Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Second round FA cup Solihull Moor

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Is anyone else watching this game on BBC 2?
Solihull have had a goal disallowed against Blackpool, flagged as offside, from a corner. There was a very small pass, just a few inches, the second player stopped the ball dead, and the corner taker whipped it in for a player to score.
The linesman's flag went up the minute, the corner taker touched the ball, although it wasn't played forward.
Matt Upson didn't see anything wrong with it.
It's still 0-0.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Is anyone else watching this game on BBC 2?
Solihull have had a goal disallowed against Blackpool, flagged as offside, from a corner. There was a very small pass, just a few inches, the second player stopped the ball dead, and the corner taker whipped it in for a player to score.
The linesman's flag went up the minute, the corner taker touched the ball, although it wasn't played forward.
Matt Upson didn't see anything wrong with it.
It's still 0-0.

Perhaps the lino flagged for "wtf are you doing, moving the ball 6"? How's that going to help you? Got to be a Law against tomfoolery - maybe bringing the game into disrepute?"...

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Lino got it right though.
The ball doesn't have to move

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Well ive turned over to watch Dion Dublin in the Tuck Shop :moo:

Running off with a box of sweets for the BBC crew.

The analysis is the Lino got it right. The ball wasn't played forward, but the rules say the corner taker was in a offside position the minute the ball was stopped dead (as read by Dan Walker).
Solihull are the better team so far.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
I am OK with the decision. In the current version of the law the player is offside when he plays it (i.e. makes the cross) and is offside because the other player 'touched' the ball.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
Two explanations above yet I still don't understand. I think I'm a bit dense.
Seems stoopid to me.
Offside law must've been put in place to rule out "goal-hanging" and even with all the reasonably modern "2nd phase, becomes active" etc additions I just can't see how this has anything to do with being offside. :shrug:
Just seems like a law that's chewing off its own leg.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Must admit that I had always thought that the ball had to be played forward. Learn something every day, although I think it’s a stupid use of the law.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Seems stoopid to me.
Offside law must've been put in place to rule out "goal-hanging" and even with all the reasonably modern "2nd phase, becomes active" etc additions I just can't see how this has anything to do with being offside. :shrug:

To gain a better understanding of why this was the correct decision, just think about the following.

Murray standing behind the opposition defenders in an offside position, Ryan kicks the ball forward, Murray runs from his offside position in the opposition half, and heads the ball just inside our half. Linesman raises flag for offside and referee blows whistle and award the opposition a free kick for the offside offence.

The Corner taker has effectively taken the same action as Murray (as above) by moving back towards the ball, and as soon as he touches the ball, he is active and has moved from an offside position.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Seems stoopid to me.

Have to admit I was also slightly confused .... until I watched it and it became obvious why ..... https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/46408172

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

About 5-6 feet as it turned out!

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
Have to admit I was also slightly confused .... until I watched it and it became obvious why ..... https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/46408172

I watched that last night and the only way I can see that Carter is offside is if the ball travels forward slightly after it was trapped/stopped. I fully understand that. Is that what the linesman is suggesting? Could he have noticed 3mm of forward travel of the ball? This is the only bit that needs clarification for me.

Just to be certain. If Carter had played the ball out from the corner and it had bumped against the second player's ankle on the way by and then Carter had crossed the ball it wouldn't have been offside?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I watched that last night and the only way I can see that Carter is offside is if the ball travels forward slightly after it was trapped/stopped. I fully understand that. Is that what the linesman is suggesting? Could he have noticed 3mm of forward travel of the ball? This is the only bit that needs clarification for me.

Just to be certain. If Carter had played the ball out from the corner and it had bumped against the second player's ankle on the way by and then Carter had crossed the ball it wouldn't have been offside?

Is the argument that trapping the ball is not the same as a pass, and Carter is instead picking up a loose ball? Not sure that is going to wash, ball was clearly played for Carter to cross in...

your second point would surely have been offside as well

The offside rule, for clarity:

A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:
(i) interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate ...

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here