Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Hike in rail fares.

The Clamp

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Brighton to London season ticket? That’s going up by £148 a year.
Rail bosses saying they need the money and we’ll see the difference.
How the bloody hell is our government (yes yes and previous governments) not reigning these fraudsters in? Shameful. Criminal.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Brighton to London season ticket? That’s going up by £148 a year.
Rail bosses saying they need the money and we’ll see the difference.
How the bloody hell is our government (yes yes and previous governments) not reigning these fraudsters in? Shameful. Criminal.

As Richard Nixon said (according to HST) 'Get them by the balls, and their hearts and minds will follow'. And you can be super sure that on the first day back at work in 2019 the rail network will be extra shit, just to remind you that they OWN your sorry arse and there's not a damn thing you can do about it.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
And yet EVERY year the prices go up the idiot rail operators ( Southern Fail in particular ) and tossers such as Grayling say it's to pay for improvements. WHAT improvements ? The service gets worse year on year and has for the last decade. They are LIARS ..... from that stupid bint Angie Doll all the way up to the Minister of Non-Transport !!!!

Time they all went to prision. Time people just steamed the barriers and got on for free.

The Clamp

Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
And yet EVERY year the prices go up the idiot rail operators ( Southern Fail in particular ) and tossers such as Grayling say it's to pay for improvements. WHAT improvements ? The service gets worse year on year and has for the last decade. They are LIARS ..... from that stupid bint Angie Doll all the way up to the Minister of Non-Transport !!!!

Time they all went to prision. Time people just steamed the barriers and got on for free.

Agreed. This will take some serious public disorder to sort out, nobody else cares.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
So what have these price rises brought to customers over the years.

Improved timetables train times - No
Less trains running late or cancelled - No
More trains - Depends where you are and want to go to
More comfortable travel - Is standing on overcrowded trains ever comfortable

Just a promise of a brighter future, someday, when that day is who knows

zefarelly

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
If I was an employer, I'd swerve anyone who said they relied on trains to get to work. It's utterly disgraceful how badly run, shabby, unreliable and comparatively expensive the train companies, and rail network is.

Old Lambrettas run by ham fisted poverty stricken scooter boys in the 1980's were faster and more reliable.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

It needs someone far more organised to arrange a barrier storming every time there is a strike.

Edit - I guess the day after would be better

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
In the main(line) I lean towards free enterprise economics, but I wouldn’t mind seeing a renationalised single entity running the whole thing. One silly reason is simply to end the constant moaning. (BR was despised by its regular users).

I’m certain rail fares will remain high forever. There’s something very unique about our rail system - the oldest in the world by far, boxed in by millions of homes and other premises, a complex and irrational spagetti of routes from the early days of 100’s of rival companies. Plus the UK has such exacting standards in constructing new infrastructure that the costs per mile are astronomical, including a small army of experts on safety, ecology etc.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
While there continues to be hikes in rail fares, and service disruption, great to know that Sir Richard Branson has had the best part of £306m in dividends in his 22 years of running the Virgin franchise. The joint venture with stage coach took a total of £600m in dividends.

The magic money tree. It's magic because it takes the money out of public services, and puts them into the pockets of billionaires.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
If I was an employer, I'd swerve anyone who said they relied on trains to get to work. It's utterly disgraceful how badly run, shabby, unreliable and comparatively expensive the train companies, and rail network is.

Old Lambrettas run by ham fisted poverty stricken scooter boys in the 1980's were faster and more reliable.

Don't work in London then....

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
While there continues to be hikes in rail fares, and service disruption, great to know that Sir Richard Branson has had the best part of £306m in dividends in his 22 years of running the Virgin franchise. The joint venture with stage coach took a total of £600m in dividends.

The magic money tree. It's magic because it takes the money out of public services, and puts them into the pockets of billionaires.

Said it before, and I'm sure it will be said again, "welcome to Tory Britain"!

The f you society generated in the greed is good generation of the 80s is still alive and kicking!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Said it before, and I'm sure it will be said again, "welcome to Tory Britain"!

The f you society generated in the greed is good generation of the 80s is still alive and kicking!

Taking the trains back into public ownership is apparently 'extreme left wing' as opposed to ridiculously sensible.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Taking the trains back into public ownership is apparently 'extreme left wing' as opposed to ridiculously sensible.

You think our government could do better ? :ffsparr:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here