Propper's crossfield pass against the defender.

:clap:

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
From the Propper pass to the Duff header this shows why training for set moves are so important

Great to see us improvise and show urgency.

Don't know why you don't get those more often. The advantage you get from having 2 extra men in the box and being able to set up the routines you've done in training is easily outweighed by the fact the defence has had time to get itself set.

Not sure which it was, but from start to finish - a brilliant goal.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
4589.jpg

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Bruno keeping that ball in play was simply brilliant, very similar to Wayne Bridge keeping a long ball from Gordon Greer alive to setup Orlandi with the first goal against Newcastle in the 2013 FA Cup. I think Bruno takes this one though on the athleticism shown.

(From about 50 seconds in the video below).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyn5t9xLUX8

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Maybe I would make a good coach. Instead of taking at up same positions at every corner have always thought they should vary and make a run from deeper sometimes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here