Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Robins singing at night

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Do you get this in Brighton ?

Doesn't bother me but it's psychologically a bit odd. :lolol:

Starts around this time of year, they are as I type doing their full morning chorus under street lights outside.

It's very weird. I was watching Question Time the other night with the full blast of robins thinking it was morning outside.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

Starts around this time of year, they are as I type doing their full morning chorus under street lights outside.

It's very weird. I was watching Question Time the other night with the full blast of robins thinking it was morning outside.

yes..they do sing in the dark in Brighton

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
How do you know they are robins? can you see them at night?

From the song which I know and also the fact it's a well known phenomenon in city centres. They used to think it was street lights but now think it maybe be something to do with robins learning to sing when it is quiet.

Affects blackbird apparently, but it's definitely robins. I'm not walking out there now, but I've seen them in the past.

Just wondering whether you get the same in Brighton.

As I type full blown morning chorus going on outside.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
From the song which I know and also the fact it's a well known phenomenon in city centres. They used to think it was street lights but now think it maybe be something to do with robins learning to sing when it is quiet.

Hmmm a full six hours or more before it starts to get light. No idea what goes on in Brighton, but here in the country all we hear is the odd owl out hunting.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Hmmm a full six hours or more before it starts to get light. No idea what goes on in Brighton, but here in the country all we hear is the odd owl out hunting.

You can hear them over the television. They used to wake me up about 2/3 thinking it was morning, but I've learnt to live with it.

Reason I'm posting it's been particularly full blast this week starting at 11.

Another example of London weirdness, the SW London parakeet as spread very very east. Mate of mine took a video of one in his garden on the Essex borders.

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jun 26, 2009
East
I thought this was going to be a thread about Bristol City’s nocturnal transfer activity... :shrug:

Affects blackbird apparently, but it's definitely robins. I'm not walking out there now, but I've seen them in the past.

Interesting comment re Robins learning to sing when it is quiet. At the recent dedication service for our new War Memorial on a glorious autumn morning our two minutes silence was accompanied by a Robin Redbreast singing his little heart out which made the occasion even more moving.

dazzer6666

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
You can hear them over the television. They used to wake me up about 2/3 thinking it was morning, but I've learnt to live with it.

Reason I'm posting it's been particularly full blast this week starting at 11.

Another example of London weirdness, the SW London parakeet as spread very very east. Mate of mine took a video of one in his garden on the Essex borders.

Seen the odd parakeet around Canary Wharf when out jogging at lunchtimes - not seen them there before this year.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
How do you know they are robins? can you see them at night?

Their sweet song is a lot different to a Blackbird, higher pitched and more complicated. To make it easier the Robin is the only bird in the UK to defend its territory in all months of the year - singing is part of its strategy. Also their equilibrium is upset by street lighting that is too bright. Enjoy them - better than hearing dogs barking or cats yowling at night!

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane

First sign of the apocalypse!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brianwade

Jan 31, 2008

I think it's more likely to be a Brown Thrush as they deffo sing at night and have more songs than the West Stand - but that would n't be too difficult now would it ?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Not the first Robin to get 'night fever' of course...

robin.jpg

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I think it's more likely to be a Brown Thrush as they deffo sing at night and have more songs than the West Stand - but that would n't be too difficult now would it ?

Def robins, I'm seen them. You get very few varieties of birds round here

Pigeons, black birds, robins and parrots.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here