Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] BBC ONE Is Devoting Nearly THREE Hours To FA Cup Final Score?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Rather this than 3 hours of back to back antiques/tat buying and selling.

Agreed, tho highly reminiscent of the one time they tried to do Grandstand on the cheap with about three hours of snowboarding and mountain biking. Don't think they ever repeated that particular poundshop experiment :lol:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Agreed, tho highly reminiscent of the one time they tried to do Grandstand on the cheap with about three hours of snowboarding and mountain biking. Don't think they ever repeated that particular poundshop experiment :lol:

At least they are showing some of the action, rather than the Sky/BT "lets watch pundits watching the games" Saturday afternoon shite.

Hamilton

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
REALLY?! Total Abuse of our prime licence payer channel in search of cheap telly. More than a bit pathetic really.

Why? We bang on about trying to make the FA Cup interesting again, and the Beeb are trying to do that. Why shouldn't we give exposure to the cup and the teams that are still in the hat? It's in the public interest. It's a public service broadcaster. It's precisely why I pay my 41p a day.

Let me just repeat that. 41p a day.

For less than the price of the Daily Fail, I get...

BBC 1, 2, 3, 4. BBC 3 online
Radio 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and the Extra channels
iPlayer
the website
Access to original UK drama like Informer, Killing Eve, Sherlock etc etc

All for 41p a day.

And to think that there are far too many people that want to see the BBC Trust eradicated so that we can pay private broadcaster through the nose for services which should be a lot cheaper, and we can hand over control of all our media to rich money men with an agenda to pursue.

The Beeb ain't perfect, but it is a damn sight better than the alternative - a feral media landscape where you and I get fleeced.

41p a day.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Why? We bang on about trying to make the FA Cup interesting again, and the Beeb are trying to do that. Why shouldn't we give exposure to the cup and the teams that are still in the hat? It's in the public interest. It's a public service broadcaster. It's precisely why I pay my 41p a day.

iPlayer
the website

All for 41p a day.

And to think that there are far too many people that want to see the BBC Trust eradicated so that we can pay private broadcaster through the nose for services which should be a lot cheaper, and we can hand over control of all our media to rich money men with an agenda to pursue.

The Beeb ain't perfect, but it is a damn sight better than the alternative - a feral media landscape where you and I get fleeced.

41p a day.

Well said sir

bha100

Aug 25, 2011

iPlayer
the website

All for 41p a day.

41p a day.

I too enjoy the old psychological per day way of thinking, makes me feel so much better when i tell people my rent is only £28.7671232877 per day

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

iPlayer
the website

All for 41p a day.

41p a day.

That's bollocks tho isn't it. BBC could quite as easily have put today's 3 hour extravaganza on the Red Button where somebody, somewhere might care. It's the same level of patronisation they afford the women's game where they pretend not to acknowledge that it's all about filling the screen with cheap telly.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
Jun 27, 2012
REALLY?! Total Abuse of our prime licence payer channel in search of cheap telly. More than a bit pathetic really.

Its shared with BT but cheap it is not. The FA Cup TV deal is reported to be £200m+ . Understandable the BBC is trying to find new ways of packaging it , even for the 2nd round.
its also a fairly normal format now with BT and Sky having similar formats for both Champions League and the Championship where goals and highlights are shown as they happen across an evening. And i (think) this is the 3rd or 4th year they've done this for Round 1 and 2 on a sunday afternoon.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Its shared with BT but cheap it is not. The FA Cup TV deal is reported to be £200m+ . Understandable the BBC is trying to find new ways of packaging it , even for the 2nd round.
its also a fairly normal format now with BT and Sky having similar formats for both Champions League and the Championship where goals and highlights are shown as they happen across an evening. And i (think) this is the 3rd or 4th year they've done this for Round 1 and 2 on a sunday afternoon.

So what's the BBC's aim this Sunday afternoon? To drive the majority of licence payers on to BBC2? Oh hang on, that's showing dreary snooker. BBC3 maybe? Nope, that's internet only. BBC4 then? Nope, only starts at 7pm. So essentially it's a choice between meaningless football and meaningless snooker. Sake!

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
Jun 27, 2012
So what's the BBC's aim this Sunday afternoon? To drive the majority of licence payers on to BBC2? Oh hang on, that's showing dreary snooker. BBC3 maybe? Nope, that's internet only. BBC4 then? Nope, only starts at 7pm. So essentially it's a choice between meaningless football and meaningless snooker. Sake!

Or thousands of hours of TV on iPlayer. ? or 40,000 hours of audio on BBC Sounds ? or live Radio 1, 1x, 2, 3, 4, 6, AN, World Service or Red Button or premier league commentary on 5 Live or Online or local radio. And i guess its meaningless for you and maybe others but the audience figures for the early rounds of the cup, thanks to formats like this, are impressive.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Or thousands of hours of TV on iPlayer. ? or 40,000 hours of audio on BBC Sounds ? or live Radio 1, 1x, 2, 3, 4, 6, AN, World Service or Red Button or premier league commentary on 5 Live or Online or local radio. And i guess its meaningless for you and maybe others but the audience figures for the early rounds of the cup, thanks to formats like this, are impressive.

That's all good (and I totally agree, I worked for the BBC for a number of years and normally have nothing but total respect for their output). But to foist 3 hours of pub bootball on the prime channel of a weekend afternoon? That's just taking the piss. It's like the Red Button had never been invented :shrug:

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
I too enjoy the old psychological per day way of thinking, makes me feel so much better when i tell people my rent is only £28.7671232877 per day

All joking aside, how are you/anyone expected to pay over £200 a week in rent? It's a scandle and needs sorting, disgusting profiteering, partly by the buy to let brigade who suffered from low interest rates on their capital and are now ripping off their fellow citizens by charging exorbitant rents to justify supply and demand housing shortages. Despicable behaviour.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
Jun 27, 2012
That's all good (and I totally agree, I worked for the BBC for a number of years and normally have nothing but total respect for their output). But to foist 3 hours of pub bootball on the prime channel of a weekend afternoon? That's just taking the piss. It's like the Red Button had never been invented :shrug:

Last week in this slot was a repeat showing (perhaps the 4th or 5th showing) of Shrek 2. I imagine some felt the same about that. (and some loved it as a Sunday afternoon choice).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here