Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Percentage of time in opposition half - lowest in the league

jeremyfisher

Dec 8, 2013
Here's the current table of the percentage of time spent in the opposition half. It does not make for pretty reading:

time in opposition half.png

It's no wonder that so many of us are unhappy about performances this season. There's no knocking that the current strategy is working in terms of points gained, but it's no fun watching games where so much of the game is in our half of the field.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The poll “When you watch Albion play” would suggest that it is very much the minority of us that are not happy with the performances this season. Over 90% on the current vote are accepting of how we play, given the league we are in. This is a massive vote of confidence from most NSCers.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
We scored 3 against Man Utd, have one of the top scorers in the PL and a decent numbers of points so far. I'm not going to worry about being bottom of the list of a meaningless statistic.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
We scored 3 against Man Utd, have one of the top scorers in the PL and a decent numbers of points so far. I'm not going to worry about being bottom of the list of a meaningless statistic.
That is not a meaningless statistic no matter how much spin gets put on it.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Here's the current table of the percentage of time spent in the opposition half. It does not make for pretty reading:

View attachment 102475

It's no wonder that so many of us are unhappy about performances this season. There's no knocking that the current strategy is working in terms of points gained, but it's no fun watching games where so much of the game is in our half of the field.

So many of us? Stick to Beatrix Potter.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

I wouldn't say it's meaningless at all. We've really struggled to keep the ball and push up the pitch this season bar a few games - you have to be honest and admit we were very lucky to get those 3 wins on the bounce too. We're averaging a couple of shots on target a game or so - we can't keep on riding our luck and relying on Murray to take his one chance of the game. I know CH is defence minded but I'm sure that statistic concerns him too, and hopefully something they've been working on a lot

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
I’m in the results is priority catagory. Not a massive surprise though that statistic. We have not kept the ball well enough for weeks although I thought the first 30 v Leicester before the red card were a lot better. However it’s what you do with the ball when you have it and when you don’t. In general we have defended well and in Murray we have a striker with the best conversion rate in the league. Look at the stats for Fulham and Southampton. If possession was all that mattered they would be mid table

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
The poll “When you watch Albion play” would suggest that it is very much the minority of us that are not happy with the performances this season. Over 90% on the current vote are accepting of how we play, given the league we are in. This is a massive vote of confidence from most NSCers.

Is that assumption valid? I would have voted that the result is the most important thing but I'm not happy at all about how we are playing. Unless there are 3 basket cases in this league then I think we are very real candidates for relegation if we don't change our approach. In that respect that statistic in the OP is a concern

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Is that assumption valid? I would have voted that the result is the most important thing but I'm not happy at all about how we are playing. Unless there are 3 basket cases in this league then I think we are very real candidates for relegation if we don't change our approach. In that respect that statistic in the OP is a concern

The amount of stick I have got on here recently for suggesting that we set out not to lose rather than to win, even against the lower league sides, would belie the fact that most on here are unhappy with watching the borefest fearful negative style we now play, which I find unbelievable. But there you go :smile:

D

Deleted member 2719

To be fair Icy your poll is set up in such away that the stats would never have read anything different.

For example you could have put how many more games can you tolerate when watching us play with no ambition.

1) No more
2) 5 more
3) to the end of the season
4) I can take a lifetime of Albion being unambitious

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think that one third into the season, with none of the 4 attacking big signings having scored or nailed down a place in the team, the poor performance away at Cardiff and failure to put away the 10 men of Leicester fans have a right to be concerned, especially now that some of these moribund teams have started to win a few games.

Now is the time for Hughton to let one or two off the leash.

D

Deleted member 2719

View attachment 102475

This stat is an Albion one but probably a Hughton one also, I do not expect him to change it as he is a man of principle and we will die a slow death from boredom.

Destroying our creativity in our wide players really does do my head in, I wonder what they feel like if the truth be known.

I am pretty sure I could mind-read what Knocky thinks.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
The amount of stick I have got on here recently for suggesting that we set out not to lose rather than to win, even against the lower league sides, would belie the fact that most on here are unhappy with watching the borefest fearful negative style we now play, which I find unbelievable. But there you go :smile:

From what I've seen the stick has come from a dozen or so that jump all over anyone suggesting a need to change. I'm not so sure a majority are "happy" ... unless they really believe we can go on playing as we are and survive of course

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

View attachment 102475

Yeah, because I'd much rather be like Fulham (9th) and be propping up the Premier League, but still having loads of possession to do feck all with :shrug:

Gotta be honest, there's only one table I'm interested in...

D

Deleted member 2719

I think that one third into the season, with none of the 4 attacking big signings having scored or nailed down a place in the team, the poor performance away at Cardiff and failure to put away the 10 men of Leicester fans have a right to be concerned, especially now that some of these moribund teams have started to win a few games.

Even if he does though he will have them on a choker chain, I too would love to see them get some time.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Yeah, because I'd much rather be like Fulham (9th) and be propping up the Premier League, but still having loads of possession to do feck all with :shrug:

Gotta be honest, there's only one table I'm interested in...

But our current form is very worrying - yes we're still above the likes of fulham and Huddersfield, but not for much longer if our performances continue in the same way. Huddersfield were fantastic last weekend, the last (only?) time we've played anything like that this season was against United

A long way to go though...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It's certainly a worrying stat in terms of the next two games. Huddersfield have scored 8 goals all season. So have Palace. It's really asking for trouble sitting back and inviting them to take multiple pot shots at our goal instead of putting them on the back foot. They'll think its Xmas come early.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex

100% agree. I'm concerned at the moment. I do hope I'm wrong, but all I can see happening today is Huddersfield tearing into us and not being able to cope with it. I'd snatch your hand off right now for a point.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
100% agree. I'm concerned at the moment. I do hope I'm wrong, but all I can see happening today is Huddersfield tearing into us and not being able to cope with it. I'd snatch your hand off right now for a point.

To think we could make the same mistake three years running is unthinkable, for that reason I expect us to be super competitive but they will have too much for us as we are so drilled in defensive football and having wingers as back up fullbacks that it limits what little we have to offer up front. Even if we take the lead I won’t expect us to be able to hold it.

I will settle for a spirited and competitive display even if we lose. If we just sit back and give them the ball back to come again I will seriously question just how far CH can take us. Three capitulations at the same place is one too far for me.

The players and the manager have to show real steel and aggression today.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here